2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Going to disagree with that statement. How much the league and teams make is 100% relevant to players because the players make the entertainment. If teams are making a pile of money why shouldn't players get their cut? Meanwhile if the league is losing money it is easier for player to accept not getting as much as they might want. 

Transparency is a good thing.

Disagree all you want. History shows you don't mind being wrong.

The leagues offer isn't based on how much money they make or don't make any more than the cost of gas is based on how much it costs to get it to your vehicle. Revenue sharing is just a term that doesn't really mean anything other than the players asked for revenue sharing. It's just the number that the league is using to base the players percentage on. It's purposely vague.

If I were the CFLPA, I'd ask for real money, instead of so called revenue sharing.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Disagree all you want. History shows you don't mind being wrong.

The leagues offer isn't based on how much money they make or don't make any more than the cost of gas is based on how much it costs to get it to your vehicle. Revenue sharing is just a term that doesn't really mean anything other than the players asked for revenue sharing. It's just the number that the league is using to base the players percentage on. It's purposely vague.

If I were the CFLPA, I'd ask for real money, instead of so called revenue sharing.

It is two seperate negotiation points, three even.

1. Hard increases to cap

2. Extra pot of money reserved for community appearances (previously done for free)

3. Revenue sharing (when revenues exceed a certain point - the cap is increased by that amount over and above the guarenteed amount). 

Whether you agree it's the player's business or not, the definition of revenue, the agreed upon exceedance point, and how it will be applied to the cap - need to be very clearly defined in the CBA. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, disingenuos or not, a lot of young players don't really work in any career relying on their football salary to pay the bills. Or work part time somewhere.

Before Kurt Warner became rich & famous in the NFL he was playing in the Arena Football League & stocking shelves at night at a supermarket in Iowa. The guy was a college grad so why was he just scraping by as a father & husband? Probably so he'd be free to pursue his football dreams if he got a call. A lot of players are in the same boat. 

The sad reality is a lot of CFL players that attended US college for 3-4 years never graduate, and many that graduate with "special" degrees, could probably not pass a standard gr. 12 level Canadian high school exam if challenged.  Many attend school solely to play football, and the US college system and the NCAA gladly accept and accommodate these "educationally challenged" student athletes to keep billions flowing in from attendance, broadcast and sponsorship deals.  

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

The sad reality is a lot of CFL players that attended US college for 3-4 years never graduate, and many that graduate with "special" degrees, could probably not pass a standard gr. 12 level Canadian high school exam if challenged.  Many attend school solely to play football, and the US college system and the NCAA gladly accept and accommodate these "educationally challenged" student athletes to keep billions flowing in from attendance, broadcast and sponsorship deals.  

Things have changed since the 90’s though. I read that out of the 5.9 million new jobs available in the US over 70 percent of them don’t require a 4 year degree. Heck my girl friend was a master student with an engineering degree and I took a few business courses and we make within 10 k of each other. Football players especially coming to the CFL know this is there last chance, they have a back up plan trust me.