2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If the CFL does grant a tenth team to the Maritimes, It should be Halifax with a population of close to 500,000.  However, this is the CFL. They're liable to grant an expansion team to Gander, NL if someone offers the money. 

Just over 400 000 - half of Winnipeg's population. 

3 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Just over 400 000 - half of Winnipeg's population. 

I've always wondered why they don't try to put a team in London, Ontario. They have a good 10,000 seat stadium just refurbished for the Univ of Western Ontario Mustangs which probably could be expanded to 24,000 & the City itself is as big or bigger with access to a larger population base than Halifax. 

Pin on Football stadiums

9 hours ago, Jesse said:

Obviously that's a completely separate point that doesn't reduce costs at all.

And I'd point out it wouldn't reduce overpays, it would just shift it to other players (back to the 750k QB deals).

And there are canadian players making league minimum too. Even if you reduce the amount of NI starters that doesn't mean you cut 1 or 2 starters.  The high end guys will always keep there jobs and pay checks. Its the bottom of the roster back up guys who would lose out, and for what? So a bottom of the roster american can play? No thanks. 

7 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

And there are canadian players making league minimum too. Even if you reduce the amount of NI starters that doesn't mean you cut 1 or 2 starters.  The high end guys will always keep there jobs and pay checks. Its the bottom of the roster back up guys who would lose out, and for what? So a bottom of the roster american can play? No thanks. 

Hate to say it but that bottom of the roster American is probably better than a bottom of the roster Canadian. How can we sit here justifying the fact that a backup Canadian OL made more money on the Bombers because of his nationality than Adam Bighill? That is a travesty. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hate to say it but that bottom of the roster American is probably better than a bottom of the roster Canadian. How can we sit here justifying the fact that a backup Canadian OL made more money on the Bombers because of his nationality than Adam Bighill? That is a travesty. 

Loved Adam Bighill's response to Bob Irving's rants about the ratio - on Twitter.  The players aren't going to ratify an agreement that removes the ratio. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm going to throw it out there that none of our back-up OL make more than Bighill - and certainly don't make as much as he is capable of earning if he went to the highest bidder.

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

1) I don't get the impression that you hate to say it at all. I kinda get that you're really angry and want to say **** like that

2) How can we justify that the back up Canadian is making more than the back up American? Because it's OUR. *******. LEAGUE. This is the CANADIAN football league. Preference, in some way shape or form, should always be given to the Canadian players, coaches, etc...

Our rules are what make the Canadian game superior to 4 down football. Nobody is tuning in because they are pumped to see Jesse Briggs average a tackle a game. I bet there are still more Lucky Whitehead jerseys in the stands than there ever will be Geoff Grey jerseys. CanCon is important to the game but we are an exciting product because of our rules, not our passports.

If they remove the "ratio," meaning the 7 Canadian starters, what would the effect be?

Basically simplifies roster management.  Anyone on the roster can be on the field at any time.  You would still need a good amount of Canadians playing O and D.  I would be in favour of this if they flipped two import spots to Canadian roster spots.  That would ensure you have at least 5 Canadians consistently getting snaps on O and D.  Realistically with the size of rosters almost everyone will get some reps, you have kickers and maybe 3-4 guys who only play special teams.

43 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Our rules are what make the Canadian game superior to 4 down football. Nobody is tuning in because they are pumped to see Jesse Briggs average a tackle a game. I bet there are still more Lucky Whitehead jerseys in the stands than there ever will be Geoff Grey jerseys. CanCon is important to the game but we are an exciting product because of our rules, not our passports.

False. 

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

There are also more Harris jerseys than Stanley Bryant jerseys.

What a **** example.

28 minutes ago, Jesse said:

There are also more Harris jerseys than Stanley Bryant jerseys.

What a **** example.

Demski too. Who would have ever guessed home town heroes putting up numbers in starting roles would sell lots of jerseys.

Whitehead is an exciting import talent that isn't even on our team anymore, I want more Whiteheads getting opportunities in our league is ultimately my point, more money to go around on imports could conceivably do that. You insist the money would only go to QBs, I disagree. Get over it.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If they remove the "ratio," meaning the 7 Canadian starters, what would the effect be?

Basically simplifies roster management.  Anyone on the roster can be on the field at any time.  You would still need a good amount of Canadians playing O and D.  I would be in favour of this if they flipped two import spots to Canadian roster spots.  That would ensure you have at least 5 Canadians consistently getting snaps on O and D.  Realistically with the size of rosters almost everyone will get some reps, you have kickers and maybe 3-4 guys who only play special teams.

Are 7 Canadian spots not already there by default? They can only have 16 Americans on the game day roster (plus 2 QBs).

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

1) I don't get the impression that you hate to say it at all. I kinda get that you're really angry and want to say **** like that

2) How can we justify that the back up Canadian is making more than the back up American? Because it's OUR. *******. LEAGUE. This is the CANADIAN football league. Preference, in some way shape or form, should always be given to the Canadian players, coaches, etc...

So, Bighill takes a major paycut before the 2019 season which was public knowledge. Wins DPOTY & you sound like you're okay with  him making less money than players of lesser ability on the Bombers or other teams because they're Canadian? Sorry, I don't. If a player is elite than they should be paid accordingly. Not because the ratio artificially inflates Canadian players salaries. It's blatantly unfair. I think most fans feel that way.