2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

We did lose Glen Young last season. 

Maybe Jordan Younger as a DC somewhere? 

I don't have a problem with promotions or people accepting better jobs, as many of these individuals have earned these opportunities. I'm speaking about guys within our organization and those outside of our organization.

But, I hope to heck Chris Jones is not considered by any organization. Although, one organization speaks highly of him after he left them high & dry well after the period were most teams had their coaching staffs in place & set. This guy is strictly about himself and only himself. 

I think younger is our highest priority ast to retain. If He's patient he will be our DC one day. He might be able to get a DC job this year but with Jones claybrooks and possibly Glen Young kicking around idk if he will be a prime target for other teams. 

It sure would be great if Jones didn't get a hc gig for 2022 in the cfl.  That guys toxic af. I bet he will end up in the xfl and of usfl. 

Really glad coach o is staying with the Cats. That's great for the league. 

I expect to lose goveia to another team this year. And imo he's the single most deserving guy who isn't a gm right now. 

3 hours ago, coach17 said:

I don't often pay much attention to 3down articles but this one is pretty insightful and a good analysis of what went wrong in the Redblacks season. The Ottawa Redblacks 2021 post mortem | 3DownNation

LaPo is the big problem. He didn't want Arbuckle. He wanted Nichols. Just a horrible personnel decision that deep sixed their season. The salary cap on coaches saved his bacon. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

LaPo is the big problem. He didn't want Arbuckle. He wanted Nichols. Just a horrible personnel decision that deep sixed their season. The salary cap on coaches saved his bacon. 

Neither did the Argos. Or apparently the Elks since he did not take one snap once he went there. If you are rejected in favour of a guy with a dead arm, rejected by a team despite being the only QB to beat the best team in the league when they weren’t playing scrubs, and can’t get a start on the worst team in the league , then there must be something severely toxic about you beyond your passing abilities. LaPo clearly bet his season on a healthy Nichols and got burned big time, and the GM had zero back-up plans for all the personnel losses. 

As an aside, that insider analysis was written by a writer who doesn’t even live in North America, much less Ottawa. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Absolutely insanity on going for Nichols over Arbuckle.  I don't remember reading anything about Arbuckle being a bad locker room guy or a jerk or anything.    Very odd choice. 

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Absolutely insanity on going for Nichols over Arbuckle.  I don't remember reading anything about Arbuckle being a bad locker room guy or a jerk or anything.    Very odd choice. 

He's been screwed three times. Once by the RedBlacks with LaPo. Second by his former QB Coach Ryan Dinwiddie in Calgary & now HC of the Argos & then with Jaime Elizondo of the Elks who refused to play him. He would have been better off to have stayed with the Stamps. If I was Arbuckle, I'd have felt betrayed moreso by Dinwiddie than anyone else. When he injured his hamstring mid season in Toronto he wasn't playing that badly. I felt he was a better qb than Bethel-Thompson.

Yeah..Arbuckle isn't a bad lockeroom guy and outta him...MBT..Nichols and Cornelius he's the better of the 3...Lapo went with what he knew and who could run with his pop gun offence in Ottawa in yr one

Dinnwidie...big error there...MBT is not a long term answer...

Elizondo was a joke..mismanaged Harris to be honest and wanted to use his guy he brought there...big mistake too...now is Arbuckle a free agent?

I'd actually like to see us bring him in to backup ZC...sign him to a decent deal with a per start clause in there on top of if ZC goes down..

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah..Arbuckle isn't a bad lockeroom guy and outta him...MBT..Nichols and Cornelius he's the better of the 3...Lapo went with what he knew and who could run with his pop gun offence in Ottawa in yr one

Dinnwidie...big error there...MBT is not a long term answer...

Elizondo was a joke..mismanaged Harris to be honest and wanted to use his guy he brought there...big mistake too...now is Arbuckle a free agent?

I'd actually like to see us bring him in to backup ZC...sign him to a decent deal with a per start clause in there on top of if ZC goes down..

Booch, Sunderland gave Arbuckle a contract extension just before he was fired. He is an Elk for at least 2022.

I was actually looking at the stats.. the only quarterbacks to throw over 300 yards this season against us was Arbuckle in week three (the game Toronto beat us) and Maier the backup in Calgary the following week. Sure our defense got better as the season went on but I still think Arbuckle has the potential to be a starter in this league. 

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not to mention Flanders.  Dedmon looked good in limited reps on offense so logically he was never used again.

Plop in ott Looked like pure hubris. Like he thought these old guys and his system would churn out a bombers 2.0 squad. No good league wide scouting and didn't even use guys he had well. 

9 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I was actually looking at the stats.. the only quarterbacks to throw over 300 yards this season against us was Arbuckle in week three (the game Toronto beat us) and Maier the backup in Calgary the following week. Sure our defense got better as the season went on but I still think Arbuckle has the potential to be a starter in this league. 

No question he has the potential. Every year he doesn't become the guy makes his chances of fulfilling that potential more remote. 

If I was him I'd look for a good back up spot. Here Montreal or Hamilton. Go into the year as a back up prepared to see action at some point and have the pieces around you to succeed. 

59 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Not to mention Flanders.  Dedmon looked good in limited reps on offense so logically he was never used again.

Plop in ott Looked like pure hubris. Like he thought these old guys and his system would churn out a bombers 2.0 squad. No good league wide scouting and didn't even use guys he had well. 

No question he has the potential. Every year he doesn't become the guy makes his chances of fulfilling that potential more remote. 

If I was him I'd look for a good back up spot. Here Montreal or Hamilton. Go into the year as a back up prepared to see action at some point and have the pieces around you to succeed. 

Would be nice but Arbuckle is already 28. I don’t think he wants to spend another year being a back up or a 1)B kind of guy. I’m sure he wants a starter job with starter money. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I truly think the only reason Arbuckle didn't play in Edm was so they could see what Cornelius had and avoid any kind of injury to Arbuckle. He's signed through 2022 so I would assume he's their day 1 starter come June.

They had to give Arbuckle an intensive tc experience to make sure his flex is up to elk standards. 

I actually like corny as a project qb and back up. He's a guy who should be cheap for a few years while he develops and he can do a couple things well. I wouldn't mind if he was our 4th qb to push McGuire in camp. 

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Would be nice but Arbuckle is already 28. I don’t think he wants to spend another year being a back up or a 1)B kind of guy. I’m sure he wants a starter job with starter money. 

Yeah maybe he won't Want to take the slow approach. But man the stream line to success hasn't been good to him either.  No one wants to be James Franklin. Future star qb to out of football by 30.