2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

9 hours ago, BBlink said:

Did you forget about Prukop? 

https://www.bluebombers.com/players/dakota-prukop-2/159945/

"In eight games last season with the Elks, Prukop completed 18 of 26 passes for 183 yards with one TD and two interceptions while rushing 27 times for 134 yards and two scores. He had started the season in training camp with the Calgary Stampeders after signing with that club in 2020, but was released at the end of July. Prukop has dressed for 49 regular-season games in his career with Edmonton and the Toronto Argonauts, completing 36 of 56 passes for 467 yards with four touchdowns and four interceptions while rushing 38 times for 173 yards and two touchdowns."

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/02/19/tait-timing-syncs-prukop-bombers/

Ed Tait: "

Prukop’s experience – he has 49 regular-season CFL games to his name in Toronto and Edmonton over five years – means he likely slides into the No. 2 spot on the depth chart behind Collaros, the league’s all-star pivot and Most Outstanding Player, with Sean McGuire telling Bombers management he was moving on from the game. He became expendable in Edmonton with new Elks boss Chris Jones stockpiling quarterbacks in what he hopes is a rebuild in Northern Alberta. Prukop’s passing numbers are modest – 36 for 56 for 467 yards with four TDs and four interceptions – but it’s his adaptability and his athleticism that continues to intrigue offensive coordinators across the league."

So Dakota  sounds very promising. But he is not the "fallen vet" that can some how pick up the pace should Zach go down for a few.

I am pretty sure Collaros won't play all 18 this year.

1 hour ago, ddanger said:

I think this whole maximum pay issue of 54k for a global player is an embarrassment to the entire league.  

So I did not realize that the International designation is no more with the Global addition. It’s now National, American, and Global, so no chance to switch Hansen to International and bring in a new minimum salary Global. So yes, they should scrap the low cap.  

On 2022-04-24 at 4:43 AM, BigBlue said:

when I look at the roster now plus a couple of US recruits likely to make the club, our roster might actually be stronger this year than last. We do have guys who have been biding their time and are ready to go: RB, G, REC, on O: D by contrast  has just lost 2 or 3 very good players but will be covered off by the rotational players from last year - - then think of the guys trying to get off the practice roster; they have had  extreme tutors to direct their high potential

Some how recently each year we keep adding a couple of out standing rookies (thank you Danny McManus). The press has their eyes on what they can see, the past; the coaches know what they have been developing on the bench and especially the practice roster.

My only concern: just 2 QBs on the roster... Dru Brown gives me no comfort no matter how management rants and raves about his talent. I would like to see a fallen star QB come here for rejuvenation... how much would that cost?

https://www.cfl.ca/players/ 

I as well like the makeup of roster, and truly don't see us missing a beat. Harris was basically a part timer last year, and we did just fine, he had a big game against Sask in playoffs, but at his age, and declining durability those kinda games are going to be more the exception, than the norm....Our oline, returning players on offence and continuity from coaches down won't allow us to falter. Lawler was a stud, but also a 1 yr flash so far, Ellingson will more than replace what he brought (dude has a highlight reel of unreal catches too in case anyone forgot) and is familiar and has history with Zach, and I bet will be more consistent game in and game out....Bailey and Demski will keep developing and be better and this crop of new guys, along with Grant being back is a group that has me more intrigued/excited than any yr in a long time.

Prukopp be no means a proven veteran, but he has shown he can move a offence, has experience, and I can see being a better fit in what we do here, moreso than McGuire did....tho loved McGuires arm and poise, but that wasnt a pre-requisite of what we do here, so I think that why he kinda just flamed out.

Defensively, I think we again be just fine...Full yr of Wilson/Biggie/Maston already has us ahead of the ball even with Stove missing, but Sayles I see as a breakout star this year, and finding a gap filling DT to rotate in for 30% snaps isnt a tough thing to do...the loss that stings most is Kongbo and the rotation aspect we can do with him, and if he finally just commits to CFL he can be a beast, and ratio plus...I dont see him sticking down south, and if/when he is released, I bet this is where he comes back to....BA will be a loss till he back, but we have guys on roster now that seem to be a fit, maybe we tweak ratio a bit and go canadian there till he back, but with Rose, Taylor, Nichols and Glass here...all proven starters, and guys like Houston, and Miller back, both with full yr in our system, and some starts, and again...another strong solid group being brought in to compete...we ahead of where we were already from last year...and Free Agency/Draft hasnt even happened

And when I look at a defense with the Jeff's...Biggie...Wilson...Rose, Maston  and Nichols running around out there, I'm not to concerned with whom we surround them with...especially when it woill be guys like Sayles, Taylor, Thomas, Glass and whoever wins a spot...we hitting ground running for sure this yr

https://3downnation.com/2022/04/25/bombers-no-longer-requiring-proof-of-covid-19-vaccination-for-fans-attending-games-at-ig-field/

Effective May 1, 2022, the Winnipeg Football Club will no longer require fans to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination to attend Blue Bombers games at IG Field. 

The change in protocol will also apply to events held at IG Field unless the event has its own protocols that differ from the club’s protocols while all policies and procedures will remain subject to change.

13 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

https://3downnation.com/2022/04/25/bombers-no-longer-requiring-proof-of-covid-19-vaccination-for-fans-attending-games-at-ig-field/

Effective May 1, 2022, the Winnipeg Football Club will no longer require fans to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination to attend Blue Bombers games at IG Field. 

There's a study out showing that unvaxxed individuals are less likely to get covid when surrounded by vaxxed folks but vaxxed folks are more likely to get covid if surrounded by unvaxed people. So, I dunno about this one honestly. Vaxxed ppl however less likely to get severe sickness or death while unvaxxed ppl more like to be hospitalized or die. 

