2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

On 2022-04-13 at 7:13 AM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I think the "do/teach" comment incorporates that. Meaning that while a player can play- they play, once they can't (too old, injuries or what not), teach. And yeah, Osh embodies that totally. 

I have never taken it that way, and I don't think that's how it's usually intended. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

My biggest take away was that the Riders were nowhere to be seen, which is always great. No Habs either... Interesting. 

Montreal(Habs) was not transparent for the last 5 years. Only with the new regime has that changed. Also the first round pick of Logan Mailloux hurt some of there public image. 

23 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I have never taken it that way, and I don't think that's how it's usually intended. 

O'Shea is very much an anomaly. The star players in any league are almost always so monofocused in their play that they do not transition well into coaching. Management seems to be a different kettle of fish.

56 minutes ago, Tracker said:

O'Shea is very much an anomaly. The star players in any league are almost always so monofocused in their play that they do not transition well into coaching. Management seems to be a different kettle of fish.

In pro sports, maybe.  I know there's a long list of other jobs that I could do, and many teachers/coaches are the same. 

8 hours ago, Tracker said:

Ron Lancaster won something like 4 games in Saskatchewan before he was fired. He then went into broadcasting for the next decade being an analyst on the CFL on CBC broadcasts & used that time to figure it out. He became an elite head coach in Edmonton & Hamilton. My guess is he learned to surround himself with great assistants & delegate authority. I think he learned to manage people.

On 2022-04-15 at 4:47 PM, Goalie said:

Death threats to Jets and Tampa players families didn't help either 

Unfortunately those are close to the norm in the world we are in. They are not good, but they happen regularly. But that was not the Habs organization, and their fanbase should not effect these ratings in the slightest.  

Man, I think about the life of a pro athlete ... working for months or years to rehab a significant injury, all the while the football world is moving on without them and an army of hungry kids is fighting to take their spot.  

The focus, discipline, and grit required to get through that is just mindboggling to me.

Good luck, Stove, hope to see you back blowing up kitchens real soon (except for ours, of course)

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Feel nothing but sympathy for him and the Lions.

I hope it's something that he can still recover from and come back this season.

While I don't wish for injuries to other teams, I won't feel sorry for them when they do occur. I do feel sorry for the players for sure no matter what team they play for, but not the team unless it's the Bombers. A division rival got weaker today and I am OK with that. I hate it when it is the result of injury but quite often that is the case, although incompetence could be used to describe BC since Wally left town as well.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

that's tough...don't wish an injury like that (significant) on anyone, especially someone who gave so much to the WBB FC. Get well soon, Stove!! 

Yea...love the Stove, and hope he recovers fully.