2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That doesn't make their play clock rules any less boring. Way too much standing around between plays in the NFL 

I have to 100% disagree with this. The CFL is much, much worse.

Their play clock starts immediately.

We have to wait for the refs to blow it in. I see way too much standing around in-between games whie the refs have a chat when the ball should be placed and the clock ticking.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I have to 100% disagree with this. The CFL is much, much worse.

Their play clock starts immediately.

We have to wait for the refs to blow it in. I see way too much standing around in-between games whie the refs have a chat when the ball should be placed and the clock ticking.

I have to disagree with you  NFL games take forever. Spotting the ball doesn't take 20 seconds, the gsme definitely feels faster both live and on TV.

Obviously it depends on the game, but I ca't count the amount of times I've yelled at the TV when the refs are just sitting there on the field, all the time in world, before finally getting into position and starting the clock. I hate it..

Make it 30 seconds instead of 40, but one of my main complaints about the CFL is time between plays. I would love if we added play clock rules that aren't dependant on the refs to whistle it in. 

39 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That doesn't make their play clock rules any less boring. Way too much standing around between plays in the NFL 

The play clock difference is way overblown. The NFL starts the play clock almost immediately. In the CFL they wait for substitution, refs ready then blow it in. If you did an average time between each play the difference would be much smaller then you think. 

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

I have to disagree with you  NFL games take forever. Spotting the ball doesn't take 20 seconds, the gsme definitely feels faster both live and on TV.

I think both arguments are correct.  The NFL play clock is too long, but I like that they whistle play in right away. The shorter play clock in the CFL is good, but the inconsistent whistling in of play is horrible. Idk if you could run an offense with a 20 second play clock where play is whistled in as it is in the NFL. I would LOVE to see a game with a 30 second play clock where play is whistled in right away. 

The NFL is much more watchable than it was in the late 90s early 2ks. The offensive innovation is incredible on soo many fronts. The CFL has really lagged in this area since the early 2ks when every team went to a 5 by 1 pistol base. 

To me the NFL still feels like the no fun league though. It feels like upsets and big come backs are still extremely rare. The 40 second play clock feels slow, and the 4 downs makes each play feel far less important and the drives feel much slower. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I liked jackson bit surprised he's a toss in guy. But over all its a MEH trade for me. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Small percentage? 

Your claim of 50% racists is naive.     Just because a place voted for Trump does not make people racists.  I've never heard of anyone having issues in Grand Forks/Fargo for being non-white... I have heard/experienced/witnessed many issues in our own bible belt for non-white or non hetero people.   

Don't base an opinion on stereotypes and cherry picked articles on the internet.      

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Your claim of 50% racists is naive.     Just because a place voted for Trump does not make people racists.  I've never heard of anyone having issues in Grand Forks/Fargo for being non-white... I have heard/experienced/witnessed many issues in our own bible belt for non-white or non hetero people.   

Don't base an opinion on stereotypes and cherry picked articles on the internet.      

If you drew a line from Steinbach to Morden, the culture of the people in that area would shock most Canadians and Winnipeggers. I've spent most of my life in that area, and again reside in that range. The lack of acceptance and compassion for any one who doesn't conform as white, straight, and Christian is awful. The attitude of people here towards things like kids dying of covid, to the gay pride parade, and any thing none Christian, could easily make you feel like you've slipped into a time warp and found your self in Alabama during the 1950s.  

Edited by wbbfan

we've really derailed this read, but I just wanna say (as someone who has a strong distaste for Manitoba's Bible Belt) that they actually will tolerate non-white people as long as they're devout Christian. They've brought in many Mexican-Mennonite people over the years, and those folks are a big part of the population boom down there. 

48 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think both arguments are correct.  The NFL play clock is too long, but I like that they whistle play in right away. The shorter play clock in the CFL is good, but the inconsistent whistling in of play is horrible. Idk if you could run an offense with a 20 second play clock where play is whistled in as it is in the NFL. I would LOVE to see a game with a 30 second play clock where play is whistled in right away. 

I think this is a fantastic idea.

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Is it a problem getting youth players to play the current 3 down game? My brother’s youngest in in high school football in Toronto, and he says 3 down football hurts their development because the one less down mean much more punting and they don’t get the reps to learn. Not sure if there is any validity to that, but has BC not moved to a 4 down game at all levels outside of CIS and the CFL? Do we need kids playing the 3 down version in grade school to make them CFL fans as they get older? Thoughts?

