2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

This league office is an incredible disaster for many reasons but labour relations might be the worst.  

Now you have competition for American players.  Money is an obvious issue in being competitive, but if they can't iron out player relations and get CBA's done promptly why would any agent of a player who has a second-tier league option in the US recommend the CFL?

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Reducing the number of NI's on each team would increase the talent level and reduce the cost of the CFL. No one would miss the worst 2 NI's on the team. Not many folks would even be able to name them. Replace them with DI's.

Finding the 7th starting NI is tough for most teams. Reduce the guaranteed NI starters by 1 and increase the number of US starters by 1.

FTW: Globals don't take NI jobs. They are a completely different group. There are a MINIMUM number of Canadians and that number hasn't changed.. yet.

How would it reduce costs?

You guys realize that on TSN this past Tuesday night, Randy Ambrosie lied to Farhan Lalji & all CFL fans watching the draft about the state of the CBA negotiations saying they were proceeding well. When Lalji asked him how they were going he made sure to mention that the talks had got off to a great start & how both sides wanted to get a deal done.

When Lalji mentioned that the CFLPA had asked for a strike mandate from its members Ambrosie just passed it off as part of the negotiations like it was no big deal. He made no mention that the Players Association & the BOG's were at odds over ratio reduction & the CFL wanting a 10 year deal with no salary cap increase during the life of that agreement. He knew things were going badly but he still lied. 

Ambrosie smiled & lied to everyone. That is our Commissioner & the face of the CFL. You can't believe anything he says. Ambrosie has no credibility. It's no wonder the Players don't like or trust him. If he can lie to us publicly on tyelevision without any feelings of guilt, imagine what he's like in private dealing with the CFLPA. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Argos cut dj foster. 

I'm wondering if these negotiations are having an impact on these young players deciding to move on? Obviously with Foster, TO is going CDN at his spot...but there's no reason be couldn't catch on somewhere else (Ssk). He was an exciting player to watch and it too bad he's walking away. But that's 3 relatively young players all walking away within 1 week. CBA leaving too much up in the air??

14 hours ago, Jesse said:

How would it reduce costs?

There are a thousand US players for every Cdn player. Teams are forced to 'overpay' Canadian players, especially the starters. With extra US players the overpay would go down. Therefore it would reduce the amount needed to pay and get better talent.

Teams would still spend to the SMS limit, but they'd get better players for their money.

Subpar Offensive Lines are a problem on many teams

BUT, the most important positions (OT) are being filled with 95% Americans

So, to say the OL issues are created by the Canadian ratio, is over-simplifying a complex problem

Winnipeg has built an outstanding OL by signing and retaining of THE BEST American Tackles available - while scouting and drafting good Canadians

They have a good OL because of the ratio, not in spite of it

And, good players are well paid, regardless of nationality.  

47 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

There are a thousand US players for every Cdn player. Teams are forced to 'overpay' Canadian players, especially the starters. With extra US players the overpay would go down. Therefore it would reduce the amount needed to pay and get better talent.

Teams would still spend to the SMS limit, but they'd get better players for their money.

Obviously that's a completely separate point that doesn't reduce costs at all.

And I'd point out it wouldn't reduce overpays, it would just shift it to other players (back to the 750k QB deals).

28 minutes ago, Jesse said:

And I'd point out it wouldn't reduce overpays, it would just shift it to other players (back to the 750k QB deals).

That's my take too - eliminate the ratio and an incompetent GM will overspend elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm wondering if these negotiations are having an impact on these young players deciding to move on? Obviously with Foster, TO is going CDN at his spot...but there's no reason be couldn't catch on somewhere else (Ssk). He was an exciting player to watch and it too bad he's walking away. But that's 3 relatively young players all walking away within 1 week. CBA leaving too much up in the air??

If it hasn't yet it will and soon. 

I'd take foster here. We are going ni but he can catch run and would be great as a di. 

Bc ham ott ssk should all go after him. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

That's just too obvious for some. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

That's just too obvious for some. 

I don't agree that it would only lead to further overpaying QBs... good GMs will continue to be good GMs, spending evenly and appropriately while benefiting from having more money to spend on potentially better import talent... bad GMs will continue to be bad GMs and overpay out of desperation, import or otherwise

I think eliminating the ratio entirely is plainly a bad idea. Reducing it by as much as half could be a very good idea. I doubt we'll ever find out though.

5 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I don't agree that it would only lead to further overpaying QBs... good GMs will continue to be good GMs, spending evenly and appropriately while benefiting from having more money to spend on potentially better import talent... bad GMs will continue to be bad GMs and overpay out of desperation, import or otherwise

I think eliminating the ratio entirely is plainly a bad idea. Reducing it by as much as half could be a very good idea. I doubt we'll ever find out though.

It literally already happens every time the salary cap goes up.

• Jpan85 pinned and unpinned this topic
On 2022-05-06 at 4:41 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

This league office is an incredible disaster for many reasons but labour relations might be the worst.  

Now you have competition for American players.  Money is an obvious issue in being competitive, but if they can't iron out player relations and get CBA's done promptly why would any agent of a player who has a second-tier league option in the US recommend the CFL?

More to that. We have a league where the Commissioner has now taken to lying publicly about the state of the CBA negotiations.

He also says he's pushing for Halifax to be a tenth team yet we've heard zero, zip, nada from any ownership group or civic & provincial politicians out there confirming this. Is the previous ownership group still around? No plans to build a stadium anywhere. Matter of fact there's no talk at all about a stadium.

If the CFL does grant a tenth team to the Maritimes, It should be Halifax with a population of close to 500,000.  However, this is the CFL. They're liable to grant an expansion team to Gander, NL if someone offers the money. 

Then there's the current CBA negotiations & the shocking news that the CFL's Bargaining Committee led by our own Wade Miller & Scott Mitchell of the Ti Cats proposed eliminating the Canadian ratio & no increase in the salary cap during a 10 year CBA which is absolutely ludicrous. 

Does this look like a league that has any kind of solid business plan for the future? Or are the Governors fllapping around like fish on a dock out of water? We now have 4 teams that we know of that want to change the game to more of an American version or 4 down football completely with an American sized field & 4 downs. Winnipeg, Calgary, Hamilton & Toronto. Chances are the other 5 teams are in favour as well. We just don't know it.

So, what's going on? Changing the rules as a precursor for the CFL to possibly merge with the USFL & XFL? Propose a long term CBA with restricted salaries??? Is the NFL behind this? We just don't know yet. Not a good look for the CFL to be pulling this **** a week before camps start. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27