2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

2 hours ago, camper_2 said:

Believe that Lirim Hajrullahu would appreciate reading that comment after he was run out of Wpg a few years back, then to see many wanting him back last year.... Shake my head.

Secondly, Marc Liegghio's university kicking was absolutely nothing to worry about, pretty damn good in my opinion and an excellent draft pick!!!! The young man needs this fan base to back him, rather than hear the boo birds come as is the case... Wow, its sad reading some of the stuff on here. Sometimes I think I'm in the green/white site... Lets not do what has been done before to the above kicker who is kicking in the NFL, today.

Mourtada, well we need to be careful here. As has been said, he needs to make the adjustments and work on his craft. Definitely wasn't a Sergi but who knows he just may surprise us... I'm not giving up on him and for sure not going to crap on him as well. 

Sergi Castillo, well prior to Medlock, I liked him as a kicker when he was with us. He was good then and still is very good for our organization and looked like he was enjoying this time during the Grey Cup celebrations at the IG in December. The 2021 Grey Cup game was more than enough. I hope he does make his way back to the Wpg for the next couple years as our kicker. He's a keeper....

As far as our kicking situation in general, our management group, has had things in control for a few years now. Little is let out of the bag, until things are in place, i's are dotted and t's crossed before the fan base is made aware... We will be OK... Patience, I believe is required.

I don't post often, but have been on this site for a while.. and read most of the material..... Just my two cents, for what ever that is worth

Love these inspiring posts, can't wait to see what happens when they miss a 30 yarder to win the game.

Bombers aren't going to be as dominate as last year. A kicking game early in the year will be important. Sure hope these guys show up 

Edited by CodyT

We are screwed without at the very least competent kicker. Good offenses score 400 points or more on offense & a kicker scores 140 of those yet it looks like the Bombers think  anyone can do it. If Castillo wanted to play in the CFL it should have been here. 

6 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've just won back to back Grey Cups, right?  If so, I think we can assume that the people that got us here know what they ar doing and have a plan.  So maybe, we can stow the hand wringing for now and see how things unfold.  

Who were our kickers when we won? Medlock & then Castillo. right? Two of the best. Or was it Legghio & Mourtada? Two of the worst. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

34 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We are screwed without at the very least competent kicker. 

Who were our kickers when we won? Medlock & then Castillo. right? Two of the best. Or was it Legghio & Mourtada? Two of the worst. 

All of them were our kickers when we won.  

Our record with Crapigna as our placekicker: 2-1. Games he actually cost us with his misses. Zero

Record with Liegghio placekicking: 3-0. Games his kicking points won us the game. One. 

Record with Mourtada placekicking: 5-0. Games his kicking points won us the game. One. 

Record with Castillo placekicking: 1-2. (2-0 in playoffs). Games his kicking points won us the game. One. (One in playoffs) Games he actually cost us with his misses. One.  (Zero in playoffs)

33 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

ob3nbt3g3br61.jpg

Never said we sucked. I said we shouldn't be having these kicking issues a year after Medlock retired. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

All of them were our kickers when we won.  

Our record with Crapigna as our placekicker: 2-1. Games he actually cost us with his misses. Zero

Record with Liegghio placekicking: 3-0. Games his kicking points won us the game. One. 

Record with Mourtada placekicking: 5-0. Games his kicking points won us the game. One. 

Record with Castillo placekicking: 1-2. (2-0 in playoffs). Games his kicking points won us the game. One. (One in playoffs) Games he actually cost us with his misses. One.  (Zero in playoffs)

This just proves how stats can be twisted in any way to support whatever points someone wants to make. Like, are you being serious? How many FG's did Castillo have in the Grey Cup? 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Never said we sucked. I said we shouldn't be having these kicking issues a year after Medlock retired. 

This just proves how stats can be twisted in any way to support whatever points someone wants to make. Like, are you being serious? How many FG's did Castillo have in the Grey Cup? 

