2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

Has Hansen signed...or still considering life after football...cause he training like he looks like he's still playing

Hasn't he said he's not coming back under the global tag?

New CBA might change things to allow us to sign him at a raise, though.

6 hours ago, Booch said:

Even without the recent signings...we weren't gonna miss Lawler....or Harris for that matter...miss seeing them and that familiarity...but production wise...good bet we will be more prolific as a whole this yr

If we have a lethal air attack, it ought to open up the running game for Brady et al, so if it takes a game or two for him/them to get going, all will be well.

I like the looks of our recieving core more than last yr to be honest...especially with some of the guys we brought in new..Jackson being back and now Saunders...if he fully back to what he was..that's huge...and now with Grant...who I hope we mix in a bit more now in his 3rd yr here...we are looking good behind that online...and the 1-2 combo of BO and JA...easily will get us 1200 yards minimum combined in the ground game...Buck's second yr owning the offence too us gonna loom large too...I see us putting up league leading scoring numbers....and we know the defense will be top 1 or 2 in league giving up points ...3 peat totally in our grasp if we dont get nailed with multiple "key" injuries...I say key as we have great depth for most part...which was proven last yr...but we didn't lose vital guys for extended time...that of course will hurt any team...but we know we have the backups for the most part to carry us through...

25 minutes ago, BBlink said:

The only thing I'm worried about is losing Kongbo, Dejarlais and Eli and then Dobson going to the USFL. We have taken a hit on our Canadian depth.

Kongbo may yet return. The NFL is a tough nut to crack and he has already tried. He was not a dominant force on the line anyways

Regarding Saunders ...just read an article on him and his injury .....he was having a helluva season with the Cats up to that point.....He was also in a car accident....and the story had a big question mark beside the heading 'accident'....Don't know what that's supposed to mean....was it serious or a whatever??....In any case if he's totally recovered he would be a very nice addition after watching his hi-lites with the Cats....This could be a fantastic addition to a receiving corps that got hit with a few departures....

34 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Regarding Saunders ...just read an article on him and his injury .....he was having a helluva season with the Cats up to that point.....He was also in a car accident....and the story had a big question mark beside the heading 'accident'....Don't know what that's supposed to mean....was it serious or a whatever??....In any case if he's totally recovered he would be a very nice addition after watching his hi-lites with the Cats....This could be a fantastic addition to a receiving corps that got hit with a few departures....

Spinal and joint injuries are the most problematic in rehab, so we will see. Presumably, the Bombers will have checked this out.

Edit: after the MVA, he was on a respirator. That is serious stuff, so I hope the Bombers take all necessary care with him- football is for only a while but life does go on afterwards.

Edited by Tracker

So some interesting stuff about Saunders. He has not played football in 3.5 years. His last game was the 2018 Labour Day game in Hamilton, where he tore up his knee (ACL). He was signed up for 2019 by the Tiger-Cats but was cut in training camp when his recovery was set to take longer get than expected. He was signed by Houston of the XFL to start 2020  but placed on injured reserve right away and his contract suspended when the league folded.  Ottawa signed him in 2020 before the season was cancelled by the pandemic. Was re-signed for 2021 before his June car accident led him to retire. 

Here are some pics of the accident (not meant to be ghoulish or sensationalistic here, they come from Saunders’ own Instagram post - did he take these himself after the accident? Seems unlikely but someone must have with a camera he had access to). 

IMG-4463.jpg

IMG-4464.jpg

Not many more details about this crash, however this was not his first car accident as a football player. As a rookie with the New York Jets in 2014, he was in a single vehicle accident after suffering a seizure at the wheel. He bounced around NFL practice rosters for a couple of years before being suspended in 2016 for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. 

Long and winding road for him to get back to the game this year. Would make a nice “comeback player of the year” story if he could return to some of those numbers he was churning out before his injuries. I wish him well however it turns out. 

On 2022-04-15 at 1:00 PM, Booch said:

Has Hansen signed...or still considering life after football...cause he training like he looks like he's still playing

Waiting for changes in the CBA.

On 2022-04-15 at 1:30 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

With Saunders signing we won't miss Kenny Lawler. We don't rebuild. We reload. Love it. To me, this is the missing piece to give us the best receiving corps in the CFL. 

If we get 2018 Jalen it's a big signing. I am not overly optimistic but i am hopeful.

5 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Between Saunders, Blake Jackson, Lucky Jackson, Antonio Nunn, Dalton Schoen and TJ Simmons, I feel like we get at least one really good wr.

Agudosi as well....was kept around all yr and brought back for a reason...if the hashes are moved and while field is being used who wouldn't want a big strong 6'6" guy out on the outside?

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Agudosi as well....was kept around all yr and brought back for a reason...if the hashes are moved and while field is being used who wouldn't want a big strong 6'6" guy out on the outside?

Yea..i think Adugosi is flying under the radar a bit. Bombers really like him he was just very raw. If he has worked hard on polishing his game he could be a factor.

12 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yea..i think Adugosi is flying under the radar a bit. Bombers really like him he was just very raw. If he has worked hard on polishing his game he could be a factor.

Potential carries a player for only so long. If he does not measure up this training camp, he will probably be done here.

On 2022-04-15 at 3:18 PM, Stickem said:

Hopefully this will be a Collarosesque type signing where he's been written off by some but (see two GC rings).

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Hopefully this will be a Collarosesque type signing where he's been written off by some but (see two GC rings).

Maybe..but his injuries are in many ways more physically hampering than Collaros's.

There was never any question about whether Collaros could play the game anymore, the question was/is for how long.

Saunders on otoh is the opposite. However, you are correct that both could be classified as reclamation projects of sorts. I just think Saunders will have a tougher time getting back to a high level.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

https://www.chrisd.ca/2022/04/18/winnipeg-blue-bombers-youth-football-equipment-donation/

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have donated $100,000 worth of equipment to youth football in the province.

The donation includes 220 new helmets for high school and women’s football programs.

CFL's Flagship Franchise does it again