GDT: Game 28 vs. the Buffalo Sabres

blue_gold_84

Something is stale with this team. They look so uninspired again last night against a bottom feeder.

Whoever thought this team was a contender was fooling themselves. They're a middling team at best with below average special teams. It's troubling to wonder where this team would be without Hellebuyck.

35 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Something is stale with this team. They look so uninspired again last night against a bottom feeder.

Whoever thought this team was a contender was fooling themselves. They're a middling team at best with below average special teams. It's troubling to wonder where this team would be without Hellebuyck.

Their whole approach is stale and that is coaching.  A change is needed and I think pretty much everyone sees it now.  I like Maurice and I’ll be sad to see him go, but his removal is long overdue.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Both Oilers and Jets so shitty, I can't even be bothered to watch anymore unless there's absolutely nothing on. Last night I chose to binge Succession eps (finally into S3) instead of watch hockey....watching all the losing is just boring for me. 

Agreed.  I am sad that CFL football is done.   I'll watch the odd NFL game, but I am not excited about this lacklustre NHL team we have.   

Just now, captaincanuck12 said:

Agreed.  I am sad that CFL football is done.   I'll watch the odd NFL game, but I am not excited about this lacklustre NHL team we have.   

A win last night would have put us ahead of EDM for WC2. Think its bad here? Same for EDM. Wacky season.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Honest to God, I wish the Manitoba Scotties was televised, 'cause I'd watch that before losing hockey...

National Scotties/Briar never worth watching during an Oly year. Should send those champs to Olys instead of this years-long points competition where curlers get 'training' money. What is it $500 a month for up to 2 years?

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Both Oilers and Jets so shitty, I can't even be bothered to watch anymore unless there's absolutely nothing on. Last night I chose to binge Succession eps (finally into S3) instead of watch hockey....watching all the losing is just boring for me. 

If it's any consolation, the Oilers trending downwards helps me cope with our current Jets predicament. 🙂

10 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Well deserved after last night's performance.

Little too late? I don't seem to have that same air of confidence watching the Jets as I have watching the Bombers when the chips are down. 

Maybe an unfair comparison because its different sports but man Jets are stuck in neutral right now.

I seriously question Chevy's mindset right now.  He looks at what we have on paper, and we should be playing much better than we are.   So who's responsible for the players performance?  I've run out of excuses to defend Maurice.   I think we've hit our ceiling with him as the coach. 

I also know that the special teams coach is in California right now tending to his sick wife... that's noble and all... but clearly the way they are performing has been impacted.   Find a coach who is here and can work with the players and fix the mistakes.  Remote learning only takes you so far.  When the coach is ready to return, give him back his job.

Anyways they have another 3 days between games, so I expect them to stink the joint against the Caps on Friday.

Just now, JCon said:

It's either we have the wrong players and that's on Chevy, so he should be fired. 

Or, we have bad coaching and that's on Chevy, so he should fire them. 

It could also be both the players and the coaches. Leaders on this roster haven't really stepped up (Scheifele and Connor were pretty meh on Tuesday) despite the team's recent struggles. At the same time, the coaches haven't addressed the glaring issues (special teams, defensive zone play) hindering the team.

Something's gotta give here. And that's ultimately on the GM to figure out and decide. This mediocrity can't continue.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It could also be both the players and the coaches. Leaders on this roster haven't really stepped up (Scheifele and Connor were pretty meh on Tuesday) despite the team's recent struggles. At the same time, the coaches haven't addressed the glaring issues (special teams, defensive zone play) hindering the team.

Something's gotta give here. And that's ultimately on the GM to figure out and decide. This mediocrity can't continue.

Clean house. I'm not sure what you do about coaching and who would be available, so you may just have to suffer through the season with Chevy and Pomo driving the truck (off a cliff).