2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

His deal is $160K plus incentives so maybe he stands to make much more if he has another season like this past one.  I know Walters doesn't like using bonuses due to the uncertainty but maybe this was the only way to get it done and still have room for other guys.

Is anyone familiar with how bonuses work against the salary cap? If a contract is $160,000 (just a random number I’m picking here 😁) with say &50,000 in bonuses, is it a registered $210,000 contract against the cap, or $160,000, or are the bonuses added to the tally at the end and if you then go over you get dinged? Because if the club knows it could be going over the cap if bonuses kick in, then they wouldn’t likely spend up to the cap on hard money, would they? And does the league approve every salary and not worry about cap violations until they happen? I know other leagues reject contracts if they violate the cap from the outset, and bonuses count against the cap from the outset, whether ultimately earned or not, to my understanding. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Is anyone familiar with how bonuses work against the salary cap? If a contract is $160,000 (just a random number I’m picking here 😁) with say &50,000 in bonuses, is it a registered $210,000 contract against the cap, or $160,000, or are the bonuses added to the tally at the end and if you then go over you get dinged? Because if the club knows it could be going over the cap if bonuses kick in, then they wouldn’t likely spend up to the cap on hard money, would they? And does the league approve every salary and not worry about cap violations until they happen? I know other leagues reject contracts if they violate the cap from the outset, and bonuses count against the cap from the outset, whether ultimately earned or not, to my understanding. 

It's added as bonuses are met....but the G.M has a running tally of both the hard money spread sheet of all contracts, and one with max salaries too, to see where it all fits, and uses that generally to build the SMS

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

A team only needs to be cap compliant once the accounting goes to the league at year end. The league has stepped in, in the past, when they believed a team might go significantly over and warned them they must get compliant by year end (Mtl in 2018) but they can't really do much else. Teams can sign over the SMS then become compliant after.

Just now, GCn20 said:

A team only needs to be cap compliant once the accounting goes to the league at year end. The league has stepped in, in the past, when they believed a team might go significantly over and warned them they must get compliant by year end (Mtl in 2018) but they can't really do much else. Teams can sign over the SMS then become compliant after.

Or not and face a few repercussions. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

:117_eyes:

38 minutes ago, Saidin said:

Little blurb from Collaros.

Man we are sooo lucky to not just have a great qb and team but a great person and group of people. 

No matter how this dynasty or the careers powering them ends this is an all time great group of football people.  And we are very lucky to have them. 

14 hours ago, bigg jay said:

My brother.  He used to post here and on OB as Taynted Fayth.  He passed away a few days ago and I'm using his old profile picture.

I met him when ourbombers had meetups..... he immediately bought me a beer, and was a friendly , funny, good guy.

I liked him right away, sorry to hear about it.

Edited by Mark F