2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

19 hours ago, JCon said:

QB Carousel this offseason? Who's available (realistically)? 

Reilly - I'm not sure he's really available. I don't think he leaves BC, unless they decide they really don't want him. I bet they keep him but on a lower salary. I believe he retires unless he gets an opportunity to go to a contender and I don't think the Bombers are interested.

BLM - Will his arm really heal? If the Stamps are concerned, I bet they trade him and re-sign Maier. 

Maier - He's probably in line to start somewhere next year but he better find the right fit. 

Yukon Cornelius - Depends on who comes in but I doubt he stays in the CFL. Did he show enough? Or did he show too much? 

Arbuckle - Already extended but a new GM may have another perspective. Could be available to bounce and not start at yet another team. 

Cody - Bleeds green, which is a huge health issue, BTW. I can't see them paying him $515k when they can get someone for less. 

Masoli - may stay in Hamilton if Evans leaves.

Evans - may stay in Hamilton if Masoli leaves.

MBT - I think the Argos look to replace him again this offseason but still keep him around to compete.

Duck - I hope the GM is looking to bring someone else in, for their sake. 

Adams - staying.

Harris - will be released. I wonder where he lands. I could see him going to BC, if the opportunity arises or Saskatchewan, if he's willing to start the season as a back-up.

Strev - Non-issue, until he's not pursuing the NFL. 

You left out Collaros. Whether we like it or not he's a pending FA.

7 hours ago, Booch said:

Yup...online will be key...I expect all back to be honest...and I can see big Stan getting right around what he got this yr...he won't hold team over barrel and he will play here...or he won't play

I see the same with Neuf...he is loyal and all about team...give him fair value..which we were already and he's back...same with yoshi...these guys are at their top level now basically...and they know they have pretty much 25k minimum sitting here waiting as playoff cash...

Desjarlais is one up for big bump and he will get it... Walters won't let him walk and I assume same with couture...and he is in contract 3 now too..so his bump isn't unmanageable

It may come down to one of Gray or Eli as worst case...I can live with that...

I can't see Harris holding us over barrel either and u would think if Darvin is back he will be at same or less..and Lawler and Bailey will be upgraded accordingly...also manageable...I know teams were advised to spend below the cap..not all did..not sure if we did...but we made it work..so confident we will again...possible cost cutting may be to veteran Canadian backups...Briggs..Gauthier..and guys like Josh Johnson and Antigua

The required bump to Desjarlais doesn't come without an equal loss somewhere else, so I'm not quite as confident as you. Biggie and Jefferson also took covid cuts and will expect to be taken care of. 

I see us losing an OL starter. The point of drafting and developing is to be able to plug in the next guy and not spend peak dollars on every member of the unit. 

16 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Re QB's:

BC - Reilly stays at a reduced contract & Rourke sticks around.

Calgary - BLM & Maier.

Edmonton - Arbuckle

Regina -Faj-jj at the decided on contract $.

Wpg - Status Quo.

Hamilton - Masoli.

Montreal - Adams & Harris.

Toronto - MBT & Pipkin

Ottawa - Masoli or Evans, whichever the Ticats let go.

The only way Harris stays in Montreal is if they cut him and then resign him to a back up deal. I'm sure he's going to go looking for a better situation.

There are so many guys like Maier, Arbuckle, Evans/Masoli, Harris that are going to want starting positions but not all are going to get them.

Throw Streveler in there too, maybe. 

Edited by Jesse
Additional points to make.

17 hours ago, Booch said:

new term tho..."Throw Fajardos"...one we shall roll with from this point forth!

I like the term but my problem is when to use it. I mean realistically anything beyond 10 yards is a hail mary for Cody.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

I didn't leave him out. This thread is the non-Champ edition. 

Oh...my bad.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I like the term but my problem is when to use it. I mean realistically anything beyond 10 yards is a hail mary for Cody.

Oh...my bad.

Anything that goes widely off the mark is a Fajardo.

---

But, really, I guess he and McGuire can be included because other teams could try to lure them. 

18 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

I'd make a play for Evans as the successor for ZC. Doubt he will want stand on the sidelines again though.  

Depends on what Zack wants to do.  I want Zack to retire a Bomber. Hope he comes back for another run. 

Dane is ready and willing to start now... no chance he comes here to be a back up... that said, if Zach has an unexpected retirement... I'd have no problem with Dane as the next guy

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

Anything that goes widely off the mark is a Fajardo.

---

But, really, I guess he and McGuire can be included because other teams could try to lure them. 

No team is going to fight to sign McGuire, if his performance this year was any indication. He should consider himself fortunate if the Bombers want him back.

Just now, Tracker said:

No team is going to fight to sign McGuire, if his performance this year was any indication. He should consider himself fortunate if the Bombers want him back.

I don't think one game would dissuade other teams. If one game is the mark, there are several HOF QBs who would not have survived. 

Just now, Jesse said:

It's more the other way, what has he done to entice other teams to sign him?

I don't understand? Same way you know about any other untested QB - you scout him. Lapo would know about him. 

We obviously scouted him, brought him in and kept him. 

The CFL is full of QBs who have bounced around. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't understand? Same way you know about any other untested QB - you scout him. Lapo would know about him. 

We obviously scouted him, brought him in and kept him. 

The CFL is full of QBs who have bounced around. 

Sure....I just don't see any condition in which he's "lured away" as you put it,

He may get a TC with another team if we let him go.

That's just semantics, though.

Edited by Jesse

Looking at the list of FA QBs around the league, I don't see McGuire getting lured away by anyone really. That doesn't mean someone might not sign him to sit on a PR or something but realistically whatever contract we offer him will likely be as good as it gets....and I don't expect we will offer him much.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Sure....I just don't see any condition in which he's "lured away" as you put it,

He may get a TC with another team if we let him go.

That's just semantics, though.

McGuire may have beaten out Brian Bennett as a rookie but let's face it, he's no upgrade from Brian Bennett. To me, he's just another Brian Bennett. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

You left out Collaros. Whether we like it or not he's a pending FA.

He'll be back iof he wants to keep playing. There is a possibility he retires. 

24 minutes ago, JCon said:

But Streveler passed him in TC and they cut Bennett. 

Yeah, no doubt Strev is a different kind of players. The way he played was guns a blazing on every play. He never lacked confidence. That carried him a long way. He was a leader on the field & in the locker room. 

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Not everyone will be able to appreciate the rain storm factor.

Or the OL playing it's worst game of the year. Or, key starters out. 

Stop making excuses! The backup qb played bad in his first ever start therefore he he trash and must be burned at the stake!

McGuire had the deck stacked against him and judging him solely on that game is doing him a massive disservice. 

all things considered...next year coming into season three he deserves a chnace to win QB 2....judging him on the MTL game is pointless...not a true indicator....all things previous to that indicated otherwise, and of all the QB's in 2019 and 2021..he has the most complete compliment of skillset...it's not an excuse for him, or being blind...just facts...that game was a bad situ in several factors