It also proves that you don’t have stats to show how we were screwed with the “incompetent” kicking we suffered through. Mourtada did get better after his bad start, but his fate was sealed on this board after his first misses in his first game. People need to get past Medlock being gone. Sure our kicking game was weaker, BUT it did not cost us games like you suggest, and when the chips are down, Walters got it sorted out. Liegghio is the future and that has not changed despite his struggles hitting converts. Mourtada improved enough to keep around and deserve to fight it out at camp. And if they both crap the bed, we saw last year that there are options out there can can be airlifted in fairly quickly. Let’s just dial down the “sky is falling” rhetoric a bit, perhaps?  It’s March, we are down a kick returner and starting receiver, dropping from 4 kickers to 3 on the roster is not the death blow here. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It also proves that you don’t have stats to show how we were screwed with the “incompetent” kicking we suffered through. Mourtada did get better after his bad start, but his fate was sealed on this board after his first misses in his first game. People need to get past Medlock being gone. Sure our kicking game was weaker, BUT it did not cost us games like you suggest, and when the chips are down, Walters got it sorted out. Liegghio is the future and that has not changed despite his struggles hitting converts. Mourtada improved enough to keep around and deserve to fight it out at camp. And if they both crap the bed, we saw last year that there are options out there can can be airlifted in fairly quickly. Let’s just dial down the “sky is falling” rhetoric a bit, perhaps?  It’s March, we are down a kick returner and starting receiver, dropping from 4 kickers to 3 on the roster is not the death blow here. 

Bang on, TB4ever...

Focused on the draft... Its fun times... Oh yes, a kick returner and starting receiver, any to be found... Just asking?

No news yet. Grant hasn’t signed with any other team yet either, so……..

And we bring in extra receivers to camp every year with the Hope one will surprise and stick. The turnover for returners and depth chart receivers seems high with this club, so concern is lower at this time.  Again, positions that history has shown can be plugged more easily than others. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Yeah, we sealed Mourtada's fate last season, alright. We here right on this board. We did that because we had the power. More like, he did.  What options? You seem to be in the know. 

I'm not pointing fingers, but man it has gotta be exhausting being sour/angry/negative all the time about seemingly everything.

I have faith in this regime because they haven't steered me wrong yet. 

I have faith in a raw kid who kicked 92% in CIS. 

I have faith in an American guy whose only real issue (apparently) was the angles of a much larger field. 

We have a whole camp to get it figured out and if they don't have someone they like, there are dozens and dozens of kickers out there that can be brought in. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm not pointing fingers, but man it has gotta be exhausting being sour/angry/negative all the time about seemingly everything.

I have faith in this regime because they haven't steered me wrong yet. 

I have faith in a raw kid who kicked 92% in CIS. 

I have faith in an American guy whose only real issue (apparently) was the angles of a much larger field. 

We have a whole camp to get it figured out and if they don't have someone they like, there are dozens and dozens of kickers out there that can be brought in. 

Ali has a tremendous leg and if his issue is fixable he will be great. 

Our kickers proved they couldn't get the job done last year, which is why we brought Castillo in in the first place.. Maybe they get better. Maybe they don't. It's a problem unless one of them works out. That's not sour/angry or negative. It's just a fact. This regime has made tons of mistakes in the past. They've had 1 great season + 1 great playoffs. That doesn't make them infallible.

20 hours ago, CodyT said:

Love these inspiring posts, can't wait to see what happens when they miss a 30 yarder to win the game.

Bombers aren't going to be as dominate as last year. A kicking game early in the year will be important. Sure hope these guys show up 

Thanks, Cody. Inspiring for sure... All I will do is drive west to darn near to Onanole, turn onto the 45 and head west... There will be a tractor or combine waiting for me, that gives me piece of mind.... All is good and thoughts of the kicking game go away!!!!

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Our kickers proved they couldn't get the job done last year, which is why we brought Castillo in in the first place.. Maybe they get better. Maybe they don't. It's a problem unless one of them works out. That's not sour/angry or negative. It's just a fact. This regime has made tons of mistakes in the past. They've had 1 great season + 1 great playoffs. That doesn't make them infallible.

It's only a problem if they don't address it if neither of the returnees steps up. What in his time here makes you think that Kyle walters will just stand pat if there is an obvious issue on this team? If there's a need he damned we'll goes out and gets what he needs. 

Case in point... that season that wasn't great and only the playoffs were great... well that season was hampered by an injury to his starting qb... so he went and got another qb for the playoff run.... 

33 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's only a problem if they don't address it if neither of the returnees steps up. What in his time here makes you think that Kyle walters will just stand pat if there is an obvious issue on this team? If there's a need he damned we'll goes out and gets what he needs. 

Case in point... that season that wasn't great and only the playoffs were great... well that season was hampered by an injury to his starting qb... so he went and got another qb for the playoff run.... 

It's a problem right now. It will continue to be a problem until it is addressed. Will Walters fix it? We'll see. It's not like he's always fixed things in the past.