2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

11 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

IWWT, but im really curious about what he's doing with our cap space. Weve probably shed damn near 1 million dollars in cap space with all our recent departures. Since then he's brought in exactly 1 free agent(Ellingson), and handed out a handful of raises. I understand we need to keep some aside for BA and a couple of guys like that but he should still have a good chunk left to play with. Not happy to see guys like Darby leave.

Where do you think we’ve shed “damn near 1 million dollars”? People really need to gain an understanding of what a salary cap is before throwing out ridiculous numbers like this.

Let’s just be generous here with some dollar amounts to speculate.

Darvin Adams out (150k), replaced by minimum salary (65k) 

Steven Richardson out (100k), replaced by minimum salary (65k)

Mike Jones out (85k), replaced by Tyqwan Glass (85k)

Alden Darby out (100k), replaced by minimum salary (65k)

Kenny Lawler out (100k), replaced by minimum salary (65k)

Andrew Harris out (175k), replaced by minimum salary (65k)

Drew Desjarlais out (100k), replaced by Dobson or equivalent (85k)

Jonathan Kongbo out (125k), replaced by minimum salary (65k)

Even speculating on what is probably the very high end for most guys there, that’s 390k. And we gave out raises to Bighill, Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Oliviera, Bailey and Collaros. 

9 hours ago, Mike said:

Where do you think we’ve shed “damn near 1 million dollars”? People really need to gain an understanding of what a salary cap is before throwing out ridiculous numbers like this.

You forgot McGuire, Antigua, and Alford. I understand how a salary cap works just fine, thanks. I never said we have a million dollars of cap space to spend. I said that that even after handing out a few raises and signing Ellingson, Walters should still have a chunk left. And i was wondering what he was planning on doing with it when i see proven commodities like Darby allowed to walk, and impactful players like Grant still unsigned.

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

You forgot McGuire, Antigua, and Alford. I understand how a salary cap works just fine, thanks. I never said we have a million dollars of cap space to spend. I said that that even after handing out a few raises and signing Ellingson, Walters should still have a chunk left. And i was wondering what he was planning on doing with it when i see proven commodities like Darby allowed to walk, and impactful players like Grant still unsigned.

I would think he still has a roster to fill out with foot soldiers with a lot of the rest of open cap space. I doubt when all is said and done that we have the SMS room to make any kind of big splash, but certainly guys like Grant, Hansen etc should be targets.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I would think he still has a roster to fill out with foot soldiers with a lot of the rest of open cap space. I doubt when all is said and done that we have the SMS room to make any kind of big splash, but certainly guys like Grant, Hansen etc should be targets.

I agree that a lot of our departures are going to be replaced with newbies, which is the nature of the business, and i agree that there is no money for big splash guys. I would just like to see us retain more of our guys that helped is win championships.

17 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I agree that a lot of our departures are going to be replaced with newbies, which is the nature of the business, and i agree that there is no money for big splash guys. I would just like to see us retain more of our guys that helped is win championships.

Lat year Grant and Hansen were both late adds. Perhaps we have verbal commitments with them already. Hansen is playing Polish ball right now so it is highly likely he re-signs after their season, and Grant for some reason has been signed late the past 2 seasons. Maybe he goes abroad or something this time of year? Just speculating. Grant could be a guy who likes to keep the NFL option open as long as possible too. Grant could definitely be a guy we want to take a physical as well after his injury setbacks last year, maybe we are waiting on that.

Edited by GCn20

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Lat year Grant and Hansen were both late adds. Perhaps we have verbal commitments with them already. Hansen is playing Polish ball right now so it is highly likely he re-signs after their season, and Grant for some reason has been signed late the past 2 seasons. Maybe he goes abroad or something this time of year? Just speculating. Grant could be a guy who likes to keep the NFL option open as long as possible too. Grant could definitely be a guy we want to take a physical as well after his injury setbacks last year, maybe we are waiting on that.

Grant generally waits till no NFL opportunity, and thi prob his last stab...and his salary wont be huge anyway unless he starts to be integrated into offence

Hansen is a given...and all Global guys make the same..so it now a matter of being outbid...and why would he leave??

Edited by Booch

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Grant generally waits till no NFL opportunity, and thi prob his last stab...and his salary wont be huge anyway unless he starts to be integrated into offence

Hansen is a given...and all Global guys make the same..so it now a matter of being outbid...and why would he leave??

I am hopeful we get both back and fairly confident we will. 

Not much has been said about Kongbo. yes, he has bolted for the Excited States for yet another possible audition in the NFL, but if he couldn't make the grade previously, what makes him think he can do it this time? I expect him to be back, but on the other hand, he was not a dominant player when here- Jake Thomas was much more valuable.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Not much has been said about Kongbo. yes, he has bolted for the Excited States for yet another possible audition in the NFL, but if he couldn't make the grade previously, what makes him think he can do it this time? I expect him to be back, but on the other hand, he was not a dominant player when here- Jake Thomas was much more valuable.

Kongbo got injured last time. 

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Is it not possible for a player to improve over a year or two?? He's still only 25 years old (26 soon)

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Probably his last real chance in the NFL this time. He has had some injuries in NFL camps before unfortunately, but NFL interest dries up at some point. I hope for his sake he makes it. If not, I  hope for our sake he comes back and becomes a long term CFL impact player for the Bombers. 

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Kongbo was valuable. He played mostly DE but went in occasionally at DT in certain sets. Dominant...no...excellent NAT rotational player...you bet.

Biggest thing with Kongbo was he is a very good pass rusher and allowed them to rest Jefferson and Jeffcoat through out the game so they were fresh by the 4th quarter. There was no drop off wonder if they can find anyone to replace those snaps this year to keep a good rotation going.

35 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Well, we know what Chris Jones's plans are for JWJ..........

Coming from the softest big RB the league has ever seen. Lber in the CFL isnt about the size of the dog in the fight, its about the size of the fight in the dog. And Junior, is a chihuahua. The dude had 2 rushing touch downs last year. And averaged like 50 yards and 4ypc against us. Mcguire had 8 rushing tds last year, Junior has 11 in his entire career. Junior needs to settle tf down. 

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Wilder Jr really thinks highly of himself doesn't he. 

And Chris Jones thinks really highly of himself if he honestly believes he can just plop players in different positions in pro football. Yes, it kind of worked with Duron Carter, but not really. Disrespectful. And yeah, Simoni Lawrence, Bighill, Moncrief would love to have a word about that. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Coming from the softest big RB the league has ever seen. Lber in the CFL isnt about the size of the dog in the fight, its about the size of the fight in the dog. And Junior, is a chihuahua. The dude had 2 rushing touch downs last year. And averaged like 50 yards and 4ypc against us. Mcguire had 8 rushing tds last year, Junior has 11 in his entire career. Junior needs to settle tf down. 

Oh, ****.

Bringing the heat.