2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I'm not saying you're wrong, but there's absolutely no way to know. 

3DN has us as the 2nd tightest team against the cap, but it doesnt matter pre final cut down. And where as some teams have crazy stupid contracts that will leave them tight, we will cut a ton of guys and have a good bit of room to be in on the likes of dobson, desjarlais etc. 

I have no doubt that we could make strevvy work if hes a reasonable priced back up. Itll cost us depth and maybe a possible nfl returnee or two. But to date that's always some thing you can make work in season. And this team is very good at budgeting money on the back end and saving cash as needed. 

Gotta remember that by the time the CBA is signed and NFL camps are over teams could be looking at big contracts on the 6 game and less than a full season of strevy contract. Which makes fitting him much easier. 

The question is the price on strevy. If he's in the 100k range, I'd take him all day every day. 200k range is tougher, but I'd still take him on the lower end of that. If its 300k+, and he could possibly get that, I think that's a real hard sell. I think at that point buck and the mafia have to take a good hard look at him and consider if he's improved and if they want to deploy him in a package, and if he is ready to stay long term. 

I think we could see a lot of wild cards jumping in on strevy too. 

Tor will spend the rest of the leagues money like mad. They don't have depth and aren't sold on MBT. They have a great offensive qb coach HC running the show and some real good weapons. 

Ott would be a dark horse, but if last season taught plop and co any thing its that QB depth is critical. He has ties, but would be the worst fit in the league for strevy imo. 

Edm has been throwing every thing and the kitchen sink at qbs, and especially athletic dual threat qbs. 

BC, yeah yeah they are going NI. Until they aren't. They don't have the fan base for a lengthy rebuild and the new owner will want to make an impact asap. Rourke would also be a great guy to back up strevy as he has a similar package. 

Ham is one injury away from being a 5 win team at best. Ssk too, and the public leash on fajardo is getting shorty and shorty. I don't see cal jumping in but if blm is as done as he seems they are 1 injury away too. And maybe maier doesn't take as big a step as they need. 

For us prukop brings a lot of what strevy brings for dirt cheap. But our no3 + depth is awful. Brown looked like he belongs on a d3 team as the equipment manager. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

if you have an opportunity to bring in a weapon like Chris Streveler, you do whatever takes. Period. I'm not saying he's coming back to Canada or to Winnipeg, but if you have the CHANCE, you do everything you can.

No you don’t.

-Doing whatever it takes should not include paying him over $200K to be a back-up. We saw what investing $750k in QBs did to BC, I’d rather have a balanced team where we have money to build a solid o-line, some good depth receivers, and pay our ratio-busting running backs. 

-Doing whatever it takes should not mean replacing the league MVP to let him be a starter 

-Doing whatever it takes does not include breaking the bank for a guy who still hasn’t proven himself to be an effective passing QB or a consistent winner when he starts. The book on Streveler when he was the full-time starter was load the box and spy him, anticipating the run on most plays and forcing him to beat you with his arm. As a spot-duty back-up teams would not dedicate as much practice time to defending against him on the odd play. But his win-loss record as a starter showed that teams had him more contained once he was the only focus in a game. And there is no evidence his stint in the NFL transformed him into a better passer or reader of the secondary.

-make it work if you can since it is a nice story and will sell tickets in this town if he is back, but don’t do whatever it takes and sacrifice more key areas of the team because we crave a beer-guzzling, fur coat wearing personality who is a fun guy to have in the locker room. We have the league MVP, QB is not the area to “do whatever it takes” to bring in a back-up. 

JMO, but I admit I am biased because I don’t have a non-sexual man-crush on him like I’m George Constanza going rock-climbing with pretty-boy Tony. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

No you don’t.

-Doing whatever it takes should not include paying him over $200K to be a back-up. We saw what investing $750k in QBs did to BC, I’d rather have a balanced team where we have money to build a solid o-line, some good depth receivers, and pay our ratio-busting running backs. 

-Doing whatever it takes should not mean replacing the league MVP to let him be a starter 

-Doing whatever it takes does not include breaking the bank for a guy who still hasn’t proven himself to be an effective passing QB or a consistent winner when he starts. The book on Streveler when he was the full-time starter was load the box and spy him, anticipating the run on most plays and forcing him to beat you with his arm. As a spot-duty back-up teams would not dedicate as much practice time to defending against him on the odd play. But his win-loss record as a starter showed that teams had him more contained once he was the only focus in a game. And there is no evidence his stint in the NFL transformed him into a better passer or reader of the secondary.

-make it work if you can since it is a nice story and will sell tickets in this town if he is back, but don’t do whatever it takes and sacrifice more key areas of the team because we crave a beer-guzzling, fur coat wearing personality who is a fun guy to have in the locker room. We have the league MVP, QB is not the area to “do whatever it takes” to bring in a back-up. 

JMO, but I admit I am biased because I don’t have a non-sexual man-crush on him like I’m George Constanza going rock-climbing with pretty-boy Tony. 

Streveler was a critical part of our team while he was there and there is no denying his warrior mentality, but the salary cap is the salary cap. Realistically, Collaros will take 95% of the snaps anyways, and I am intrigued to see what Procop brings to the team. He seems to have the physical tools and the smarts.

10 hours ago, itchy said:

I think Strev's value goes up with the new rules given his skill set and receiving experience.

I think he'd have to take a bit of a discount to come back, but certainly hope he does.

Almost like a hybrid tightend/running back/qb lol. Playbook could be wild with him now.

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

I did spend three years  in the Saskatchewan education system. 

And then came to Winnipeg for grades two through twelve?

I kid! I kid! Actually, that would be the accelerated program for grade one graduation in Riderville. Anything under 5 years and you get a “my kid is an honour student” bumper sticker for your tractor. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

On 2022-05-18 at 6:47 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

No you don’t.

Except for your last paragraph that seems to be a shot at some posters here regarding Man Love about Streveler, I agree with the other stuff. The Bombers don't need to do whatever it takes to bring him back.

We won a GC without him last year. This isn't the same offense he played in during 2019. It's more passing downfield & attack. Not spread out the defense throwing checkdowns & running for first downs.

Can Streveler even play in an offense that throws the ball more? He hasn't shown he can be an effective starter. I don't want us overspending for a guy who'll not come cheap & can't throw. Not happy with Dru Brown either. Some decent qbs will be let go in Edmonton. Maybe one of them ends up here.

Edited by SpeedFlex27