I guess at this time if you ain't vaxxed and going out to games, well, you should be aware of the consequences but unvaxxed ppl don't care about consequences.  What could go wrong. I mean they drew full houses last year and you had to be vaxxed to go so not sure I'm a fan of this or not. I am vaxxed but certainly wouldn't feel overly comfortable sitting by a raging screaming unvaxxed drunk 

I feel they may experience some backlash here from ppl who take their younger kids to games. 

Edited by Goalie

The question was asked aloud quite often, how long until we just go back to the way it was before? As early as May 1 is apparently the answer.

Unless something changes between now and 8pm I finally get to see my first live rock show since the before-fore times, but I wouldn't be going if proof of vax wasn't required. I'm ready for things to open back up but requiring proof of vax at the door (and then actually enforcing it) is playing a big role in how and where I spend my money.

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

There's a study out showing that unvaxxed individuals are less likely to get covid when surrounded by vaxxed folks but vaxxed folks are more likely to get covid if surrounded by unvaxed people. So, I dunno about this one honestly. Vaxxed ppl however less likely to get severe sickness or death while unvaxxed ppl more like to be hospitalized or die. 

I guess at this time if you ain't vaxxed and going out to games, well, you should be aware of the consequences but unvaxxed ppl don't care about consequences.  What could go wrong. I mean they drew full houses last year and you had to be vaxxed to go so not sure I'm a fan of this or not. I am vaxxed but certainly wouldn't feel overly comfortable sitting by a raging screaming unvaxxed drunk 

I trust, as I have all along, Dr. Roussin and his team and the proof of vax policies they put in place.

9 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

The question was asked aloud quite often, how long until we just go back to the way it was before? As early as May 1 is apparently the answer.

Unless something changes between now and 8pm I finally get to see my first live rock show since the before-fore times, but I wouldn't be going if proof of vax wasn't required. I'm ready for things to open back up but requiring proof of vax at the door (and then actually enforcing it) is playing a big role in how and where I spend my money.

Entirely up to you. It is a personal choice and one that only you can make for yourself. However, currently restrictions are lifted so it is important that we all continue to respect everyone else's choices they make based on the advice of public health.

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Naive aren't you. 

Not at all. I think it would be immensely hypocritical to support past restrictions and vaccine advice given by public health and then to not support public health when they feel restrictions should be lifted. My opinion. You are entitled to yours, but make no mistake naivety is not at play.

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Naive aren't you. Bought and paid for 

What is wrong with you? A person can have a different opinion than you can they not or are you special? It's this kind of idiocy that only serves to polarize people and entrench the anti vaxxers.

Edited by GCn20

49 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I feel they may experience some backlash here from ppl who take their younger kids to games. 

I think people are vastly over estimating the amount of unvaxxed people that will be going to games. The vaxxed who went last year and took up the vast majority of seats (I believe there was only 2 sell outs) will still be going to games this year. Sure there will be some unvaxxed, but the majority will be vaxxed.

23 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Has been re-set for April 28 at 6:00 pm at IG Field. Check your e-mail to see if you got a registration request to attend. 

They should just scrap the fan event and unveil the jersey.  It went from an indoor event with Grey Cup/Player pictures to sitting outdoors in the rain to watch see the jersey and watch a video.  With the weather we've had and more rain expected for the 28th - no thanks!

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed defensive tackle Kenneth Randall.

The six-foot-two, 302-pound Randall played his NCAA career at the University of Charleston with the Golden Eagles. He earned first-team All-Mountain East Conference honours in 2019 and finished his collegiate career with 64 tackles, seven sacks and two forced fumbles. 

Randall signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2021 as an undrafted NFL free agent and attended the team’s training camp.

The Blue Bombers also signed offensive lineman Leon Johnson.

The six-foot-five, 332-pound Johnson spent four years at Temple University with the Owls. He made 10 starts at left tackle during his senior season including the season-opener against Notre Dame in which he served as one of the team captains. Johnson started 14 games at right tackle during his junior year.

Prior to signing with Winnipeg, Johnson signed with the Denver Broncos as an undrafted NFL free agent in 2018 and attended the team’s training camp. He signed with the Salt Lake Stallions of the Alliance of American Football for the 2019 season. Johnson would later go on to sign with the Calgary Stampeders in 2020 and saw action with one start in 2021.

Randall is a guy who could eventually fill the role left by stove. Similar extreme physical talent in a nose prospect, stove has a much higher football IQ and top tier drive to improve. That said, for a guy to miss 2 years of ncaa football due to academic issues, over come that and come back more dominant than ever says a lot about his work ethic and character. 

The bombers scout DTs extremely well. Randall might be raw but he could be a real gem.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kenny-randall/32005241-4e08-2192-6dba-6a4dfb6f5379

Johnson is an extremely talented guy who had some injury issues. He also has tons and tons of heart. He played both ways a bunch as a senior. 

Hey fellas, found this book on amazon, just came out in January. Its called Border Boys and its basically a historical look at football in general but mostly focusses on the American players that lived close to Canada that came up north in the 30's and helped change our game. Specifically about the first time the Grey Cup was won by a western team(Winnipeg in 1935). Its written by a North Dakotan (Ryan Christiansen). I just got into it but it really seems like he's done his research. Thought you all might find it interesting.

Thats Fritz Hanson on the cover who essentially became the first true Winnipeg Blue Bomber star back in the 30's. He pretty much single handedly won us the 1935 Grey Cup from what ive read(334 punt return yards in the game which is still a Grey Cup record). My late grandmother would often speak of his exploits 🙂

Border Boys: Christiansen, R. C.: 9798799110949: Books - Amazon.ca

Edited by Bubba Zanetti