2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I feel way more offended at Wade Miller.

Definitely lost some respect.

Agree with you Jesse... Ambrosie is the messenger and delivers what he is instructed from the powers of the league. 

Have limited trust in anything coming out of Toronto, especially those connected to Argos & TSN media based there.

I would have hoped that both sides could/would have come to some kind of mutual agreement. Neither side has gained anything with me, other than ticking me off.

If the league walked away, silly move and negotiating in public is so very wrong.  Adam, getting fans to walk the picket line, is also wrong as well... 

To all who are concerned with this, just get back and hammer this thing out. That's what matters most to everyone....

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Then he needs to STHU & know his role which seems to be butterflies flying & little birds chirping by a beautiful mountain stream on a warm, sunny day. Singing. "All You Need Is Love" while wearing a great scarf. Cum by ya. 

No, he wrote the letter. He's the face of the league. People listen to what he says. He deliberately muddied the water to confuse the issue. And to make the offer look a lot better than it is. He's as involved as the BOG's. 

Are you ever gonna calm down in your old age 😂

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

I feel way more offended at Wade Miller.

Definitely lost some respect.

It actually probably isnt Wade Miller. Out of curiosity I looked up who the riders representative was this morning because a good friend of mines dad has been the chair of the Riders board for the last several years, and I was curious if he was involved in this. The Riders BOG representative was a board member. I would assume the Bombers is probably the same. 

54 minutes ago, stevethe3rd said:

It actually probably isnt Wade Miller. Out of curiosity I looked up who the riders representative was this morning because a good friend of mines dad has been the chair of the Riders board for the last several years, and I was curious if he was involved in this. The Riders BOG representative was a board member. I would assume the Bombers is probably the same. 

Not every team has a rep in the negotiation process.  It's Wade & Hamilton's Scott Mitchell who are handling the league's side of things. 

The league’s negotiation committee has been led by Hamilton Tiger-Cats’ chief executive officer and minority owner Scott Mitchell and Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ president Wade Miller. 

https://3downnation.com/2022/05/05/cfl-wants-to-eradicate-canadian-ratio-in-cba-proposal-to-players-association/

someone mentioned earlier that TSN would step in at some point and bust some heads, and that is an interesting thought. The radio broadcasters, too, have money invested in this thing and don't want to see games (even pre season games) cancelled. So they'll have something to say. I'm still betting that this thing gets sorted by the end of the week, but I'd call the game vs Sask on Monday "unlikely" at this point...

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The BOG completely screwed themselves over with Ambrosie's letter to the players around the PA.  Why would any vets, PA members, suit up for preseason now?

As Naylor states there, the revenue from those games is all for the owners not the players.

This is why the players have a significant amount of leverage.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

This is why the players have a significant amount of leverage.

There are 9 teams in the cfl, how many players are there? Easier for 9 entities to be united than all the players. Players don't have the leverage people think. They are more desperate than teams are. That's why they always get the shaft in these negotiations. 

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The BOG completely screwed themselves over with Ambrosie's letter to the players around the PA.  Why would any vets, PA members, suit up for preseason now?

As Naylor states there, the revenue from those games is all for the owners not the players.

I'm not sure I get your reasoning... why would they ever show up for preseason if they could just hold out then? Why does the letter matter?

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I'm not sure I get your reasoning... why would they ever show up for preseason if they could just hold out then? Why does the letter matter?

Did you notice that they are on strike?  There's no incentive for them to end the strike before the end of preseason.  

Without that letter I guarantee they come out Monday morning with an agreement.  Just an awful read of the situation and terrible tactic at the worst possible time.  The letter is total disrespect for the players and the fact they are organized into a union.  It galvanized them when the deal was about 90% done and players wanting to get going.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

35 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Did you notice that they are on strike?  There's no incentive for them to end the strike before the end of preseason.  

Without that letter I guarantee they come out Monday morning with an agreement.  Just an awful read of the situation and terrible tactic at the worst possible time.  The letter is total disrespect for the players and the fact they are organized into a union.  It galvanized them when the deal was about 90% done and players wanting to get going.

Still no real reasoning behind your logic, other than to throw shade Ambrosie’s way based on your opinion and assumptions. The players were already on strike before the letter went out because the deadline had passed. The strike vote was taken days earlier. Unless you are a player, you have no proof of how galvanized they are or were before the tweet. And they are still conducting informal practices rather than picketing while on strike, so this gives the appearance that they still any to get going and may anticipate a quick resolution. 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Still no real reasoning behind your logic, other than to throw shade Ambrosie’s way based on your opinion and assumptions. The players were already on strike before the letter went out because the deadline had passed. The strike vote was taken days earlier. Unless you are a player, you have no proof of how galvanized they are or were before the tweet. And they are still conducting informal practices rather than picketing while on strike, so this gives the appearance that they still any to get going and may anticipate a quick resolution. 

The players weren't on strike and were at the table.  The league left the table and put out that email/tweet and then the players took the strike action.  Yes the vote was in their back pocket.

The league hit the red button when they were closest to getting a deal done.  Pretty unbelievable given what's happened (or not happened) over the past two years with the leadership of this league struggling to even figure out how to play games.  More cancelled games.

Tomorrow is the 1st day the Alberta players can officially go on strike like the other teams but it looks they are choosing not to.  This is after they voted 99% in favour of striking... so much for solidarity between players.

https://3downnation.com/2022/05/17/stamps-elks-may-practice-on-wednesday-instead-of-going-on-strike-report/

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Tomorrow is the 1st day the Alberta players can officially go on strike like the other teams but it looks they are choosing not to.  This is after they voted 99% in favour of striking... so much for solidarity between players.

https://3downnation.com/2022/05/17/stamps-elks-may-practice-on-wednesday-instead-of-going-on-strike-report/

Yikes. If you ever got 99% to vote yes for strike mandate you better stick to your guns and strike or next round of bargaining a 99% vote will not mean much.