Thanks for the 2021 Season BB and MBB

BaconNBigBlue

I started out on our bombers as a 12 year old back in the early 2000’s. Found this place in 2012 as a young adult. Probably went years where I either just browsed or posted seldomly. I recognize a lot of the old usernames from the old site, a lot of great new posters from this site. I’m now 30 years old and me and my girl friend bought our first house together last year and I think I’ve had to sacrifice some of the things such as going out to watch the game, or going to all the games, so I’ve really grown accustomed to watching the game at home and having a beverage, with MBB in the background so I can chat with you guys. It’s a hell of a journey and a great community to be a part of!

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

I would like to thank my grandfather that held me on his knee when the bombers only played on the radio. My dad for using me as a remote control to change the channels to football on tv. We only had 2 English channels. My mom for preparing popcorn for games. Without the nurturing, I never would have been a Bomber fan. All the other Bomber fans that supported each another through the Lunsford, Spavital, Bud Riley, Joe Zaleski, years. 

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

I would like to thank my grandfather that held me on his knee when the bombers only played on the radio. My dad for using me as a remote control to change the channels to football on tv. We only had 2 English channels. My mom for preparing popcorn for games. Without the nurturing, I never would have been a Bomber fan. All the other Bomber fans that supported each another through the Lunsford, Spavital, Bud Riley, Joe Zaleski, years. 

Yes - we had CBC, CTV, CKND and French CBC.  That was it.  And yes, we were used as remote controls as well, but hey there was Old Dutch chips and dip!

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yes - we had CBC, CTV, CKND and French CBC.  That was it.  And yes, we were used as remote controls as well, but hey there was Old Dutch chips and dip!

Back then, CKND was KCND and you needed an antenna to get that channel. We didn’t have an antenna, but the neighbour had and I was jealous that he got to watch “Rat Patrol” on KCND. Chips were expensive, but boy I loved ‘em. Another bud took his chip wrappers to “Kid’s Bid’s” for some loot! Cactus Jack never had far to go after a bomber game or after work to get gunned at The Paddock. Him, stew McPherson and Ray Torgurd were regulars. Torgurd smashed his vehicle on Ness after leaving the Paddock one night and when he finally got back to work he was named scar head from splitting his coconut while hammered. The Bombers were Gods back then. Especially Kenny Ploen and Bud Grant. Hopefully the kids now can look up to the Bomber stars and use them as excellent role models. 
honestly, the best role model on the Bombers right now might be Bighill. He’s a gem on and off the field.  I’m sure others deserve and will take the role as well. These are special times. Legendary times. 

Edited by Rod Black

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

Back then, CKND was KCND and you needed an antenna to get that channel. We didn’t have an antenna, but the neighbour had and I was jealous that he got to watch “Rat Patrol” on KCND. Chips were expensive, but boy I loved ‘em. Another bud took his chip wrappers to “Kid’s Bid’s” for some loot! Cactus Jack never had far to go after a bomber game or after work to get gunned at The Paddock. Him, stew McPherson and Ray Torgurd were regulars. Torgurd smashed his vehicle on Ness after leaving the Paddock one night and when he finally got back to work he was named scar head from splitting his coconut while hammered. The Bombers were Gods back then. Especially Kenny Ploen and Bud Grant. Hopefully the kids now can look up to the Bomber stars and use them as excellent role models. 
honestly, the best role model on the Bombers right now might be Bighill. He’s a gem on and off the field.  I’m sure others deserve and will take the role as well. These are special times. Legendary times. 

we were able to get CKND on our rabbit ears on the TV, but we also weren't that far away from Winnipeg.  The only reasons to watch CKND in 1980 was Fantasy Island on Saturday night and also CKND had the broadcast rights to the Jets in their first year in the NHL.  Brian Swain doing the play by play and Pit Martin on colour.  

It’s fun to reminisce

I think I started posting on OB when I was … 13? Crazy to think how it shapes your life.

