2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He should prepare to hold out and be ready to settle for mid level money and a good bonus. Maybe hold out till they stop pissing around with 250k offers to lawler and offer that cash to some guys who can keep him off his ass. 

agreed....he's the starter now...was anointed it in media....well pay me first yr starter money then.....whats B.C gonna do?...Sign Harris in lurch for 440K??

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Rourke really needs to push for a better deal and OL.

yup..he should say gimme half that Lawler money and use rest to shore up the o-line...whats even left in FA market for O-line upgrades anyway?...If that was SASK plan it gonna blow up in their faces too

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

agreed....he's the starter now...was anointed it in media....well pay me first yr starter money then.....whats B.C gonna do?...Sign Harris in lurch for 440K??

yup..he should say gimme half that Lawler money and use rest to shore up the o-line...whats even left in FA market for O-line upgrades anyway?...If that was SASK plan it gonna blow up in their faces too

I think everyone will be vying for the services of Ucambre Williams, who is pretty good at LT. Shouldn’t break the bank either.

1 hour ago, greenrider55 said:

I think everyone will be vying for the services of Ucambre Williams, who is pretty good at LT. Shouldn’t break the bank either.

Idk, this off season negotiation period seems like the theme is "lets break the bank."

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Thats a good move, I like it. 

3 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

I think the CFL has a bit of a lack of talent at the import Tackle position right now. The two name guy from Calgary is pretty good, Winnipegs guys are pretty good then it seems like a ton of average to below average guys. As a Rider fan I think I want Ucambre Williams but he is not a game changer at tackle. He is better than what we had out there last year but I dont think he is going to be worth what a team will have to pay him. 

2 hours ago, stevethe3rd said:

I think the CFL has a bit of a lack of talent at the import Tackle position right now. The two name guy from Calgary is pretty good, Winnipegs guys are pretty good then it seems like a ton of average to below average guys. As a Rider fan I think I want Ucambre Williams but he is not a game changer at tackle. He is better than what we had out there last year but I dont think he is going to be worth what a team will have to pay him. 

We paid big for an elite LT and it has paid off. Sometimes, you just need FA to turn things around. 

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

We paid big for an elite LT and it has paid off. Sometimes, you just need FA to turn things around. 

The right fa one of the best ol coaches and lots of ni talent and time. If you look back at our starting Nis it isnt a lot of junior call ups. Goosen no2 same as sukh then Couture 10th desjarlais no4 gray 8th. Eli would've been that high or better too if teams knew he was coming back from injury in College. 

And the whole hadrick is a much better tackle than guard plus bond being a monster at guard for us. 

The riders have been trying to fix that ol for years with free agents and draft picks. Same with bc and edm and basically every one. 

I think the big difference other than great scouting is culture and development. Culture and leadership mean a lot in football across the board. But no place more so than the ol. A guy like dickenson in ssk can't build a great ol. 

Micah Johnson isn’t a huge loss, but Purifoy leaving creates a void. They’re going to be a very young team next year, they’ve got some pieces here and there but they’ve having trouble retaining guys and you don’t hear them in on a lot of players either. 

One of two things is happening. Either the machine in Regina is doing a very good job of making sure their plans don’t leak to the media or the Riders aren’t a desirable team to play for anymore. Money still talks but they used to be able to sell players on the atmosphere, the fans, the building, the program and it looks like a lot of that goodwill is gone. 

54 minutes ago, Mike said:

Micah Johnson isn’t a huge loss, but Purifoy leaving creates a void. They’re going to be a very young team next year, they’ve got some pieces here and there but they’ve having trouble retaining guys and you don’t hear them in on a lot of players either. 

One of two things is happening. Either the machine in Regina is doing a very good job of making sure their plans don’t leak to the media or the Riders aren’t a desirable team to play for anymore. Money still talks but they used to be able to sell players on the atmosphere, the fans, the building, the program and it looks like a lot of that goodwill is gone. 

I really don't know if this is a philosophy change from the Riders to get rid of certain players (attitudes) and contracts, or a mass exodus that is just going to leave a void with not much coming back.

They're going to have money to spend, but the only player I hear them linked to is Williams.

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I suspect it might be a bit of an attempt to change the culture with the departures of Gainey and Purifoy.

I think they were really high paid, too.

Might be an attempt to reset their salary cap structure and invest more on the lines like we do.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Micah Johnson is still a good player. His loss is manageable though because we had two young Americans that played well in spots last year in Marino and Lanier.  Wynn and Johnson will be a very physical tandem in Hamilton. I wonder where Ted Laurent ends up now? 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Marino isn't that good...if anything he is dirty and will cost u in penalties...and u can't discount experience and leadership...Johnson had that in spades there..I don't see a real locker room leader...or core of legit leaders there

I completely disagree. Marino was very good for a first year player in very limited snaps. The discipline thing is for sure an issue along with being able to play multiple snaps (always looked gassed) and injuries. Well as been discussed in this thread already it seems the riders are going for a change in leadership with moving on from Purifoy and Gainey. They brought back Dean which kind of scares me, but he is a veteran guy. Edam is a veteran guy and I guarantee they sign another veteran guy in free agency most likely at DB. 

The leadership thing isn't super worrying to me. On defence I am mostly worried about who is going to play DT as a national and what the Linebacker group will look like next year as that was a big weakness.