2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

If we're going to change the field size it should be to 100 Meters. Uniquely Canadian. Still 110 yards. 

My personal rule change never gets brought up: Missed FG that goes through the endzone without being touched = zero points. Allows for missed FG's to be run back, but doesn't reward misses with a single point unless you can tackle the returner in the endzone.

IMO the CFL is going about this all wrong. The rules are great as is. Changing rules won't get more fans in the stands or more fans watching on TV & that's what the CFL needs.

Farhan is a professional cfl $%&^ poster. I haven't seen push back on any change talks other than have nis and 3 down football. In general cfl fans are far more open to change than NFL or mlb fans. 

It's not even close go to any spring training facility any year and you will hear belly aching about inter league play dh and home field advantage. Mlb fans are the most resistant to change of any pro league. 

It's mainly Toronto that needs fans. They need to improve their game day experience and obviously promote it as more family friendly sports. Make it more affordable for families to go to the game and more ppl will go. 

We draw 25 30k on avg... we are cottage country and its summer pretty much.  No reason Toronto shouldn't draw as much considering population size and all that.  TV numbers in Toronto are strong tho. 

Why aren't these ppl going to the  games? 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Farhan is a professional cfl $%&^ poster. I haven't seen push back on any change talks other than have nis and 3 down football. In general cfl fans are far more open to change than NFL or mlb fans. 

It's not even close go to any spring training facility any year and you will hear belly aching about inter league play dh and home field advantage. Mlb fans are the most resistant to change of any pro league. 

The pearls that were clutched (including my own) when they made the changes to the extra inning rules was huge. There was a lot of fighting about that one. 

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

The pearls that were clutched (including my own) when they made the changes to the extra inning rules was huge. There was a lot of fighting about that one. 

Me too. And I hate 7 inning baseball. They got to make changes though. Pitch clocks time out limits and robot umps I'd like to see. I'm sick to death of the angel hernandez type refs and 15 minutes for a 20 pitch inning. 

At this point every thing should be tried in st

Baseball is boring AF... I dislike baseball games in person  

Hockey Football Basketball and Soccer are funner live 

But I like playing baseball so it's odd 

Football games are exciting.  Hockey generally are.  Basketball is pretty cool.  

Baseball is long and boring 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The point isn't for missing the field goal, the point is for kicking the ball through the endzone. 

I like the rouge purely for a quirky thing about the CFL. 

I actually agree. Plus they want more points not less.

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Baseball is boring AF... I dislike baseball games in person  

Hockey Football Basketball and Soccer are funner live 

But I like playing baseball so it's odd 

Football games are exciting.  Hockey generally are.  Basketball is pretty cool.  

Baseball is long and boring 

Same mostly. Never watched live soccer can't watch a whole game. I like game in 15m on YouTube I love pitcher hitter battles but can't stand 4 hour plus games. 

So bump the season up a month and start in May? Training camp in April? Don't agree with this. Pontentially dealing with weather in April (see Winnipeg this year). You'd have to move up the CFL draft and there is a reason its held after the NFL draft. We have our first game on June 10th this year which seems about right.

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So bump the season up a month and start in May? Training camp in April? Don't agree with this. Pontentially dealing with weather in April (see Winnipeg this year). You'd have to move up the CFL draft and there is a reason its held after the NFL draft. We have our first game on June 10th this year which seems about right.

Yeah, they made the start of the season earlier, but inserted more by weeks rather than moving the playoffs up a couple of weeks

IMO, that was a missed opportunity to improve late fall attendance

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

Yeah, they made the start of the season earlier, but inserted more by weeks rather than moving the playoffs up a couple of weeks

IMO, that was a missed opportunity to improve late fall attendance

I agree that perhaps taking out one bye week and ending the season mid November would work.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

First preseason game is May 23rd this year. They have moved up the schedule. They've also added an extra week. 

And, we play in the GC in Regina on November 20th, this year. That's moved up one week, so far. 

The 2019 GC was on Nov. 24 - so that's a 4 day bump up

Somewhat better - but I would go with the first or second Sunday in November

16 hours ago, Goalie said:

It's mainly Toronto that needs fans. They need to improve their game day experience and obviously promote it as more family friendly sports. Make it more affordable for families to go to the game and more ppl will go. 

We draw 25 30k on avg... we are cottage country and its summer pretty much.  No reason Toronto shouldn't draw as much considering population size and all that.  TV numbers in Toronto are strong tho. 

Why aren't these ppl going to the  games? 

Unfortunately, there are many reasons why people in Toronto stay home and watch. Toronto has such an elitist undercurrent that many people are just not willing to admit they are CFL fans. 

Just go to playoffs is the cold. I have sat through some absolutely frigid temperatures. Just dress appropriately.  We're all Canadians here, we know how to dress for the elements... course I see people show up in a light jacket and jeans to cold weather games and they're miserable... guess some people refuse to put on the winter outfit.

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Just go to playoffs is the cold. I have sat through some absolutely frigid temperatures. Just dress appropriately.  We're all Canadians here, we know how to dress for the elements... course I see people show up in a light jacket and jeans to cold weather games and they're miserable... guess some people refuse to put on the winter outfit.

Sure.  We would go to playoff games on the any day in November

The casual fan won't - that's the problem

18 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

If we're going to change the field size it should be to 100 Meters. Uniquely Canadian. Still 110 yards. 

My personal rule change never gets brought up: Missed FG that goes through the endzone without being touched = zero points. Allows for missed FG's to be run back, but doesn't reward misses with a single point unless you can tackle the returner in the endzone.

IMO the CFL is going about this all wrong. The rules are great as is. Changing rules won't get more fans in the stands or more fans watching on TV & that's what the CFL needs.

Changing to metric was tried for a couple of seasons and found to be a very bad idea. 10 meters for a first down is almost 11 yards. Changing to 9 meters for a first down complicates the math. I kind of like the missed field goal going through the end zone = 0 points though. Might add more excitement to the kicking game.

regarding the schedule and bye weeks: I read a quote last week from Ambrosie saying that one of the reasons he wants to get the Schooners going ASAP is to make an even 10 teams, and that would eliminate the need for so many bye weeks. The schedule would be balanced and they could get rid of some byes and then tighten up the schedule, allowing them to finish earlier. Or that's what he SAID, anyhow.....

If the the third bye week provides measurably greater safety for players, I am all for it. 

A 10th team, to me, would even out the schedule and provide fewer weeks where teams play twice or on a Tuesday. We could go back to a predictable schedule of two games on Friday night and two on Saturday night. You would need to have a third on Saturday or Thursday night, when all ten teams played. 

I wonder if the Schooners would have been a go, if not for Covid? I thought the momentum died for it before the pandemic?