2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

9 hours ago, Jesse said:

Brady is clearly weighing offers. The fact that he hasn;t signed yet worries me.

If Brady goes elsewhere so be it, they've signed Johnny and can use whatevers left over to sign Harris to share the load.  In the age of 1 year contract it's not a big deal to lose a player for a  year or two, if Brady decides he wants to return he only has to wait one or two years for another opportunity to negotiate a deal with Walters.  By that time Harris will be out of the picture.

Edited by Fatty Liver

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I wonder if they have confidence in Johnny August to be the RB1 on the chart with Borsa backing him up? Cripes I never imagined losing both Harris and Olly, but maybe?? 

Johnny reminds of Fred Reid. Id like to see him as the feature back for a full year before id feel overly comfortable with your scenario though 

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I hate that we have to think about this and that is no slight to Augustine 

No doubt. + giving up the ni talent to the rest of the league. Naturally guys are going to want starter carries and we have 3 starters vying for touches for 1.5 running backs

Side note- whatever happened to that tall canadian receiver that we drafted that got an nfl look? He was talked about a lot as being a game breaker one day but I haven't heard anything about him or can remember his name. He may have had an attitude problem ?

Edited by CodyT

5 hours ago, Booch said:

Brady tho still unproven...and won't command huge bucks yet...so any team out bidding will be over paying for still unknown commodity.

Amusing on Riderfans they think the 260k for Duke is a good deal hahah...just eating up that "close to 300k"  rumour....not sure who woulda offered that...and that obviously wasn't hard money...the fact the Rider deal specified "hard" money tells me he in position to make more than 260k which makes that even more laughable

Don't forget LaFrance got like 155k on the strength of 1 game. Never underestimate the league over paying a ni that could start. 

8 minutes ago, CodyT said:

No doubt. + giving up the ni talent to the rest of the league. Naturally guys are going to want starter carries and we have 3 starters vying for touches for 1.5 running backs

Side note- whatever happened to that tall canadian receiver that we drafted that got an nfl look? He was talked about a lot as being a game breaker one day but I haven't heard anything about him or can remember his name. He may have had an attitude problem ?

Simonise flamed out pretty quick. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Don't forget LaFrance got like 155k on the strength of 1 game. Never underestimate the league over paying a ni that could start. 

Insane

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I wonder if they have confidence in Johnny August to be the RB1 on the chart with Borsa backing him up? Cripes I never imagined losing both Harris and Olly, but maybe?? 

Brady's got it pretty sweet here. He had a couple decent games last year but hasnt done a whole heck of a lot. Augustine has produced every time he's gotten the chance. If he's willing to leave his hometown team after back to back Grey Cups over a few extra bucks, then see ya bro.

6 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Brady's got it pretty sweet here. He had a couple decent games last year but hasnt done a whole heck of a lot. Augustine has produced every time he's gotten the chance. If he's willing to leave his hometown team after back to back Grey Cups over a few extra bucks, then see ya bro.

Yup...his absence this yr wouldn't be the difference of us being legit contender...or bottom dweller...and he can always resign back next yr and be a JABO duo

What I don't understand is how some media...and rider fans say/think Williams came back and was tremendous...4 games..17 receptions...285 yards and 1 td...148 of the yards came in 1 game against an esks team that had checked out...and 9 receptions and 163 yards and 1 td in playoffs..the TD due to Taylor slipping and most the yards from that...and the 34 yard non catch..hardly a 260k difference maker

Edited by Booch

1 hour ago, Booch said:

What I don't understand is how some media...and rider fans say/think Williams came back and was tremendous...4 games..17 receptions...285 yards and 1 td...148 of the yards came in 1 game against an esks team that had checked out...and 9 receptions and 163 yards and 1 td in playoffs..the TD due to Taylor slipping and most the yards from that...and the 34 yard non catch..hardly a 260k difference maker

If Williams got a big chunk of his $ as a signing bonus, he's all set and can coast from here on.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I don’t know why we’re shitting on Duke’s performance. That’s a 1300 yard pace. He’s one hell of a receiver.

That's kinda a squewed metric to base a reciever on tho...sure u can average and look at a pace...but not true indication...take out his one game he actually  did anything and he on a pace for just over 800 for zero TD's...sure he's good...or was...but didn't light nothing up by any means...and fact of matter...he or any receiver for that matter not worth that dollar figure

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

That's kinda a squewed metric to base a reciever on tho...sure u can average and look at a pace...but not true indication...take out his one game he actually  did anything and he on a pace for just over 800 for zero TD's...sure he's good...or was...but didn't light nothing up by any means...and fact of matter...he or any receiver for that matter not worth that dollar figure

No more skewed than removing a game performance to under-inflate stats. It’s like taking Lawler’s big game in BC out of the equation and saying he was the 5th best receiver last year. Williams came in in limited time and over that time put up numbers that would put him right around the top of the league pro-rated over a full season last year. When he left in 2018 he was the top receiver in the league. He can justify being the highest paid receiver, whether 260,000 is appropriate is up for debate but that is the market rate right now given Whitehead’s contract and Lawler’s offer, as well as Derel Walker’s past contracts. And 

5 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

No more skewed than removing a game performance to under-inflate stats. It’s like taking Lawler’s big game in BC out of the equation and saying he was the 5th best receiver last year. Williams came in in limited time and over that time put up numbers that would put him right around the top of the league pro-rated over a full season last year. When he left in 2018 he was the top receiver in the league. He can justify being the highest paid receiver, whether 260,000 is appropriate is up for debate but that is the market rate right now given Whitehead’s contract and Lawler’s offer, as well as Derel Walker’s past contracts. And 

Exactly true....hence he (KL) not worth 250k...and 2018 was 4 yrs ago..that's a long time in football....if u wanna use stats to figure out an avg generally take the highest and lowest out..Lawler then averages just under 1300 yards...Spitty eye gouger 982...I included his playoff games to give a larger sample size....until he puts up 2018 numbers highly overated and overpayed...and not just bashing cause he a rider..I will say same for Lawler if he doesn't put up better than last yr number and be a true diff maker

1 minute ago, Mike said:

You’re the man Booch but you are 10000000% bashing because he’s a Rider 😆

hell no....would bash us ...and will if we dump that  money in Lawler...tho he more worth it I think....would bash any team paying Duke that....he didnt show anything last year other than he still a ******

Just now, Booch said:

hell no....would bash us ...and will if we dump that  money in Lawler...tho he more worth it I think....would bash any team paying Duke that....he didnt show anything last year other than he still a ******

but dont get me wrong...I will bash Riders any day too, as that fan base is a joke, and the Franchise isnt the be all end all that fanbase likes to trump it up as hahahaha