2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Does anyone know - if the additional bye week was negotiated by the players' association? 

I believe the league having 9 teams is one of the reasons for the extra bye week. There's always going to be 1 team not playing. Randy said getting a tenth team would eliminate one bye week and help shorten the year overall.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Sure.  We would go to playoff games on the any day in November

The casual fan won't - that's the problem

You telling me there were no casual fans at the sold out December game last year?

1 hour ago, coach17 said:

Changing to metric was tried for a couple of seasons and found to be a very bad idea. 10 meters for a first down is almost 11 yards. Changing to 9 meters for a first down complicates the math. I kind of like the missed field goal going through the end zone = 0 points though. Might add more excitement to the kicking game.

When was metric tried? I've been watching CFL since before Canada went metric and I don't remember it. Searching CFL 'Metric' Field only gets discussions of the merit of idea.

100 Meters, 10 Meters for a first down. No complicated math. The .9 yard difference doesn't matter because both teams have to play by the same rules and everyone involved will get used to it pretty quickly, just like any other rule change.

19 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The point isn't for missing the field goal, the point is for kicking the ball through the endzone. 

I like the rouge purely for a quirky thing about the CFL. 

I think incentive to return missed fgs and try long attempts is good

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I think incentive to return missed fgs and try long attempts is good

So do I, but I don't think you should get a point for kicking the ball through the end zone. You don't get a point for kicking it through the end zone on a kickoff, why do you get one on a miss FG?

My idea is:

Make FG = 3.

Miss the FG and tackle returner in the end zone = 1.

Miss the FG and put it out the end zone without being touched = 0. (Match the Kick Off rule)

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Just go to playoffs is the cold. I have sat through some absolutely frigid temperatures. Just dress appropriately.  We're all Canadians here, we know how to dress for the elements... course I see people show up in a light jacket and jeans to cold weather games and they're miserable... guess some people refuse to put on the winter outfit.

Or bump the season up and have the buildings sold out without the issue of "hope" that fans will dress appropriately.  

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

You telling me there were no casual fans at the sold out December game last year?

The numbers have shown that attendances decline as the weather cools off.    It would be silly to use one example for one game for one team in one season.  

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

:) *waves at knuckle dragging cousin f***ers to the west*

in a reply to the above: 

Curious about "3 legged chair".....does he (and others?) believe that it was all a fluke? 

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Its you're as in you are, your indicates ownership of something. As in You are or You're jealous of Winnipeg, Reggie and your premise is incorrect, Reggie.

also, "Hommie" = "Homie", I do believe (tho I'm not up to date on that lingo...) 

22 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

When was metric tried? I've been watching CFL since before Canada went metric and I don't remember it. Searching CFL 'Metric' Field only gets discussions of the merit of idea.

100 Meters, 10 Meters for a first down. No complicated math. The .9 yard difference doesn't matter because both teams have to play by the same rules and everyone involved will get used to it pretty quickly, just like any other rule change.

Would make a difference along the lines as it would require DL to be even that much further back, however, I agree that otherwise the difference wouldn't even be noticed. However, I don't see the point in it either. Whether it's a 110 yard field or 100m field....it would just be changing for the sake of change and offering no upgrade to the game whatsoever.

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

in a reply to the above: 

Curious about "3 legged chair".....does he (and others?) believe that it was all a fluke? 

No I don't believe that is what he is saying at all. He's saying staying on top is tough....and he's not wrong.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Would make a difference along the lines as it would require DL to be even that much further back, however, I agree that otherwise the difference wouldn't even be noticed. However, I don't see the point in it either. Whether it's a 110 yard field or 100m field....it would just be changing for the sake of change and offering no upgrade to the game whatsoever.

No I don't believe that is what he is saying at all. He's saying staying on top is tough....and he's not wrong.

Huh, what a revelation.....🙄

On 2022-03-29 at 4:15 PM, TBURGESS said:

If we're going to change the field size it should be to 100 Meters. Uniquely Canadian. Still 110 yards. 

My personal rule change never gets brought up: Missed FG that goes through the endzone without being touched = zero points. Allows for missed FG's to be run back, but doesn't reward misses with a single point unless you can tackle the returner in the endzone.

IMO the CFL is going about this all wrong. The rules are great as is. Changing rules won't get more fans in the stands or more fans watching on TV & that's what the CFL needs.

Funny, I was going to say almost this exact same thing... except my one caveat would be that it only applies after the 3 min warning... so you can't win a game when you miss a FG (or punt) through the end zone in a tie game.

I think you might have the first point backwards... we keep it at 110 (meters) and it would decrease the field size to approx. 100 yards... would also mean it only takes 9.144 yards (according to my google search)  to get a first down, thus more offense. EDIT:  Nevermind, brain not working properly on that math

Both really good ideas though

Edited by bearpants