2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

Hip Hop just isn't nearly as popular in Canada as it is in the USA, but I agree with Jackson...time to put a little edge into our theme music. The Reklaws traditional audience are the ones that currently make up a lot of the existing CFL fan base, and while there is nothing wrong with the CFL playing to it's traditional audience it doesn't help it grow.

54 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I laughed right out loud at such an incredibly dumb tweet. And Derek Dennis says "no Canadians unless it's Drake".... Get lost. Non Canadian and Hip Hop?? Sorry, but you're in Canada.... No part of that flies. 

What a weird comment lol millions upon millions of Canadians love hip-hop music, we don’t need a bunch of old fogies who like to polka deciding what the theme song for a league trying to build a younger fanbase is

The demo they want... Those young 20somethings who drink Twisted Tea and listen to Pop Country is MASSIVE..... it's the number one FM radio station in every market outside of Toronto/Van/Mtl.... 

They've done their research (all antivaxxer jokes aside) and they know where the money is. 

I'm not saying it has to be Pop Country (lord knows that's the bane of my existence) but there have to be some young rockers that dine suck...?? Like the Sheepdogs but younger? That screams Canada and the CFL to me... 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm not saying it has to be Pop Country (lord knows that's the bane of my existence) but there have to be some young rockers that dine suck...?? Like the Sheepdogs but younger? That screams Canada and the CFL to me... 

What about the Guess Who? I just heard them on the king biscuit flower hour...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

The demo they want... Those young 20somethings who drink Twisted Tea and listen to Pop Country is MASSIVE..... it's the number one FM radio station in every market outside of Toronto/Van/Mtl.... 

They've done their research (all antivaxxer jokes aside) and they know where the money is. 

I'm sorry. Do you think young people listen to the radio?

Go ask a young kid what their favorite radio station is. I guarantee they say it's a spotify play list or something like it.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

I'm sorry. Do you think young people listen to the radio?

Go ask a young kid what their favorite radio station is. I guarantee they say it's a spotify play list or something like it.

So here's the important add on to my statement... All those radio stations are programmed largely based on Spotify streams and TikTok followers. So there's actually a direct connection to what the next generation is viewing and listening to. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So here's the important add on to my statement... All those radio stations are programmed largely based on Spotify streams and TikTok followers. So there's actually a direct connection to what the next generation is viewing and listening to. 

ok but again, that doesn't translate to country being the most listen to genre. It's just the most pushed. Hip hop etc is far more popular among kids/young adults. I mean they like country, but hip hop has been the leading culture maker for decades now. Which is why you see more and more country songs incorporating hip hop.

Edited by Bigblue204

NOT seeing that pop country as the major genre of choice with young canadian kids..nope....or with 40 and up crowd

Go in any locker room in Canada and what are the athletes blaring...rap/hip hop and hard rock....

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

ok but again, that doesn't translate to country being the most listen to genre. It's just the most pushed. Hip etc is far more popular among kids/young adults. I mean they like country, but hip hop has been the leading culture maker for decades now. Which is why you see more and more country songs incorporating hip hop.

lot of entities trying to push that up....why...dont know....

46 minutes ago, Booch said:

NOT seeing that pop country as the major genre of choice with young canadian kids..nope....or with 40 and up crowd

Go in any locker room in Canada and what are the athletes blaring...rap/hip hop and hard rock....

lot of entities trying to push that up....why...dont know....

Guys in the locker room are already at the games - we're talking about the audience.

A bunch of old guys debating what's "with it" with kids is hilarious, btw. 

Could it be that young people enjoy different genres in the same way that we all enjoy different types of music?

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Guys in the locker room are already at the games - we're talking about the audience.

Could it be that young people enjoy different genres in the same way that we all enjoy different types of music?

By guys I mean kid and youth sports...college......athletes I deal with and coach....along with their crowd of friends....not all athletic kids and 20 to 30 somethings are at the games

Edited by Booch

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Tor/Van/Mtl is where we desperately need the growth though.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Are we debating who should perform the opening theme song to TSNs Friday Night broadcast? 

Yes. The offseason officially became too long today.

38 minutes ago, Jesse said:

For sure. I agree with whoever said let's get a bit of diversity happening and attract them all. All ages, all genres.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I used to be with it, then they changed what it is. Now what I am isn't it and what's it seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you.

I think my prized 8 track collection agrees tends to place me in the same boat as you.