I guess Nic Demski, Kian Schaefer-Baker, Juwan Brescascin, Andrew Harris & Sean Thomas-Erlington didn't get much development playing 3 down football. Not to disrespect your brother but that's the dumbest take by anyone who has a kid playing football. Participation is down not because of 3 downs but because parents are afraid of brain injuries. As was stated, Special Teams are a big part of the Canadian game. No one gets less development playing 3 down football as compared to four. 

53 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I guess Nic Demski, Kian Schaefer-Baker, Juwan Brescascin, Andrew Harris & Sean Thomas-Erlington didn't get much development playing 3 down football. Not to disrespect your brother but that's the dumbest take by anyone who has a kid playing football. Participation is down not because of 3 downs but because parents are afraid of brain injuries. As was stated, Special Teams are a big part of the Canadian game. No one gets less development playing 3 down football as compared to four. 

Have to agree...I played..coached and helped develop players both sides of the border and that idea of lack of development is silly...it's never been an issue...ever before...so why now?

The bigger difference and reason for is the facilities...training.. football specific training facilities...coaching...etc down south that makes the difference.

If Canada put into ykuth and minor football as well as the high powered highschool system what the U S did you would see development right on par and in a lot of cases better.

I've worked with Canadian kids in the u s at recruitment ready development camps and the ones who played u s post secondary..as opposed to Canadian is night and day..and that's due to the poor exposure u get in Canada to trainjng...coaches...and position specific camps

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You get more series with 3 downs too. It puts a higher emphasis on each play too. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I think this is a fantastic idea.

Thats one that could be good on both sides or the border. Changes like that are what the league should look at each year. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

we've really derailed this read, but I just wanna say (as someone who has a strong distaste for Manitoba's Bible Belt) that they actually will tolerate non-white people as long as they're devout Christian. They've brought in many Mexican-Mennonite people over the years, and those folks are a big part of the population boom down there. 

That's true but the south Bible belt is German Mennonite. The Mexican Mennonite communities is a divergent group separated by a generation or less most of the time. The French catholic and German Mennonite communities don't mix nearly as well. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Back to the off season.......  Hamilton signed Van Zeyl..... yay for them.  

Van turnstyle

Something that gets lost in the mix when comparing the excitement of CFL vs NFL is the amount of games played each week. The NFL and broadcasting partners have a much larger pool of games to select from. If 3 NFL games are super exciting one week, people talk about how much excitement there was for that week....but if only 1 game from the CFL is exciting, people complain that it was a boring week. 

57 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Something that gets lost in the mix when comparing the excitement of CFL vs NFL is the amount of games played each week. The NFL and broadcasting partners have a much larger pool of games to select from. If 3 NFL games are super exciting one week, people talk about how much excitement there was for that week....but if only 1 game from the CFL is exciting, people complain that it was a boring week. 

Yeah, I watch Red Zone - the scoring and exciting plays never stop. It makes it seem like the NFL is farrrrrr more exciting than it actually is.

Just watch a Thursday Night game, start to finish and tell me that's more entertaining a CFL game? Brah, please...

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

Still bigotry and intolerance- just a different discrimination targets. 

It’s funny how often debates about saving the CFL and not turning it into the NFL turn into arguments about the merits of each game and why people who pump up the NFL or talk down the CFL in comparison are right or wrong. And maybe this is the issue that we need to ignore rather than examine to start fixing the league. I wrote about looking at the Australian model of Aussie Rules vs rugby, and maybe the answer there is that they DON’T compare themselves. 

There is such an inferiority complex about Canada and the CFL and that Toronto isn’t big league without the NFL. Trying to measure up to the NFL seems like the wrong approach. Just accept that the NFL is bigger, louder, better athletes, provides better entertainment. So what? There is room to watch NHL and NFL in the same months without always needing to compare the two, because they are different. So let’s start treating the CFL the same way. It is a different sport than American football, is a summer league and not a fall league, there can be room for both in our world. Let it rise or fall on its own merit and stop worrying about competing with the NFL. Sell it on its own, fix the issues with marketing or costs or rules without getting caught up in “how does the NFL compare”. 

Now I know some will say we need to compare since the players we have are always at risk to go to the big league, so you can’t ignore it. And not comparing hockey to NFL is easy because there is no player overlap. Well, maybe stop worrying about players leaving and remember that there are a bunch of two sport athletes in baseball and football who choose one over the other and no one sweats about MLB if a draft pick chooses football instead. And CFL rosters have always managed to be stocked in the past with the NFL around.

Push the uniqueness of the game here on its own without trying to show why it can one-up the NFL. Avoid the discussion of “well the NFL is better” with critics and focus on if the CFL is good enough of its own accord. Because the NFL argument doesn’t solve any problems and is just going to be a losing fight at the end of the day. Stop trying to convert NFL fans and work on making them CFL fans as well as opposed to instead.