2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

Jerome Messam gonna be a jailbird.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/former-stampeder-jerome-messam-pleads-guilty-to-secretly-recording-sexual-encounter

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Lucky isn't even the best receiver on the Lions, how much are they gonna pay Burn-em?

They're hoping Lucky sells some tickets. Burnham will re-sign. He obviously likes the Lower Mainland. He'll stay. 

7 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

May want to revisit Wieneke skill set. He is 100% a deep ball guy who can go make the hard catches. I believe he had the #1 play in the 10 plays of the year with a fantastic deep ball catch. 

Love the way he fights for and gets the contested catches. Not superfast but seems to get open a lot.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

He was injured in 19....that's how Grant became the returner. 

Correction... Nelson was our kick returner/receiver and got hurt in the first 1/3 of the season and Grant was brought in to replace him. 

Lucky Whitehead did get hurt right before the play offs and missed the Cup run.

Grant also was hurt I think for one week in which Kenny Walker returned for us. 

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

My memory is that Lucky came in and had a KR TD in his first game and then got hurt and the next game Grant was returning... And then HE had a KR TD (2??) in his first game... 

Janarion Grant was with the team in week 9.  Charles Nelson was returning kicks for the first 5 weeks.  

Lucky was with the team up until the play offs.      https://www.cfl.ca/players/lucky-whitehead/163481/

6 hours ago, CodyT said:

To be honest I'm surprised grant hasnt gotten nfl looks because to me he's an nfl talent guy 

28 is too old in the political nfl world?

He had issues holding on to the ball. He has had a bit of that here combined with difficulty staying healthy. Not a recipe for him to make it back to the NFL. 

Their loss is our gain!

Hoping he re-signs and can stay healthy. 

Edited by Geebrr

3 hours ago, Geebrr said:

He had issues holding on to the ball. He has had a bit of that here combined with difficulty staying healthy. Not a recipe for him to make it back to the NFL. 

Their loss is our gain!

Hoping he re-signs and can stay healthy. 

They don't chase twitchy quick small guys with slow 40s into their late 20s either. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Woli could be that guy but we just don't throw to the boundary receiver. 

Yep. His year 2 production was better than guys like lenius. He is a 1k yards quality wr all day. But he fills a role instead. 

32 minutes ago, Booch said:

wonder what that moron will tweet about tho huge overpay to the Duke....and yeah....what about that FAJ deal??!?!?......thats friggin laughable

Or that secondary. Or ped Leonard. Ac is like swac back in the day. When he doesn't get sacks he doesn't have an impact. Wj contributes more to our defence when he isn't getting pressure than ac when he is. 

Nice to see Riders using up cap space re-signing their crappy o-line guys....Vaughn was part of a crappy oline in 2019...missed 2020 as did all and 2021...keep em coming Oday haha

and yup..PED Leonard...gets a sack...usually 2 crippling penalties, but thats about it...doesn't impact a game to necessitate his 200k+...they should roll with their rookies who did well, and use PED's cash for o-line, DB's, and linebackers...they so thin and weak there

18 hours ago, Geebrr said:

RF says PED Leonard was tested multiple times after his suspension last season (unsubstantiated?) + he apologized and that is the most important part.

When you test positive once (which is the equivalent to his declined test) then you get tested more... so it is believable that he has passed several times since... otherwise he would've been suspended again

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

When you test positive once (which is the equivalent to his declined test) then you get tested more... so it is believable that he has passed several times since... otherwise he would've been suspended again

He didn't test positive. He refused to pee because he knew he was guilty.

Where do you see that is the equiivalent of testing positive in regards to testing?

Edited by Geebrr

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Nice to see Riders using up cap space re-signing their crappy o-line guys....Vaughn was part of a crappy oline in 2019...missed 2020 as did all and 2021...keep em coming Oday haha

and yup..PED Leonard...gets a sack...usually 2 crippling penalties, but thats about it...doesn't impact a game to necessitate his 200k+...they should roll with their rookies who did well, and use PED's cash for o-line, DB's, and linebackers...they so thin and weak there

They are 5ol and 1 season playing together away from having a good ol. If they had Nichols or Harris or blm etc they would've been Ottawa bad. Fajardos legs gave them their only life and his lack of a good arm took it right back. 

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

IF Lawler takes a hike then we should take a look at Burnham....Weineke in Mont. should be on our radar as well....Both of these guys have 'the great hands' in traffic..I want Kenny back firstly

I agree. But I don't think we will. I think it'll be another big batch of rookies and a couple returnees from 2021 filling out the ranks. Stewart Nelson and McKnight. Id love to see the Nelson era end but I don't expect it. 

21 hours ago, wbbfan said:

They don't chase twitchy quick small guys with slow 40s into their late 20s either. 

Yep. His year 2 production was better than guys like lenius. He is a 1k yards quality wr all day. But he fills a role instead. 

Or that secondary. Or ped Leonard. Ac is like swac back in the day. When he doesn't get sacks he doesn't have an impact. Wj contributes more to our defence when he isn't getting pressure than ac when he is. 

Yeah I get your argument with Grant but theirs no doubt he's an electric player. When he gets the ball it really; to me anyway, feels like anything can happen. 

Edited by CodyT

9 hours ago, CodyT said:

Yeah I get your argument with Grant but theirs no doubt he's an electric player. When he gets the ball it really; to me anyway, feels like anything can happen. 

For sure. I wish we rotated him in on the offense frequently. Some jet sweep some demski stuff screens etc. The guy can do damage with the ball in his hands and he runs north south. He's perfect for up here. 

Imagine if we ran a jet sweep with reverse motion? Demski going one way and Grant going the other. Defense would have fits.