2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

I would never pay Streveler as a full time starter, and I don't think he comes back to the CFL to be a gimmick guy making back-up QB money, so I'm not sure what exactly you do with a guy like that. If there was a way they could afford both Collaros and Strev as back-up gimmick guy, I would be over the moon......but that seems impossible. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I would never pay Streveler as a full time starter, and I don't think he comes back to the CFL to be a gimmick guy making back-up QB money, so I'm not sure what exactly you do with a guy like that. If there was a way they could afford both Collaros and Strev as back-up gimmick guy, I would be over the moon......but that seems impossible. 

For argumentative purposes; if Zach decides to leave where would you rank strev as a replacement amongst those available?

2 seasons in the NFL may have improved his accuracy 

Edited by CodyT

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I would sign him ahead of the other options I see out there.

And then you are scouting hard for the 'next' guy.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that's a HUGE drop off from Collaros to Strev, IMO..... I like that he'd have a good handle on our offense (in theory), but I still don't trust him as a full time starter. 

Doesn't really answer my question, undoubtedly a massive drop off from collaros. I wonder if strev can turn into the matt Dunnigan, Danny mac gun slinger or if he will always be a gadget guy 

Yeah if Collaros isn't an option, I see Strev as the next best available. I'd expect them to build an offence around him which would really be interesting. But I would honestly trust him as a full time starter. There would certainly still be a bit of a learning curve, but I'd be ok starting the year with him under centre.

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Streveler is a backup in both leagues but he is suited athletically more to our league than the NFL. That being said, I'd sign him to be #2. I'd hope that working behind Kyler Murray & being coached up by Cliff Kingsbury that his throwing would have improved. 

I don't know what Streveler has done that makes people think he's a viable #1 in the CFL.... I absolutely love the guy, as much as anyone, but he's never shown anything that proves he can be a #1. He's a complimentary piece, but not the main guy. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I don't know what Streveler has done that makes people think he's a viable #1 in the CFL.... I absolutely love the guy, as much as anyone, but he's never shown anything that proves he can be a #1. He's a complimentary piece, but not the main guy. 

Agree. I used to call him a "gimmick qb". I just think he's an absolute run first qb. Tough as nails & fires everyone up. He makes plays & wins with his legs but not his arm. Give him a package of run/short pass plays he shines. Give him the entire playbook & he struggles.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Agree. I used to call him a "gimmick qb". I just think he's an absolute run first qb. Tough as nails & fires everyone up. He makes plays & wins with his legs but not his arm. Give him a package of run/short pass plays he shines. Give him the entire playbook & he struggles.

I think the verdict is still out on that. He's pretty young yet 

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

To say definitively either way is showing a bias. He's started what 12(?) games. Far too early to write him off.

Also he **** kicked the Riders so that has to be worth something!! :) 

Edited by Bigblue204

If we by chance lose Collaros then we would likely lose out on potential WR options if Lawler leaves. Having a qb that's won back to back is a very flashy toy to some of these elite receivers and could help bring some of these guys in for cheaper if they know theyve got that chance to win, Streveler won't have that kind of pull,Zach is priority #1 until we know he's too far out of reach.

Edited by Nolby

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He's 27 years old. I don't think the verdict is still out on Streveler on what he brings to the table.

Plop had him running lousey fake rpo crap and throwing 5 yard outs. 

I'd love to see what he could do with bucks playbook and what buck could do with his skill set. 

Imagine trying to defend counter qb Power and qb power like the ravens run but with strevy in the cfl. 

June Jones has applied to be the hc at Hawaii again. Probably gets the job too. 

Not sure why u can just say Stevy is a gimmick guy...that's basically how he was used by Lapo....and never let him do much else.....he wasn't a gimmick guyy in college, and in his first year here as well, was ok passing for a raw rookie to the league...guy has a good arm, can move, and if allowed to pass, and run will be just fine....2 yrs in the NFL, I am quite certain he has worked on a thing or two.

If we were to tie our wagon to him, because ZC bolted, I would be fine with that...especially if we even have close to what we had on defense...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

as SF27 mentioned (and I trust him on QB's more than anyone on this board because his son is/was a good one) Strev's throwing mechanics are a big issue, IMO. 

he is a thrower pretty much how Phillip Rivers was/is...he did ok.....and what I like about Strev is no windup and easily can make a throw in full gallop...and is less likely to have shoulder issues...seen a ton of guys with his motion...and never were an issue

I don't like that throwing motion....it's like throwing a dart. Zero wind up, just straight out. I don't know enough to know enough, but I trust QB coaches when they say the mechanics aren't right. I love Strev...truly I do....and would love to have him back. But man, I'm not comfortable with him as a #1 guy. 

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

Not sure why u can just say Stevy is a gimmick guy...that's basically how he was used by Lapo....and never let him do much else.....he wasn't a gimmick guyy in college, and in his first year here as well, was ok passing for a raw rookie to the league...guy has a good arm, can move, and if allowed to pass, and run will be just fine....2 yrs in the NFL, I am quite certain he has worked on a thing or two.

If we were to tie our wagon to him, because ZC bolted, I would be fine with that...especially if we even have close to what we had on defense...

he is a thrower pretty much how Phillip Rivers was/is...he did ok.....and what I like about Strev is no windup and easily can make a throw in full gallop...and is less likely to have shoulder issues...seen a ton of guys with his motion...and never were an issue

Philips throwing mechanics worked for him. I doubt others could throw the ball the way he did with the same kind of accuracy. Certainly Strevy's passing mechanics makes him throw wild sometimes & his accuracy is inconsistent. One time he can thread the needle. The next throw he has a pick. His game is run first & pass 2nd. I will stick to my feeling he is a gimmick qb working well with a short playbook suited to his physical attributes as a qb.

When Nichols went down in 19, Strev really struggled with the entire playbook. When Zach came in, Streveler's role totally changed to what he's good at. Short yardage, run the ball & throw quick, short passes. I'll give him credit in that he did find some of his receivers open downfield when he played. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Never? You forget some of the good games he played and focus on the bad ones. He's a better passer than you give him credit for.