2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

36 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I was simply pointing out an instance where he was under the tutelage of another OC and didn't fare well. It's not a matter of it being all LaPolice's fault Streveler has struggled as a passer.

Do you know how many ocs ac struggled under? Also steveler was never an NFL prototype. Trying to force him into being one was silly.  

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

Lapo isnt a good QB developer...that can't be denied...he will thrive with an established QB to run his style of offence....He also tho stagnates receivers, and is probabaly the worst O/C coach to have to develop a new guy, and get the most out of him....we missed out on some decent guys actually coming here soley based on him being the OC...You can believe or doubt it if you want, but it is not assumption

Strev...totally not a pocket passer...never was...but used right, with threat of run and the who's gonna get the ball, with the right OC calling plays, he can exploit teams with downfield passes not needing pin point accuracy, and accuracy can be learned, worked on, and made better....strength...velocity at a pro level is basically an is what it is thing...so he can probably be made into a very effective starter, not a prolific passer by any means, but win a lot of games....Tom Burgess sucked throwing the ball....but won a cup here....with a wicked defense...which is what we have here.

To expect him to be a highest rated passer isnt his schtick, and doesnt mean he can't/won't win and from what I know of him he not all about the money...he wants to be a part of a team...contribute...and win....he knows the recipe and routine here...if he heads north...all sides will make it work here...book it

If a team did rpo and qb runs really well steveler would be a monster. 

12 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I can't see Strev coming back to Winnipeg if we have ZC on the roster (as much as I'd love to see him back).

There will probably be better opportunities out there for him.

I agree. Though I'd love him back I dont see money and reps working when some one else will give him atleast 250 or more and a chance to start. 

I think the elk could be it. He's better than Fajardo and cf over achieved in that system. 

21 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He was a D3 receiver. Never played pro football. Never played qb. His offense is based on his knowledge as a receiver. He isn't a qb coach. Jacques Chapdelaine was the same way. A receiver at SFU & the CFL. Never coached qbs. His offense was geared to what he knew as a receiver. You can ask anyone who played for Jacques at the qb position. It was a complex offense not qb friendly. 

Yep. 100 percent. And to give him credit where it's due he can draw up a playbook. 

Bill Walsh June Jones mouse Davis a lot of the innovators on offense failed as qbs either in college or early in the pros. 

Sean mcvay is a offensive modern guru who is great with qbs and didn't play qb. He was also a failed college wr. But he is a disciple of Shanahan who was a qb. Plop doesn't have a coaching lineage to fall back on. Over coming not playing qb and not having that former qb great coach teacher is pretty near impossible to over come. 

Chip Kelly was a db. Don coryell was a hb. Woody Hayes was a tackle. Andy Reid was a tackle too. But that's early generation spread offense with coaches who qbd above their lineages. 

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yep. 100 percent. And to give him credit where it's due he can draw up a playbook. 

Bill Walsh June Jones mouse Davis a lot of the innovators on offense failed as qbs either in college or early in the pros. 

Sean mcvay is a offensive modern guru who is great with qbs and didn't play qb. He was also a failed college wr. But he is a disciple of Shanahan who was a qb. Plop doesn't have a coaching lineage to fall back on. Over coming not playing qb and not having that former qb great coach teacher is pretty near impossible to over come. 

Chip Kelly was a db. Don coryell was a hb. Woody Hayes was a tackle. Andy Reid was a tackle too. But that's early generation spread offense with coaches who qbd above their lineages. 

Reid coached under Mike Holmgren. He brought that knowledge of the West Coast Offense with him to Philly. I'm not sure if he still runs that offense as Eric Bienemy is the OC in Kansas City.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Reid coached under Mike Holmgren. He brought that knowledge of the West Coast Offense with him to Philly. I'm not sure if he still runs that offense as Eric Bienemy is the OC in Kansas City.

Good point. The amount of great ocs who didn't play qb and didn't have a qb with a great system teach them is tiny. It's like trying to make all pro in the nfl being 100 lbs soaking wet. 

