2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

His approach of trading draft picks for players was controversial for some, but it did rebuild a terrible team faster than expected. He felt a known commodity was better than an unproven draft choice that they might lose to free agency anyway once they developed him. Long term it meant the club had trouble maintaining a consistent stable contender, but short term it built a good team from a bad one and brought in key pieces. 

21 hours ago, wbbfan said:

With all the guys in line to move up to that kind of job going dumpster diving for old has beens is pretty sad. 

In this case it wouldn't surprise me if they literally did find Taman in a dumpster, or at the very least living in his car like ole Gil lol...

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

I will always have a soft spot for Taman... He did yeomans work with virtually no help for a lotta years and brought in some great players. 

He was basically the GM and not getting credit for it during the Ritchie run.

That 2000 team was one of the most fun teams I have ever watched. 

26 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Taman wasn't given the same resources that Kyle has at his disposal now. Very true. That said, would he have done as much with them as Kyle has done?

19 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

In retrospect - You can disagree with how Taman put together a team, but he did give head coaches enough talent to go to/win championships.  It feels like both times he got fired was after seasons where his starting QB was hurt and the backups in place sucked... but it's really hard to know how well a backup will play given the starting position until they actually have to do it.

10 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Taman wasn't given the same resources that Kyle has at his disposal now. Very true. That said, would he have done as much with them as Kyle has done?

I am not really a Taman guy as much as others. He did the best he could with what he had, but KW is just a better GM. 

Taman had some serious faults (including basically ignoring the draft).

I don't hate the guy by any means, he did put together some good teams and we did find some good players.

16 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

In retrospect - You can disagree with how Taman put together a team, but he did give head coaches enough talent to go to/win championships.  It feels like both times he got fired was after seasons where his starting QB was hurt and the backups in place sucked... but it's really hard to know how well a backup will play given the starting position until they actually have to do it.

He gave big  "last chance" contracts to vets because we couldn't find our new guys.

It put us in a perpetually bad spot talent and salary cap wise.

On top of zero ability to draft. 

2 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Tamans ultimate down fall was that he didn’t value Canadian talent the same way Walters has. He was consistently trading picks and our depth was horrendous. When guys like Dave Donaldson and Marcus Howell are a staple stone there’s going to be trouble. 

Brendan 'napkin' Taman had a penchant for trading away our top draft pics in hopes of creating a winner....didn't work...In fact it set us back years in the Canuck talent dept.....He did have a speedy rollodex handy when his latest effort didnt work and came up with a couple of good 'fill ins'....but it all seemed so weak.......Will he do a better job in Ottawa??? Hard to teach an old dog new tricks but maybe he still has a few up his sleeve ....Lapo better keep an eye on him though, and when he starts eyeing up the Redblacks high pic's; Paul better rein him in..

Edited by Stickem

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Taman was just always about the now rather than long term.

He's gonna be pushing them to trade any and all draft picks for questionable depth pieces back up qbs and sters. 

Wonder if plop will make another attempt to dive after any of our cuts or fas. 

Or if Chris Jones go after some argos fas. 

Will Masoli get Vaxxed or be done in the cfl

Is blm done in Calgary 

Soo many big questions this off season. It's going to be a wild fa period. 

25 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I much prefer Walters approach and am of course happy that Walters is our GM but Taman did put together some good teams that were fun to watch (2000-2003, 2007).

imagine those teams though with a FIFO mentality enforced, you'd have just had Milt and Khari running out on the field every game lol...

Well...

I was frustrated with the way Taman traded picks and handled the draft

I believed Joe Mack would do things differently, and for a while it looked he was, but it turned out to be smoke and mirrors

In hindsight, they would have been better off keeping Taman

When it came to Walters / O'Shea, I was cautiously optimistic, but twice burned and somewhat cynical

Yes, many of us here say we prefer the long term approach, but there was plenty of impatience while the building blocks were put in place

And, maybe Taman has learned a thing or two.  Because, let's be honest, most of the key pieces of our current Bomber team, were not drafted by Winnipeg.  

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah didn't those comments come from disgraced exec John Murphy? While working for noted piece of trash Mike Kelly?

I wasn't rating these people on personality types.  John Murphy is (was?) a million times a better GM then Taman was.  

Tim Burke by all accounts was a very nice man and great guy.  No way would I say he's a better coach then Chris Jones because he was a nice guy. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Based on what exactly? As others said he's never been a gm and Taman is a gm with a championship on his resume...

Lol based on the fact that he's brought in great players and Taman is only known for his subway sandwich napkins and occasionally making a decent trade.   Taman has been ridiculed how many times over the years and given a pass because people feel sorry for him.       If Taman was some great GM material and his only missing ingredient would be money for scouts... then why hasn't any team given him the keys and some money?  Why are teams not fighting over signing the guy to be a part of their team.     Look Murphy is an idiot off the field and nobody is going to deny that,  but come on now any one of us could stumble around and make a few trades like Taman did and just build a team around players that we already know about.   

So based on your quote..... what has Milt Stegall done with his zero Grey Cups on his resume?   Guy must be a bum.  That Paul LaPolice guy you crap on so much... how many Grey Cup rings does he have?