I’m 32 now, married to a former Bomber cheerleader I only ever met because of the Bombers. We had mutual friends and were all gathering for a lake weekend 9 years ago. My obsession with the Bombers meant I was the guy not driving out to Kenora until after the Friday night home game, she was the girl who had never been there before and didn’t want to make the drive out after the game alone through the night. We bought a house together less than a year and a half later.

I made friends with a poster on OB after asking questions about the Labour Day bus tours. 11 years later, we’ve gone to every single one since together. We’ve gone on trips to Florida, Arizona, Minnesota, countless trips to Fargo and I could go on and on. We crashed at our friends house together to be there in the stands to see the Grey Cup win in Calgary. He was one of my groomsmen on my wedding day. We crush beers almost every weekend. Not only that - he’s also married now and met his wife on OB.

Who knew becoming obsessed with getting into arguments with Morris Bay at the age of 15 would have such an impact on the rest of my life.

Where the hell is SPuDS

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

It’s fun to reminisce

I think I started posting on OB when I was … 13? Crazy to think how it shapes your life.

I’m 32 now, married to a former Bomber cheerleader I only ever met because of the Bombers. We had mutual friends and were all gathering for a lake weekend 9 years ago. My obsession with the Bombers meant I was the guy not driving out to Kenora until after the Friday night home game, she was the girl who had never been there before and didn’t want to make the drive out after the game alone through the night. We bought a house together less than a year and a half later.

I made friends with a poster on OB after asking questions about the Labour Day bus tours. 11 years later, we’ve gone to every single one since together. We’ve gone on trips to Florida, Arizona, Minnesota, countless trips to Fargo and I could go on and on. We crashed at our friends house together to be there in the stands to see the Grey Cup win in Calgary. He was one of my groomsmen on my wedding day. We crush beers almost every weekend. Not only that - he’s also married now and met his wife on OB.

Who knew becoming obsessed with getting into arguments with Morris Bay at the age of 15 would have such an impact on the rest of my life.

Where the hell is SPuDS

Ha! Similar journey man! We were probably too young to be on forums at the time but I think I held my own in arguments. Had a family of pretty damn good coaches and well played provincial ball myself. This two peat is so special because of what we’ve had to go through. A lot of awful teams, a lot of hopefully training camps; a lot of thinking if I would ever get a grey cup in my life time. Really hoping someone has some info on SPuDS he was a great poster!

9 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Any other legendary posters we can remember that aren’t around here anymore? Feeling nostalgic!

Don’t know about legendary, but jetkou was memorable, if for nothing else other than his posts that were almost not readable due to the spelling errors. I understood that he was almost blind and had to lean in real close to the computer, hence all the wrongly spelled words. Even his handle was misspelled, it was supposed to be JetQue because he was a Nordiques fan IIRC. 

Morris a.k.a. Nasty Nate a.k.a. Lyle E Style was a real character. Had some unwavering opinions on Lyle Bauer that basically ate him up inside. 

Lots of personalities then and now, and lots of good talk and strong opinions and debate here. Can get heated at times, but it is all in good fun (I hope!). Fantastic place to come and engage, thanks to all who contribute and keep it lively, I appreciate it greatly as well. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Morris a.k.a. Nasty a.k.a. Lyle E Style was a real character. Had some unwavering opinions on Lyle Bauer that basically ate him up inside. 

Lots of personalities then and now, and lots of good talk and strong opinions and debate here. Can get heated at times, but it is all in good fun (I hope!). Fantastic place to come and engage, thanks to all who contribute and keep it lively, I appreciate it greatly as well. 

Well it was great fun with regard to Lyle (Morris of Osborne St.), until the other Lyle (Bauer) threatened to physically acost him and punch his lights out......Whatever happened to Morris (Lyle) anyway.....He seems to have fallen off the map....or did Bauer scare him out of the province