2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

You tell em, Bobby... 

Unpopular, sure. But is it inaccurate? How many people would really quit watching football in Winnipeg if we switched from 3 downs to 4? I hope it doesn’t happen, but if it is a choice between 4 down football or no football, how many die hards truly mean it when they say they’ll opt for the latter? And like it or not, diehards have not kept the league profitable and are an aging population. Exhaust other options please (like better marketing in the trouble spots) but status quo isn’t working. 

23 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Unpopular, sure. But is it inaccurate? How many people would really quit watching football in Winnipeg if we switched from 3 downs to 4? I hope it doesn’t happen, but if it is a choice between 4 down football or no football, how many die hards truly mean it when they say they’ll opt for the latter? And like it or not, diehards have not kept the league profitable and are an aging population. Exhaust other options please (like better marketing in the trouble spots) but status quo isn’t working. 

Well that's just not true.... 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I can say that if the CFL moves to four downs, I'm done.  That's not CFL football and I have no interest in the NFL or the NFL lite leagues.  I suspect that there are a lot more like me than you might be thinking.

Not sure how many would quit watching altogether. But on the other side of the coin I can't really see how 4 downs brings in more viewers. People who like the NFL and see the CFL as inferior are not going to start watching if it goes to 4 downs. They'll think it's not worth their time regardless.

There's nothing wrong with the wide open Canadian game. Rule changes aren't going to make the CFL more popular.

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

Not sure how many would quit watching altogether. But on the other side of the coin I can't really see how 4 downs brings in more viewers. People who like the NFL and see the CFL as inferior are not going to start watching if it goes to 4 downs. They'll think it's not worth their time regardless.

There's nothing wrong with the wide open Canadian game. Rule changes aren't going to make the CFL more popular.

I would agree that a switch to 4 downs will not attract more eyes. And there is nothing wrong with the CFL rules at all. Which is why the league should not consider it. But in the same breath I remember many saying once the Jets left they would never watch the Moose, and they did stay away for a while, but once the Moose became competitive in the playoffs and the return of the Jets seemed far off they could draw good numbers, because they were the only local alternative and fans like to root for a team rather than just watch. W cause of the sport. There are lots of reasons to not consider 4 downs. The best I think is that it won’t really draw the new viewers anyway who prefer the stars of the NFL. And to me it would be a more boring game. Not sure if it would scare off the current fans though, even if they are disgruntled to begin with. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I can say that if the CFL moves to four downs, I'm done.  That's not CFL football and I have no interest in the NFL or the NFL lite leagues.  I suspect that there are a lot more like me than you might be thinking.

There certainly could be more than I am thinking. I have a hunch that there will be some who say they will never watch and mean it, and may truly believe it and will boycott early, but will relent at some point. I vowed never to watch baseball again after the 94 strike robbed the Expos of a World Series and then killed the team. Kept that principled stance for 20 years too, but the Jays’ run in 2015 brought me back, because I had a team to root for again. 

Do they have some kind of study or research in which they spoke with non CFL fans in Canada who said "I would only watch if it were 4 downs"    Because this sounds like a non existent issue?  

I know from my circle of friends/acquaintances is that the reason they don't watch CFL is because they don't like football at all OR they feel that the quality of football is significantly lower then the NFL and/or they only have time to follow one league.    

I've never had a conversation with anyone saying "I sure wish CFL was 4 downs".  

On 2022-04-22 at 11:31 PM, Booch said:

Just setting himself up for more implosion and drama ..guy does not have the tool set to be a leader and top teir QB nor does he have the tool box upstairs either...or the mindset and mental toughness....when going gets tough on and off the field ..he has cracks all over....and to be honest is a lil whiny sissy about it

When soimeone like Cody Fajardo says he's prepared to let it all be on him after he criticized players & coaches on more than one occasion last year, it means he isn't prepared to let it fall on his shoulders. Leaders lead ny example. Talk is cheap. 

12 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

There certainly could be more than I am thinking. I have a hunch that there will be some who say they will never watch and mean it, and may truly believe it and will boycott early, but will relent at some point. I vowed never to watch baseball again after the 94 strike robbed the Expos of a World Series and then killed the team. Kept that principled stance for 20 years too, but the Jays’ run in 2015 brought me back, because I had a team to root for again. 

But in the CFL can it survive a few years without the diehards?

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But in the CFL can it survive a few years without the diehards?

Good question. Is it surviving now with only diehards?

What confounds me is that the centres with the biggest populations (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) are in the most trouble. One would think more people would mean more overall fans, but they show large scale indifference. Maybe a downsize to smaller communities and a profit model where 15,000 attendance means a profit or 10,000 is break even. So either ticket prices go up or costs need to be slashed to make that feasible, and open up a smaller place like Halifax, Moncton, Saskatoon, Victoria, London, Laval, etc. as a place to put a team. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Truth of the matter is that there's a certain amount of people that love the Canadian game and will love the teams and the league no matter what.

Theres an awful lot of people people that like to watch sports because of the social aspect. For that it's all about marketing and the CFL has done a piss poor job of it

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

Truth of the matter is that there's a certain amount of people that love the Canadian game and will love the teams and the league no matter what.

Theres an awful lot of people people that like to watch sports because of the social aspect. For that it's all about marketing and the CFL has done a piss poor job of it

Preach. 

Look at the Rum Hut. Are they even watching the game or are they having a party? 

Huge win for the Bombers. Let them party!

Is it up to the CFL to market it or is it up to the teams themselves to do it? Bombers draw well, why? It's not just cuz we are winning. It's because the Bombers go out in the community and do things... billboards etc, it wasn't long ago that we were kind of the joke of the league and now we are the premier destination really. It's not just cuz of winning. Toronto especially needs ppl in charge who actually care about football and not just use it as basically a tax write off 

Ottawa, as well, have cultivated a gaje day experience. A lot of teams have **** all. Calgary has some tailgating that's fun before the game but that's about it. Combined with the worst stadium in the league and you're not doing enough. Bombers are the the high bar of the league in every single way right now. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Is it up to the CFL to market it or is it up to the teams themselves to do it? Bombers draw well, why? It's not just cuz we are winning. It's because the Bombers go out in the community and do things... billboards etc, it wasn't long ago that we were kind of the joke of the league and now we are the premier destination really. It's not just cuz of winning. Toronto especially needs ppl in charge who actually care about football and not just use it as basically a tax write off 

It's up to both to market the league. We draw well in comparison to other teams but why should the Bombers or the CFL be happy with the status quo?

And winning certainly helps draw more gate revenue. That's just common sense.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Ottawa, as well, have cultivated a gaje day experience. A lot of teams have **** all. Calgary has some tailgating that's fun before the game but that's about it. Combined with the worst stadium in the league and you're not doing enough. Bombers are the the high bar of the league in every single way right now. 

I'd like to see the Bombers join the ranks of BC and Ott in terms of original content of behind the scenes stuff.