2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

23 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Our rules are what make the Canadian game superior to 4 down football. Nobody is tuning in because they are pumped to see Jesse Briggs average a tackle a game. I bet there are still more Lucky Whitehead jerseys in the stands than there ever will be Geoff Grey jerseys. CanCon is important to the game but we are an exciting product because of our rules, not our passports.

That's a weird comparison to make though. Yes I'm sure a star receiver will have more jerseys sold than a back up LB or OL... Hell there's probably more Lucky Jerseys than there are Stanley Bryant jerseys. Comparing starters to starters ideally in the same position would be a better idea. And I'd bet for the most part that comparison would back fire on you.

45 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's a weird comparison to make though. Yes I'm sure a star receiver will have more jerseys sold than a back up LB or OL... Hell there's probably more Lucky Jerseys than there are Stanley Bryant jerseys. Comparing starters to starters ideally in the same position would be a better idea. And I'd bet for the most part that comparison would back fire on you.

I hear you guys. To be clear if nothing changed with the ratio I'd obviously be fine with that, too.

I'm arguing for more money for imports, less for backup Canadian OL and LB just cuz they're Canadian. I trust everyone follows this logic by now, even if they don't agree with me.

I'm glad Speed brought up Bighill, he is a fantastic example. Which backup Canadian deserves more than him... on merit alone, and not nationality. There is none.

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I'm sure this is simply a move to eliminate any leverage for the PA in negotiations.

If players are here, they're not going back home.

24 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I'm arguing for more money for imports, less for backup Canadian OL and LB just cuz they're Canadian. I trust everyone follows this logic by now, even if they don't agree with me

It's a scarcity problem.  You pay Canadian backups more because there are less of them.  Need a new American linebacker? Or receiver? Go down to the pound and get a new one. Need Canadian depth? Well if you don't have it you will be scraping the bottom of a barrel to get something. 

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

I'm glad Speed brought up Bighill, he is a fantastic example. Which backup Canadian deserves more than him... on merit alone, and not nationality. There is none.

Exactly. I don't believe there are any. Now there are starters who make more that are less talented sure...but not backups.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Exactly. I don't believe there are any. Now there are starters who make more that are less talented sure...but not backups.

If Grey made more than $115k in 2021 (I cant find his salary but he was off his entry contract as of 2021) then we had at least one backup making more than Bighill thanks to his passport. I don't mean to single any one player out, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, and Grey is theoretically 1 injury away from being our 7th Canadian so he may be a starter very soon. I just think Bighill (and others) might deserve more

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

If Grey made more than $115k in 2021 (I cant find his salary but he was off his entry contract as of 2021) then we had at least one backup making more than Bighill thanks to his passport. I don't mean to single any one player out, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, and Grey is theoretically 1 injury away from being our 7th Canadian so he may be a starter very soon. I just think Bighill (and others) might deserve more

oh for sure he does. But last year was an exception to the rule. Everyone was asked to take a cut.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-labour-negotiations-roundup-1.6447760

Veteran Elks QBs reportedly partaking in rookie camp

The Edmonton Elks will be the lone CFL team to have veteran quarterbacks participating in their rookie camp Wednesday.

On Sunday, the CFL Players' Association announced it had informed eight CFL teams that it had directed veteran quarterbacks to skip rookie camps, which are slated to open Wednesday. The union added there was "the exception of one club, where there is concern by our Association over a pattern of retribution toward players by team management."

According to a source, the Elks were that club. The source spoke on the condition of anonymity as neither the CFL nor the union had specifically named the Edmonton franchise.

So veteran Nick Arbuckle, who was traded to Edmonton from Toronto last October, and sophomore Taylor Cornelius, who started eight games last year for the Elks, are expected to report to rookie camp Wednesday.

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-labour-negotiations-roundup-1.6447760

Veteran Elks QBs reportedly partaking in rookie camp

The Edmonton Elks will be the lone CFL team to have veteran quarterbacks participating in their rookie camp Wednesday.

On Sunday, the CFL Players' Association announced it had informed eight CFL teams that it had directed veteran quarterbacks to skip rookie camps, which are slated to open Wednesday. The union added there was "the exception of one club, where there is concern by our Association over a pattern of retribution toward players by team management."

According to a source, the Elks were that club. The source spoke on the condition of anonymity as neither the CFL nor the union had specifically named the Edmonton franchise.

So veteran Nick Arbuckle, who was traded to Edmonton from Toronto last October, and sophomore Taylor Cornelius, who started eight games last year for the Elks, are expected to report to rookie camp Wednesday.

Kinda tells you what Chris Jones thinks of his relationship with the bargaining unit. 

Eight other franchises had no apparent problem with having the process work itself out. Threats, a lack of fair minded actions, are some kind of indicator that the days of fake injuries at the snap are back again. 

Edited by Rod Black