2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

49 minutes ago, Booch said:

Futures only tho...kinda surprises me....maybe bodes well for us in the end...time will tell but I am sure he will stick and see how he develops for all of 2022

I am surprised he took a futures too with all that interest in him. That being said, he likely kicks around the PR for a season at least.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Qft. Imagine a team bringing in a 6 foot 5 250 lbs guy who runs a 4.5 40 and teams trying to defend that with a 5 foot 10 195lbs Sam. 

The us game especially the nfl used to be behind the cfl in terms of offensive innovation. But not the cfl offense is stagnat and the nfl has way more advanced and creative offenses. They run the spread better than cfl teams now. Mostly they run flex spreads with a te but that a lone would tear it up up here. 

15 ish years ago cfl was more interesting to watch than it is now. We used to have teams running match zone or 3 4 front or cover 0 bend but don't break etc. Now all the defenses play similarly just with slight variations in cover frequency. The fits are all the same. Some teams just play the run better. 

Offenses are the same. 5 by 1 mostly some faking of an 11 formation mostly with a wr on the line. Lots of tight wr formations and tight zone running. 

Remember when the renegades had a fun to watch offense with kj running rpo and qb option with ranek? Or the als running 5 verts. 2 back power and split zone with 2 running backs playing off each other. 

If the cfl wants to hit the younger demographic teams should get out of the vanilla and back to the creative. 

If you can find a 6'5"/250 guy that can run a 4.5/40 and run good routes, catch the ball and not be a basket case please call me I have a job for them.

Signed:

EVERY NFL GM past and present.

....and that is why we don't see them up here. The NFL passing game is a TE game. Teams stockpile them.

9 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I think all contracts signed now are future contracts since the new NFL season has not started yet.

Nope and yes. A future's contract is much more of a low risk contract though. Teams can sign players to regular contracts in the offseason to count up to their offseason player limit. However, futures don't count against that limit and are generally given to players who are seen as long shots and do not come with any signing bonus of any sort. This allows teams to bring in guys and pay them per diem for all of TC. They get a real contract when they win a job on the active or PR.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Futures only tho...kinda surprises me....maybe bodes well for us in the end...time will tell but I am sure he will stick and see how he develops for all of 2022

Isn't every contract signed now from guys going from CFL to NFL a futures contract? I think it just states they go on the 90 man roster and dont count against the cap to the new league year starts in march. I think it is standard for any player that didnt finish the year on a NFL active roster. 

yeh generally if a bonus is involved the guy is there for the year....And you can sign a futures, or a regular contract now...Futures are more if they on the fence, and over course of off-season they find something better suited, and they just cancel the futures...

Tho I am not ZC my sources indicating to me that a BA announcement be forth coming and likely the next one we hear about....or one of next 2 as I think 2 are pretty much done

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

If you can find a 6'5"/250 guy that can run a 4.5/40 and run good routes, catch the ball and not be a basket case please call me I have a job for them.

Signed:

....and that is why we don't see them up here. The NFL passing game is a TE game. Teams stockpile them.

I don't agree. Not every wide receiver runs a 4.5/40. You need good size at TE to be able to block & then slip out to catch the ball. As a guy who coached HS I saw kids who had lots of potential to play TE. Good size, speed & hands but there was no point as a big kid would be moved to defense if he played junior ball or U Sports because the CFL doesn't use TE's. So, we never used TE's either. The CFL just throws a Canadian fullback out there to block but never catch. If they bring back the TE in the CFL, you'll see the change go down the ladder to HS & community football & we can start developing some promising Canadian players. Nothing will happen until the CFL makes a change first. 

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeh generally if a bonus is involved the guy is there for the year....And you can sign a futures, or a regular contract now...Futures are more if they on the fence, and over course of off-season they find something better suited, and they just cancel the futures...

Tho I am not ZC my sources indicating to me that a BA announcement be forth coming and likely the next one we hear about....or one of next 2 as I think 2 are pretty much done

That is great news about Alexander!! We need our receiving corps back. I really loved that group as they were the best in the CFL.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Bonus guarantees you are coming to camp and will get a fair shot at making the team. Futures are picked up and dropped like hot potatoes prior to camp. Every year there are a couple CFLer who sign futures contracts that are released from them long before camp starts. Most of them happen after the first OTA. Guys on futures have to really shine to be kept past first cuts in the NFL. It's a big risk for guys like Desjarlais because there is zero signing bonus except in extremely rare circumstances so he could lose a half season of CFL pay without earning a dime. It's why most guys on their 2nd go round opt not to sign futures deals. (see Adam Bighill)

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't agree. Not every wide receiver runs a 4.5/40. You need good size at TE to be able to block & then slip out to catch the ball. As a guy who coached HS I saw kids who had lots of potential to play TE. Good size, speed & hands but there was no point as a big kid would be moved to defense if he played junior ball or U Sports because the CFL doesn't use TE's. So, we never used TE's either. The CFL just throws a Canadian fullback out there to block but never catch. If they bring back the TE in the CFL, you'll see the change go down the ladder to HS & community football & we can start developing some promising Canadian players. Nothing will happen until the CFL makes a change first. 

That is great news about Alexander!! We need our receiving corps back. I really loved that group as they were the best in the CFL.

There are not many 6'5/250 receivers that run a 4.5/40 and can run routes. Here in Canada it never happens for the reasons you have listed and in the US they can't even find enough to supply the NFL so don't tell me there are all kinds of hidden gems. If the NFL can't find enough of them you know that there is a shortage of these type of athletes. 

11 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Did Hamilton release him to pursue an NFL opportunity? Could be a good fit here. Great signing! 

He left the TiCats in summer and signed with the Rams. Was released at the end of camp but must have kicked around the NFL trying to catch on somewhere. 

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Signed:

Nope and yes. A future's contract is much more of a low risk contract though. Teams can sign players to regular contracts in the offseason to count up to their offseason player limit. However, futures don't count against that limit and are generally given to players who are seen as long shots and do not come with any signing bonus of any sort. This allows teams to bring in guys and pay them per diem for all of TC. They get a real contract when they win a job on the active or PR.

That's simply not true. Tons of athletic big flex tes are available. It's deeper that rb. Last time this came up I posted 5 guys who blew away that standard. 

Nfl teams don't carry many tes and more most teams roster 1 pass catching te these days. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In our wr core demski is about the fastest. Most wrs are not 4.4 guys any more. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

There are not many 6'5/250 receivers that run a 4.5/40 and can run routes. Here in Canada it never happens for the reasons you have listed and in the US they can't even find enough to supply the NFL so don't tell me there are all kinds of hidden gems. If the NFL can't find enough of them you know that there is a shortage of these type of athletes. 

Tes not wrs. Ya there are literally lots of guys lost as big athletic tes. It's easily the most abundant athletic position in football. 

Bucky hodges is 26 been out of football since end 2019. 6 foot 6 260 4.5 40 40 inch vertical 134 inch broad jump. Good pass catching te. 

Go look at the bottom draft and un drafted for 3 years before him. You'll come up with a dozen elite big athletes at te under 30 out of football. Go down to 4.6 and 4.7 40 range or down to sub 250 lbs sub 6 foot 5 and you can find excellent route runner and pass catchers. 

They aren't guys who can block down a 250lbs nfl rusher though 1 on 1. The nfl hates situational players. 3rd down backs n such.