2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah...but they have upside still.....the Faj....Thtas what u get 

I ask this sincerely, but do you think there's a higher ceiling for BC's OL? I just thought they were pure hot garbage, with no real upside....

34 minutes ago, JCon said:

Coaching changes. 

Who will be the new GM in Edmonton. Jones as coach and GM? 

Does Duane Forde get the GM position in Ottawa? I bet he keeps Lapo, if he does. I think the organization wants that, anyhow. 

I wonder if Orlondo will leave too? And, does Condello take over?

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I’m hoping we can snag a veteran QB in the off season. If ZC goes down we won’t be playing the big game in Regina.

I'd make a play for Evans as the successor for ZC. Doubt he will want stand on the sidelines again though.  

Depends on what Zack wants to do.  I want Zack to retire a Bomber. Hope he comes back for another run. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I wonder if Orlondo will leave too? And, does Condello take over?

Heard a 7 firgure salary as DC south of the border is in play. 

Tough to turn that down if he is offered it. 

19 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Not sure why we don’t get to play Hamilton to start the season. Beating up on Ottawa isn’t an ideal way to start the season in terms of entertainment but I guess it will be a good way to ease into the season. 

Usually at the start of the year you never know who's going to be the powerhouse or div leader until a handful of games in. Ottawa in their first couple of games looked to have a real strong defense and looked good, I'd expect it to be a decent game at the least.

11 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Usually at the start of the year you never know who's going to be the powerhouse or div leader until a handful of games in. Ottawa in their first couple of games looked to have a real strong defense and looked good, I'd expect it to be a decent game at the least.

No Gif

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I thought for a long time that BLM would end up in Toronto. I'm not sure now given that Dickenson didn't make a change when it was clear that BLM could only throw Fajardos during the season. 

Is that a new counting stat?  Under 10 yards passes?  6/10 in Fajardos in today's game?

27 minutes ago, Nolby said:

True but Ottawa needs A LOT of work to become contenders. We’ll see. 

11 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

True but Ottawa needs A LOT of work to become contenders. We’ll see. 

agreed but worst-to-first turnarounds are not unheard of in the CFL and with everyone on one-year deals the league basically gets a talent reset every offseason.

that said I would be super surprised if Ottawa manages to do so, you look at the trouble they've had retaining free agents and wonder if firing Desjardins is enough to remedy the talent issues there ... and I don't think of Lapo as a guy who can coach up an undertalented roster like C-**** or Mass have shown. (I know nothing about coaching football)

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

For 550 k its not that the Riders could pay less it’s they could get a whole lot more imo for that type of money than CF and his green blood. More as in talent.

But but but he got them a first place and second place finish and almost made it to the GC this year (these are not my words), so that’s gotta be worth all the money right?🤣

7 minutes ago, johnzo said:

agreed but worst-to-first turnarounds are not unheard of in the CFL and with everyone on one-year deals the league basically gets a talent reset every offseason.

that said I would be super surprised if Ottawa manages to do so, you look at the trouble they've had retaining free agents and wonder if firing Desjardins is enough to remedy the talent issues there ... and I don't think of Lapo as a guy who can coach up an undertalented roster like C-**** or Mass have shown. (I know nothing about coaching football)

Worst to first only happens in a division like the east lol where you can go from winning 5 games to winning 9 games and get a first round bye. 

I'm gonna wait till I see what kind of roster we're able to afford til I scream about us pounding teams next year, but I have a lot of faith that whatever we put on the field is going to be damn good and a consensus favourite to at least win the division next year. 

1 hour ago, Dodge and Burn said:

I'd make a play for Evans as the successor for ZC. Doubt he will want stand on the sidelines again though.  

Depends on what Zack wants to do.  I want Zack to retire a Bomber. Hope he comes back for another run. 

It's a dream offer. Coach your natural background,in your home state also making a million plus each year.....very hard to turn down.

Re QB's:

BC - Reilly stays at a reduced contract & Rourke sticks around.

Calgary - BLM & Maier.

Edmonton - Arbuckle

Regina -Faj-jj at the decided on contract $.

Wpg - Status Quo.

Hamilton - Masoli.

Montreal - Adams & Harris.

Toronto - MBT & Pipkin

Ottawa - Masoli or Evans, whichever the Ticats let go.

1 hour ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Bethel Thompson might become available. I am not sure he would take the pay cut but behind a decent O-line and good receivers, he ought to be serviceable.

55 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Re QB's:

Calgary - BLM & Maier.

Edmonton - Arbuckle

Wpg - Status Quo.

Hamilton - Masoli.

Toronto - MBT & Pipkin

Maier won't stay. He'll sign elsewhere. If he wants to back up Mitchell then he might as well sign here backing up Collaros. BLM should be the one to leave. If Wally was the GM & head coach, BLM wouldn't be back. Wally cut Allen Pitts after a thousand yard season so he could sign another slotback who was younger & cheaper. Wally was cutthroat. 

5 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

What are the odds on the first media member to use this? 

Anyone ever see that interview Jim Rome had with LA Rams QB Jim Everett back in 1994 where Rome kept calling him "Chris" or "Chrissy" (referring to tennis star Chris Everett). This is what happened... Cody might snap like Chrissy did here. This interview made Jim Rome famous & he's now the highest paid sports announcer in America. Not the greatest audio quality...

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Re QB's:

Calgary - BLM & Maier.

Edmonton - Arbuckle

Wpg - Status Quo.

Hamilton - Masoli.

Toronto - MBT & Pipkin

I'm very very confident that Zach signs at least a 2 year contract,I wonder if he'll literally wait and see what happens with our oline first? He could almost ask a max dollar amount given he's the regular season/playoff mvp. I think Bighill gets a little more as he took a monster paycut,Adams stays at a reduced salary,Jefferson wants to move his family here from Texas so I think he stick,as well as jeffcoat. The oline will be the tricky part and the most expensive after this year's performance. Locking Castillo up is a must(he's turning 32 next November,NFL window might almost be shut). Like I said in an earlier post,I'm very glad I don't have Kyle Walters job this off season,he's gonna be totally gray or bald at the end of all this.

Yup...online will be key...I expect all back to be honest...and I can see big Stan getting right around what he got this yr...he won't hold team over barrel and he will play here...or he won't play

I see the same with Neuf...he is loyal and all about team...give him fair value..which we were already and he's back...same with yoshi...these guys are at their top level now basically...and they know they have pretty much 25k minimum sitting here waiting as playoff cash...

Desjarlais is one up for big bump and he will get it... Walters won't let him walk and I assume same with couture...and he is in contract 3 now too..so his bump isn't unmanageable

It may come down to one of Gray or Eli as worst case...I can live with that...

I can't see Harris holding us over barrel either and u would think if Darvin is back he will be at same or less..and Lawler and Bailey will be upgraded accordingly...also manageable...I know teams were advised to spend below the cap..not all did..not sure if we did...but we made it work..so confident we will again...possible cost cutting may be to veteran Canadian backups...Briggs..Gauthier..and guys like Josh Johnson and Antigua