2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

10 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Who? Specifically. Show your work. 

What he really meant was, "people didn't think his life should be ruined over a dui where no one got hurt."

Yes it was a mistake I'm sure he's sorry for. It's pathetic to bring this up as some kind of proof that he lacks character. It's even worse to suggest he's not a team guy because of an interview where he says "I won a grey cup." Like that's wrong somehow. People got hurt feelings and they're looking for justifications.

27 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If the player is one of ours then a DUI or getting caught with PED's in your system is fine. Players from other teams with similar situations are pieces of crap with low moral character who would never be welcome on a MOS team and should be suspended right away. It is known. It is the way.

Yeah remember when both the Harris incident and the Lawler issue happened? Everyone was like, nothing to see here. Move on. Brush this aside. Neither player can ever do anything wrong...no one should be punished 🙄

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

If the player is one of ours then a DUI or getting caught with PED's in your system is fine. Players from other teams with similar situations are pieces of crap with low moral character who would never be welcome on a MOS team and should be suspended right away. It is known. It is the way.

Now that you mention it, I think it’s about time Harris is banned from the league for his PED issue. 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I remember the days when you actually put some effort into your trolling.  It's sad when athletes stay too long, so it appears with trolling too.

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah remember when both the Harris incident and the Lawler issue happened? Everyone was like, nothing to see here. Move on. Brush this aside. Neither player can ever do anything wrong...no one should be punished 🙄

Look....Lawler said and I quote.....I HAVE accomplished 2 Grey Cups.....I'm sorry ....he didn't by himself accomplish winning 2 Grey Cups.....he had a helluva team around him to accomplish 2 Grey Cups but no mention of a Grey Cup winning team....You don't see anything wrong with that statement ...that's on you....No single player can take credit for a Cup win....that's just bull$hit....There's no 'I' in team..What am I missing here....I'm glad he's got a big payday...He's gone his way...we're on ours

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

What he really meant was, "people didn't think his life should be ruined over a dui where no one got hurt."

Back when it happened I had said that it shouldn't matter if someone was hurt or not,  the act itself is terrible and it is "lucky" that nobody was hurt in the end.  

I don't care if he was the best or worst player in the team,  it's a super selfish and stupid thing to do and far worse IMO then taking PED's.     Had he ran over a kid while drunk would people still be saying "Give him a chance and only give him a 1 game suspension because people make mistakes in life".   

I'm not saying the guy is an evil human and should be jailed for life or anything, but clearly he lacks maturity and character and a real professional wouldn't get themselves in trouble like this.   The claims of him winning the Grey Cup on his own is probably a stretch or a reach on his words but "if true" it clearly shows he's a selfish and not a typical O'Shea type player.  

For once I agree with TBurgess... fans really do turn a blind eye when a member of our team does something scummy (such as drinking and driving) and love to bag on players on other teams when they do similar things.       

Fortunately for us O'Shea has brought in lots of good guys with character so this is an anomaly and not the norm (unlike the typical Riders or Jones teams of the past).  

7 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

There were numerous members of this board who were not impressed with the Harris and Lawler situations. But, we were mostly happy with how the team handled it. 

Tbh the team publicly acknowledged the DUI and gave Lawler a team imposed 1 game suspension voluntarily. This was a lot more than most teams would do. If I recall correctly, as a team the Bombers hadn't locked up first place at the time either. Compare it to some of the other offenses by players, who wouldnt even admit wrongdoing, and would appeal the suspension (Simoni Lawrence 2 game suspension for a dangerous hit on Collaros comes to mind)

As for Harris - same thing... They had him serve his suspension, even though he ended up missing the critical back to back with SSK at the time. Though, this was a bit less up to Bomber brass, as I dont think you cam appeal a suspension for banned substance in the CFL.

Both situations sucked, but really the only thing more drastic they could have done would have been to cut ties with either player, which, at the time, probably would have been detrimental to the teams product on the field. I am not saying that it right, just that that is how the sports business is.

On 2022-02-12 at 9:03 AM, Blueandgold said:

What’s going on with the CFL schedule? Why isn’t Toronto coming to Winnipeg this year?

It was to even out the divisional games.  As it used to be, teams played 8 games vs. the East and 10 games vs. the west.  With the new way the schedule is setup, there are 8 inter division games and 10 intra division games per team.

18 hours ago, Stickem said:

Look....Lawler said and I quote.....I HAVE accomplished 2 Grey Cups.....I'm sorry ....he didn't by himself accomplish winning 2 Grey Cups.....he had a helluva team around him to accomplish 2 Grey Cups but no mention of a Grey Cup winning team....You don't see anything wrong with that statement ...that's on you....No single player can take credit for a Cup win....that's just bull$hit....There's no 'I' in team..What am I missing here....I'm glad he's got a big payday...He's gone his way...we're on ours

18 hours ago, Brandon said:

Back when it happened I had said that it shouldn't matter if someone was hurt or not,  the act itself is terrible and it is "lucky" that nobody was hurt in the end.  

I don't care if he was the best or worst player in the team,  it's a super selfish and stupid thing to do and far worse IMO then taking PED's.     Had he ran over a kid while drunk would people still be saying "Give him a chance and only give him a 1 game suspension because people make mistakes in life".   

I'm not saying the guy is an evil human and should be jailed for life or anything, but clearly he lacks maturity and character and a real professional wouldn't get themselves in trouble like this.   The claims of him winning the Grey Cup on his own is probably a stretch or a reach on his words but "if true" it clearly shows he's a selfish and not a typical O'Shea type player.  

For once I agree with TBurgess... fans really do turn a blind eye when a member of our team does something scummy (such as drinking and driving) and love to bag on players on other teams when they do similar things.       

Fortunately for us O'Shea has brought in lots of good guys with character so this is an anomaly and not the norm (unlike the typical Riders or Jones teams of the past).  

It's ok guys. Maybe he'll re-sign next year? It's only a 1 year deal with Edm.

6 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The fact that so many players want to come back and that many have signed for two years is a testament to the culture that Miller/Walters/MOS have built.

I am ready for Back to Back to Back.

After the long draught this team literally can't win too many in a row.  I've got the same vigor for championships I did before we won the first one.

On 2022-02-12 at 7:52 PM, Stickem said:

Lawler saying 'HE accomplished these two Grey Cups' on third down....that's why he deserved the big dough.....Not a mention of the team that gave him that opportunity.....Never figured him for a 'me' first guy....guess I was wrong....I'll say right now I doubt very much he'll come close to the stats. he had here in 21'...I think Kenny is going to come down to earth ....hard

All respect I think you’re missing the forest for the trees here. I highly doubt he means HE accomplished it all by himself. I think what he’s saying is that with the Grey Cups he’s deserving of a big contract. Like anyone would.