2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm disappointed that Wade is heading up that committee, if all that info is accurate. Especially the stuff about entirely eliminating the ratio... 

I know people who grew up with Wade.  That proposal has his fingerprints all over it and does not surprise me in the least.

It is just tactics..they compromise probably go to 5 starting Cdn. Something has to give because the teams have to overpay for starting Cdn players now that we are losing so many to the NFL. 20 years ago it was rare to lose one drafted Cdn player to the NFL, now we never know who could be in the NFL... the CFL has got to change the ratio imo.

Edited by bb1

3 minutes ago, bb1 said:

It is just tactics..they compromise probably go to 5 starting Cdn. Something has to give because the teams have to overpay for starting Cdn players now that we are losing so many to the NFL. 20 years ago it was rare to lose one drafted Cdn player to the NFL, now we never know who could be in the NFL... the CFL has got to change the ratio imo.

It's hard to believe that only 50 years ago, player's came North because the CFL often paid better.

What I would like the league to consider:

"The USFL will use sensors in game balls to measure first downs during its inaugural season that kicks off April 16. The sensors will enable “first down measurements that are more accurate than ever,” the league said in a tweet.

Referees will not use chains to measure first downs, a departure from the NFL and college football. A broadcast of a USFL pre-season game on Friday included graphics of the league’s first-down system which appeared similar to the line-judging system in tennis that is powered by Hawk-Eye’s ball-tracking cameras. "

We all know about how difficult spotting the ball is.

5 minutes ago, Mark F said:

"The USFL will use sensors in game balls to measure first downs during its inaugural season that kicks off April 16. The sensors will enable “first down measurements that are more accurate than ever,” the league said in a tweet.

Referees will not use chains to measure first downs, a departure from the NFL and college football. A broadcast of a USFL pre-season game on Friday included graphics of the league’s first-down system which appeared similar to the line-judging system in tennis that is powered by Hawk-Eye’s ball-tracking cameras. "

I would be interested in this too. I wonder if you can pinpoint the time of the whistle with where the ball is? 

I would watch a USFL game but... ew... no. 

18 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Oh man I want that in the cfl. 

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

I would be interested in this too. I wonder if you can pinpoint the time of the whistle with where the ball is? 

I would watch a USFL game but... ew... no. 

That seems to be a lot of people's sentiment.  The usfl crowds in the hub for away teams makes the argos crowd look like bama

25 minutes ago, Mark F said:

The USFL had to modify their plan after 1 week.  The sensors in the balls seemed to be affecting kicks so they stopped using them on kicking plays.  Haven't seen any updates (for better or worse) since that happened a couple weeks ago.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/24/usfl-changed-kicking-balls-for-week-two-due-to-issues-with-sensor/

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That “fair bit of heat” is 6 tweets in the 30 minutes their post has been up. That lack of response may be a big reason why the CFL is in trouble. 

Their earlier tweet has more reaction if that make you feel any better.  Besides, these tweets are their reaction to the heat, not the actual cause of it.  There was a lot more talk on Twitter last night when the news about the ratio proposal came out.

I don't watch and follows the CFL because it has Canadians in it...and that comes from playing ball as a Canadian on both sides of the  border...I watch as I like the game and want to be entertained...could care less where players are from, but just want the team I  root for be able to field the best players they can...do I want to see all Canadians eliminated...would it make the overall talent better if they did....100 percent, that being said, you would still have Canadians playing as the Talent is there, and they know the game.

I like the idea tho of rewarding team and player who has been with same team 4 consecutive yrs to be a naturalized Canadian, but cap it to a set amount allowed per team...you still have to have X amount of true Canadians, and X amount starting...also think that the DI should just be regular roster players, and drop the DI tag and restrictions to them...see no point in it as they are paid same as they would as a rostered regular, and would allow teams to benefit more using them more liberally and improve over all play.

I get it...a lot of people are stuck on the Canadian stigma and say they would stop watching if they reduced or more specifically eliminated the ratio, o well...see ya later then, but many if not most of those are the old relic fan, being able to roster more "name" guys who some of the younger crowd may actually know who follow college ball, may attract a new breed and younger fan base...which is what this league needs....catering and pandering to just the wants and moansd and groans of the over 45..50 crowd won't grow anything....just saying

The 45+ crowd is the majority of the CFL fans right now.  You can't do something that will alienate that group without having things in motion to attract the younger demographic.  Don't think "name" college players will do that, since we already have name college players in the league, and the younger demographic still doesn't care.

The draft now is a joke the top rated players can't be drafted cause they are going to be drafted in the NFL ,the best teams can do is hope a player will show up sometime in the future. Every team can get killed if they lose a couple of CDN olinemen...there has to more balance imo....

Reducing the number of NI's on each team would increase the talent level and reduce the cost of the CFL. No one would miss the worst 2 NI's on the team. Not many folks would even be able to name them. Replace them with DI's.

Finding the 7th starting NI is tough for most teams. Reduce the guaranteed NI starters by 1 and increase the number of US starters by 1.

FTW: Globals don't take NI jobs. They are a completely different group. There are a MINIMUM number of Canadians and that number hasn't changed.. yet.

12 minutes ago, bb1 said:

The draft now is a joke the top rated players can't be drafted cause they are going to be drafted in the NFL ,the best teams can do is hope a player will show up sometime in the future. Every team can get killed if they lose a couple of CDN olinemen...there has to more balance imo....

The guys picked in the top 20 not getting nfl deals are drastically better than the rare top talents of 10 years ago. It'd be nice to have exclusive access to Canadians but that would cripple the stream of talent. 

This balancing act is the cfl talent pipe line in a nutshell.

I'd love a new creative ratio that kept nis playing and starting but didn't hamstring teams more than need be but idk what that looks like.