2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

Honestly, given the state of QBs league wide does anyone believe that Trevor Harris won't have a starting gig next season? Montreal are dumb in my mind to go with Vernon Adams over him, he'd be an upgrade on anything in Ottawa, he'd be better in Toronto than than the law firm of Mcleod, Bethel and Thompson, he'd be the best option in Edmonton but they kinda ****** that up too. Hell he's better than faj but don't tell the Riders that. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly, given the state of QBs league wide does anyone believe that Trevor Harris won't have a starting gig next season? Montreal are dumb in my mind to go with Vernon Adams over him, he'd be an upgrade on anything in Ottawa, he'd be better in Toronto than than the law firm of Mcleod, Bethel and Thompson, he'd be the best option in Edmonton but they kinda ****** that up too. Hell he's better than faj but don't tell the Riders that. 

The lawfirm hahaha I legitimately cracked up there

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think he does well in Saskatchewan... he needs to play behind an o-line that can protect him.  

I also think Arbuckle is a better option then him in Edmonton. 

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

They had to give Arbuckle an intensive tc experience to make sure his flex is up to elk standards. 

I actually like corny as a project qb and back up. He's a guy who should be cheap for a few years while he develops and he can do a couple things well. I wouldn't mind if he was our 4th qb to push McGuire in camp. 

Yeah maybe he won't Want to take the slow approach. But man the stream line to success hasn't been good to him either.  No one wants to be James Franklin. Future star qb to out of football by 30. 

Dinwiddie's decision to bench & then trade him had to be like being knifed in the back by his mentor in Calgary. That was perplexing. 

On 2021-12-19 at 4:29 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Neither did the Argos. Or apparently the Elks since he did not take one snap once he went there. If you are rejected in favour of a guy with a dead arm, rejected by a team despite being the only QB to beat the best team in the league when they weren’t playing scrubs, and can’t get a start on the worst team in the league , then there must be something severely toxic about you beyond your passing abilities. LaPo clearly bet his season on a healthy Nichols and got burned big time, and the GM had zero back-up plans for all the personnel losses. 

As an aside, that insider analysis was written by a writer who doesn’t even live in North America, much less Ottawa. 

You probably should use quotes as I thought you posted it. I think we had 2 stubborn (& stupid) coaches who misused (is that a word?) the qb positions on their teams. LaPo & Elizondo. No idea what Dinwiddie was thinking. From all accounts, Arbuckle is not toxic & is a good teammate. 

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I'm trying to imagine the result - if Trevor Harris had come in to the 2021 Grey Cup

I mean...ZC was already having trouble with the pressure. 

Check out 1984 Grey Cup.  Tom Clements was having a heck of a time with the Ti-Cats defense, and then old John Hufnagel came in for a change of pace, and the whole game started swinging back our way.  Clements then came in again and wiped the floor with them.  Sometimes a change of pace guy (like Strevy in 2019) can put a defense on their heels...

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Check out 1984 Grey Cup.  Tom Clements was having a heck of a time with the Ti-Cats defense, and then old John Hufnagel came in for a change of pace, and the whole game started swinging back our way.  Clements then came in again and wiped the floor with them.  Sometimes a change of pace guy (like Strevy in 2019) can put a defense on their heels...

I think Huffer threw a TD pass in that game to Joe Pop. I LOVE the Bombers playing playing Hamilton in the Grey Cup. We live rent free in every Ti Cats fans head. 

17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You probably should use quotes as I thought you posted it. I think we had 2 stubborn (& stupid) coaches who misused (is that a word?) the qb positions on their teams. LaPo & Elizondo. No idea what Dinwiddie was thinking. From all accounts, Arbuckle is not toxic & is a good teammate. 

I doubt Dinwiddie just traded Arbuckle without lengthy discussion, it certainly looks like Arbuckle did not want to share the QB position with MBT, or back him up and likely chose the trade option instead of showing patience.

Salary was also a factor, just found this.

Money also factored in the decision. John Murphy, Toronto's vice-president of player personnel, said the club couldn't afford to pay two quarterbacks as if they were starters, especially as more of Toronto's injured veterans become healthy and are ready to return.

``Having two starting quarterbacks was a really good concept until this point,'' he said. ``You can't successfully put your best ''A`` roster out there if at the same time you're paying two starting quarterbacks.''

https://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article/argonauts-trade-veteran-quarterback-nick-arbuckle-elks/

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne