2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

QB Carousel this offseason? Who's available (realistically)? 

Reilly - I'm not sure he's really available. I don't think he leaves BC, unless they decide they really don't want him. I bet they keep him but on a lower salary. I believe he retires unless he gets an opportunity to go to a contender and I don't think the Bombers are interested.

BLM - Will his arm really heal? If the Stamps are concerned, I bet they trade him and re-sign Maier. 

Maier - He's probably in line to start somewhere next year but he better find the right fit. 

Yukon Cornelius - Depends on who comes in but I doubt he stays in the CFL. Did he show enough? Or did he show too much? 

Arbuckle - Already extended but a new GM may have another perspective. Could be available to bounce and not start at yet another team. 

Cody - Bleeds green, which is a huge health issue, BTW. I can't see them paying him $515k when they can get someone for less. 

Masoli - may stay in Hamilton if Evans leaves.

Evans - may stay in Hamilton if Masoli leaves.

MBT - I think the Argos look to replace him again this offseason but still keep him around to compete.

Duck - I hope the GM is looking to bring someone else in, for their sake. 

Adams - staying.

Harris - will be released. I wonder where he lands. I could see him going to BC, if the opportunity arises or Saskatchewan, if he's willing to start the season as a back-up.

Strev - Non-issue, until he's not pursuing the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Reilly - I'm not sure he's really available. I don't think he leaves BC, unless they decide they really don't want him. I bet they keep him but on a lower salary. I believe he retires unless he gets an opportunity to go to a contender and I don't think the Bombers are interested.

BLM - Will his arm really heal? If the Stamps are concerned, I bet they trade him and re-sign Maier. 

Maier - He's probably in line to start somewhere next year but he better find the right fit. 

Yukon Cornelius - Depends on who comes in but I doubt he stays in the CFL. Did he show enough? Or did he show too much? 

Arbuckle - Already extended but a new GM may have another perspective. Could be available to bounce and not start at yet another team. 

Cody - Bleeds green, which is a huge health issue, BTW. I can't see them paying him $515k when they can get someone for less. 

MBT - I think the Argos look to replace him again this offseason but still keep him around to compete.

Adams - staying.

Harris - will be released. I wonder where he lands. I could see him going to BC, if the opportunity arises or Saskatchewan, if he's willing to start the season as a back-up.

I think Maier will be Calgary's starter next season and a long shot is BLM starting for Hamilton next season.

Just now, Nolby said:

I think Maier will be Calgary's starter next season and a long shot is BLM starting for Hamilton next season.

I thought for a long time that BLM would end up in Toronto. I'm not sure now given that Dickenson didn't make a change when it was clear that BLM could only throw Fajardos during the season. 

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

Adams - staying.

Honestly, when you think about it, the only teams that seem to have their starters written in pen are Winnipeg and Saskatchewan.

Although I expect BC, Calgary, and Hamilton (Masoli) to keep the status quo. 

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I’m hoping we can snag a veteran QB in the off season. If ZC goes down we won’t be playing the big game in Regina.

I don't think we can. We can't afford a vet back-up given our salary pressures. I think we just have to rely on being able to get someone in-season, if that happens. 

If we were to lose ZC to either retirement/free agency...which I highly doubt in both regards, I would hope we be all over Reilly...I'm sure we will have our oline intact...with depth again, and him being able to sit in the comfy spot...move around if need be....he'd rip may a team a new arse.....prob put up numbers that make Zack's look pedestrian (No offence to Zack) 

He would be the perfect stop gap in that case to actually have that back to back to back repeat

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

If we were to lose ZC to either retirement/free agency...which I highly doubt in both regards, I would hope we be all over Reilly...I'm sure we will have our oline intact...with depth again, and him being able to sit in the comfy spot...move around if need be....he'd rip may a team a new arse.....prob put up numbers that make Zack's look pedestrian (No offence to Zack) 

He would be the perfect stop gap in that case to actually have that back to back to back repeat

Yes, which I why I put that qualifier in there. I think we're the only place he would go, if he needed a home and was made an offer. Basically, take a heavy discount knowing that you have a legit shot at another ring. I don't think he goes anywhere else and would just retire if BC moved on. 

32 minutes ago, JCon said:

Adams - staying.

For 550 k its not that the Riders could pay less it’s they could get a whole lot more imo for that type of money than CF and his green blood. More as in talent.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

For 550 k its not that the Riders could pay less it’s they could get a whole lot more imo for that type of money than CF and his green blood. More as in talent.

Which is why I think they restructure. He's not worth it based on production. But, if he takes a haircut, they could add some pieces and still make it work. They're not going to rebuild this offseason, so I think they're stuck with him being their opening day starter.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Which is why I think they restructure. He's not worth it based on production. But, if he takes a haircut, they could add some pieces and still make it work. They're not going to rebuild this offseason, so I think they're stuck with him being their opening day starter.

Yup we will see how green his blood is when those talks happen. 

Just now, rebusrankin said:

How much do you think Cody is willing to give up? Say he gives up $150,000 and goes to $365,000, that's what one impact player? Personally I hope they pay him the $515,000 and Duke Williams gets $200,000.

I guess it depends how far over the line the Riders are prepared to go. But, $50k would even give you an opportunity to attract a few players by giving them $10k-$15k over what they would get elsewhere. 

I was thinking that Richie Hall would get a look at the HC job in Edmonton, given the ludicrous D he's coached up for us.  Then I remembered he's already been fired as a head coach in Edmonton, tho that was a decade ago. 

I suspect Ottawa is too cheap to pay Lapo to sit on his couch so they'll wait and then fire him in a panicky midseason move next year.

Edited by johnzo

for some reason I dont see FJ taking that kind of shave, as he believes his own hype...I hope he stays at what he's owed..they dump too much on Williams...who isnt gonna make them a difference maker, as FAJ isnt the guy to take advantage of him, plus he doesn't seem like what he was, and will have zip for support around him, so can be nuetralized easily.....oh yeah...and they still have no oline, and a shitty coordinator

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Those assholes will spend as much over the cap as they feel they need. 

thing is tho.....u also need to be a destination that a player wants to go to, and I know from experience going there...is kind of a bummer to players outside of the actually game

The B.C. Lions have made big moves along the offensive line, striking deals with five Canadian offensive linemen. David Knevel and Andrew Peirson were re-signed, while Matt Guevremont, Tyler Packer, and Jesse Lawson inked new deals.

I will laugh if the Lions have to pay Chungh a premium because he was an All-Star in his next deal.