If plop could recognize his limitations and bring in a guy like a younger Dinwiddie help make the playbook but let his oc call the game and coach qbs he could be successful. He is a good personnel coach. But that wouldn't happen. Even if he wanted it I don't think it's possible with the coaching cap. 

21 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Funny thing about Sean Mcvay is he beat out Calvin Johnson who arguably is the most dominant receiver of all time for Georgia states player of the year back in high school. 

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Funny thing about Sean Mcvay is he beat out Calvin Johnson who arguably is the most dominant receiver of all time for Georgia states player of the year back in high school. 

Omg that's hilarious I'd never heard that before thanks for sharing. 

It's a pick em between moss and Megatron imo. But I'd probably go with Megatron. Watching him play it looked like he could've kicked it into another gear and gone all Michal Jordan any time he wanted. Those two wrs are just from another planet. 

37 minutes ago, Booch said:

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have announced they've signed OL Na'Ty Rodgers, who started some games for the #Redblacks last season. #CFL

lol....Thats inspiring 

Funny thing is they could likely improve their ol with the couple imps they've plucked recently but still have the worst ol and be even worse off ratio wise. 

36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He's a 100k a year back up qb. And yes as many people will point out he is nuttier than an out house rat. 

Between Masoli mbt and streveler who do you take if you need a starting qb? Masoli is the better qb but he's anti clutch. And an anti vax nut bag. I'd still take streveler. I'll bet on heart and a good head on his shoulders every time. 

I actually think Montreal would be a great spot for strevy. Rpo former great qb in khari who has worked well with mobile qbs who are limited passers great run game and wrs. 

I don't want any unvaxed players on the team, so it's no to Masoli unless he gets vaxxed.

I don't see MBT as a MOS kind of player.

That leaves Harris or Streveler. Harris is the better passer by far. He cracks under pressure, but our OL should make sure that doesn't happen very often. Harris may not be fully vaxxed and that could take him out of contention. We should be able to get Streveler for a lot less money and we don't need the offense to produce big numbers to win with our defense being as good as it is. It would be fun to see him in Bucks offense to lay the boogeyman PLAP OC argument to rest once and for all.

6 hours ago, Nolby said:

It's no offense but he's the CFL version of Cam Newton. Can run the ball extremely well, run RPO's but when it comes down to strictly throwing Westwood isn't wrong. I'd kill to have him back but McGuire is just fine here.

McGuire has not shown himself to be more than a decent third-down-one-yard-plunge guy. Should not be difficult to find better, and Streveler was.

36 minutes ago, Tracker said:

McGuire has not shown himself to be more than a decent third-down-one-yard-plunge guy. Should not be difficult to find better, and Streveler was.

Truth. 

It is hard to find qbs with projectable arm talent and the mine to execute. I imagine finding all that and a fifo locker room guy isn't easy. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Do we really know that, though?  The only really good look we got was in horrible weather with a weaker roster.  I'm fine with being patient with him if we get Zach back.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Yes because we can only count the time McGuire played in a terrible rain storm with back ups and have to ignore his pre season time in which he played perfectly fine with back ups in nice weather.      

19 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yes because we can only count the time McGuire played in a terrible rain storm with back ups and have to ignore his pre season time in which he played perfectly fine with back ups in nice weather.      

If you use a pre-season game as better criteria than a real-game outing, sure.

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't want any unvaxed players on the team, so it's no to Masoli unless he gets vaxxed.

I don't see MBT as a MOS kind of player.

That leaves Harris or Streveler. Harris is the better passer by far. He cracks under pressure, but our OL should make sure that doesn't happen very often. Harris may not be fully vaxxed and that could take him out of contention. We should be able to get Streveler for a lot less money and we don't need the offense to produce big numbers to win with our defense being as good as it is. It would be fun to see him in Bucks offense to lay the boogeyman PLAP OC argument to rest once and for all.

You don't have to worry about Massoli as Zach signed this afternoon.  I doubt if Streveler is coming back. I'd rather we spend the money we'd have to pay him to sign either Kenney Lawler or Rasheed Bailey. 

What a day!!!!! First Biggie. Then Zach. Now Geoff Gray!

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/01/17/im-happy-gray-staying-home/

Edited by SpeedFlex27