2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

We will be ok signing back who we want/need most ..you have to remember save for Stove abc Sheed the remaining guys are not getting bumps to entry deal contracts...that's huge.

And Willie didn't break the bank ..Biggie and Jeffcoat are utter steals and Zack being under 600k Is a big win.

We weren't at ceiling capwise last year and pieces all fit ..so spend closer to that ceiling this yr to accommodate the bumps...and it appears based on a few deals already that guys are wanting to stick around here for what they think is fair..good for them...good for the team...and helps enable others to stay here..true team mentality and brotherhood going on here...u can tell they wanna run at 3peat with this group

I’m glad Bighill is happy with his contract, but given that he and Collaros share the same agent, I am astounded he came in so low. Took a massive pay cut for 2021 to help out the team, bet on himself on the restructured 1 year deal and produced with an MOP season. Could easily have earned the right to demand to be the highest paid defensive player in the league like Collaros on offence and return to $250,000 range (would have been an overpay but certainly the going rate). $200,000-225,000 seemed like a fair offer for what he brought and what the league precedent is. Maybe the incentives in the deal are worth a ton extra. I am not him, but if I was I might be looking at my agent and saying “wait, you got Zach a $125,000 raise and this is the best you could do for me?” Anyway, whatever the reason, thrilled he is back and proud to have chosen his number for my jersey. 

14 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Perhaps Biggie feels that $160,000 + whatever he makes at his other job is enough? I mean I thought his deal would be higher too but who knows.

Curious if Harris is coming back or if he rides into the sunset and we go with the youngsters.

I certainly don't get the impression Harris wants to retire. There'd have been media stories already.

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I certainly don't get the impression Harris wants to retire. There'd have been media stories already.

Honestly, he's not ready to retire. Look at his last two games he played. Saskatchewan couldn't stop him and Hammy keyed on him during  the Grey Cup game. He is to valuable to just let go/retire. Now, is there an opening in the coaching ranks on the offensive side? We lost a coach to Toronto.....

My thoughts, we go with Oliveira & Harris with Borsa on the roster this year. Sadly, as he does deserves more playing time, Johnny Augustine is given the opportunity, elsewhere... Unless, the situation from last year, works for all, AH33 takes a shave, Borsa looks elsewhere and JA27 & BO20 have further increased playing time. 

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I've heard through the rumour mill that he is considering it. Was a hard year for him on and off the field. 

I don't know how many saw or picked up on this, but at the conclusion of the Grey Cup game, cameras running... while many were celebrating all over the field, there was AH33 sitting alone on the "W" logo on the playing field, just deep in thought. I always wondered what he was thinking that very time or moment... 

He is coming back.

No doubt from me.

1 minute ago, camper_2 said:

I don't know how many saw or picked up on this, but at the conclusion of the Grey Cup game, cameras running... while many were celebrating all over the field, there was AH33 sitting alone on the "W" logo on the playing field, just deep in thought. I always wondered what he was thinking that very time or moment... 

He said during an interview that he just wanted to enjoy everything happening around him and reflect on how he got to that point last season. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Perhaps Biggie feels that $160,000 + whatever he makes at his other job is enough? I mean I thought his deal would be higher too but who knows.

Curious if Harris is coming back or if he rides into the sunset and we go with the youngsters.

His deal is $160K plus incentives so maybe he stands to make much more if he has another season like this past one.  I know Walters doesn't like using bonuses due to the uncertainty but maybe this was the only way to get it done and still have room for other guys.

Also...looking at some of the bargains we have gotten...looks like there is a team effort to take whats fair, and keep the band together...looking out for their brothers, cause even WJ's 225k is below what he coulda got elsewhere easily, and same with Jeffcoats 175k...thats a right steal!!

I expect Harris as well to come back in I bet the 175k range at top end...maybe with a games played incentive, he and everyone in league knows he is not a 200k guy like he was getting...he wont go anywhere else for a few sheckles more if he wants to keep playing...and from all accounts I have heard he's playing

Zack is back.....and it looks to be a fair deal for both sides.....I believe players are trying to make things work money wise because they believe in the team and they believe in another Cup.....Says a lot about our guys and management....they're very savvy and they luv it here....Onward and upward....everthing else should fall into place soon.....Gotta luv it

6 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Zack is back.....and it looks to be a fair deal for both sides.....I believe players are trying to make things work money wise because they believe in the team and they believe in another Cup.....Says a lot about our guys and management....they're very savvy and they luv it here....Onward and upward....everthing else should fall into place soon.....Gotta luv it

couldn't agree more...whoever we want back from last year (save for NFL defections) we will get

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Great to have Collaros back. $550K and the highest paid player in the league makes perfect sense considering that he was the best QB in 2021.

Great to have Biggie back. $160K (plus incentives) sounds too good to be true. I was expecting the $200K range.

ogvhs-happy-dance.gif

yeah...I didnt expect anything below 195k to be honest...that 40k extra to play with will be huge for re-upping vets who need a bit of a bump...say all toward Stove....or split between say Rose and BA...

22 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I put Benson in because he is our only option there, no idea who if anyone would be our back up if he left. That alone makes him more valuable. And a quality long snapper is an underrated but important piece to the special teams puzzle. Any ideas who is out there? Is it an easy job to learn?

True, it is a specialized skill but I'd be shocked if one or more of our Canadian LBs don't already have the skill that could just use some honing/coaching... Rempel missed 4 or 5 games in 2019 and no one noticed while Thomas Miles took over... I would expect Benson back and it shouldn't be an unreasonable salary. 

5 minutes ago, bearpants said:

True, it is a specialized skill but I'd be shocked if one or more of our Canadian LBs don't already have the skill that could just use some honing/coaching... Rempel missed 4 or 5 games in 2019 and no one noticed while Thomas Miles took over... I would expect Benson back and it shouldn't be an unreasonable salary. 

Winnipeg guy...lives here yr round...he'll be back and it will be an affordable contract not hindering other signings...Prob already has one..just not announced

5 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Thomas Miles took over in game and it was noticeable then they signed Maxime Latour to snap while Remple was hurt