2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

37 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Nichols is broken and MBT is half nuts, hard pass on both. Harris and Masoli are the only real options if Collaros leaves imo.

Even then Harris looks shot. I wouldn't bank. On any of them other then Masoli being able to lead us to the play offs. And even then I don't think Masoli or Harris fi I think they fo. 

12 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

How do you win in the CFL

1. QB

2. Oline

3. Canadians

4 Pass Rush

Zack is 17-2 as the starter. He is not going to put up gaudy numbers in a Bomber system that when they are going only throw the ball 25-30 times a game.  Watching him the past couple years he is so good at those throws outside of the pocket, throws where he can't get properly set. Don't want to go back to the QB days before him. 

Collaros is the only qb that's a winner in that row. Isnt an ol fixer available either. Not even a lot for star Nis. 

By default the only true system changing star that can be a difference maker to a contender that could see fa is Zach. 

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

His QBR in 2021 was phenomenal at 111.0, even if he didn't put up gaudy passing yards. 

He was a factor in the success of team but not the only factor, IMO. FWIW, I'd rank the defense first in terms of overall impact to the success of the 2021 season.

He also sat the better part of 3 games and saw lots of injuries and missed time to his wr core and star rb. 

Considering it was the first time in a decade the passing game carried our offense he did fantastic. 

It's also bucks first year as an oc. He had a lot of growth as a play caller. 

35 minutes ago, johnzo said:

any news on Streveler?  Only thing I've heard about him lately is that Lapo wants him as the Ottawa QB1.

I dunno about this ... not a lot of evidence for it.  Seems like when a CFL team goes into the season without an established QB, that team generally craps the bed.  Good rookie starters come along only about once a decade ... Allen, Flutie, Ray, Evans .. can't think of any others. 

None of the current crop of CFL QBs made waves as rookies, tho VAJ started and won three games in his first CFL season.

Actually in the modern era or football you can see tons of guys who produce as first year starters.

Also Allen and flutie weren't stars by any means in their first 3 combined years. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Complete horseshit that they give him that 2nd loss too. He was winning the game until Dru Brown went in and lost it. 

Collaros is 17-1 as a  bomber.

with any kind of kicking, he's 18-0.....**** this team is good. 

Zach needs to be paid, no one arguing that… will he pitch a fit if he is the highest paid qb in the land? I doubt it as the Bombers aren’t automatically going to low-ball him.  I’m sure he gets at least north of $485k plus playoff money etc…

The argument really seems to be how much of a factor that last $25-35k will be.  The guy has two other requirements… staying healthy (i.e. oline) and winning.  Bombers are still hands down his best shot of winning, and let’s be real he knows he’ll get paid and have a chance to be a part of a dynasty, in an era where dynasties just don’t happen anymore.  

His only chances of winning in the East are in Hamilton or Montreal and that would mean those teams cutting starters they just signed, and looking bad while doing it.  Any other team in the East is destroying their roster building potential with a massive overpay.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo problems. Would been dominant without the lapo play not to lose mentality in previous years too.

Yeah, what a disappointment for us all how the Bombers decided “not to lose” so frequently with LaPo as their OC from 2016-2019, especially that “not lost” Grey Cup. 44-28, playoffs every year and 4-3 playoff record with a ring. Whole lotta not losing there. Bottom line, for all its “conservative” ball control and protection schemes, his Bomber teams put up 30 points on average, won rushing titles, won games and produced a championship. 

But I guess you’d prefer the high octane gunslinging big yardage of say a Trevor Harris offence, along with the 24.5 point average. That guy doesn’t throw check downs, he plays to win - except that he’s lost more than he’s won (39-41-2, 2-3 in the playoffs)  

Honestly, this whole “LaPo ruins players and runs a losing offence that will never play to win” is such a tired narrative.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

with any kind of kicking, he's 18-0.....**** this team is good. 

Actually the only game we lost due to kicking was the final game in Calgary with Castillo booting for us. Otherwise it was a non-factor in the loss column, and Liegghio and Mourtada each won us a game where kicking points made the difference. And of course Castillo in the Grey Cup. He should have been the MVP. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Yeah, what a disappointment for us all how the Bombers decided “not to lose” so frequently with LaPo as their OC from 2016-2019, especially that “not lost” Grey Cup. 44-28, playoffs every year and 4-3 playoff record with a ring. Whole lotta not losing there. Bottom line, for all its “conservative” ball control and protection schemes, his Bomber teams put up 30 points on average, won rushing titles, won games and produced a championship. 

But I guess you’d prefer the high octane gunslinging big yardage of say a Trevor Harris offence, along with the 24.5 point average. That guy doesn’t throw check downs, he plays to win - except that he’s lost more than he’s won (39-41-2, 2-3 in the playoffs)  

Honestly, this whole “LaPo ruins players and runs a losing offence that will never play to win” is such a tired narrative.

Actually the only game we lost due to kicking was the final game in Calgary with Castillo booting for us. Otherwise it was a non-factor in the loss column, and Liegghio and Mourtada each won us a game where kicking points made the difference. And of course Castillo in the Grey Cup. He should have been the MVP. 

False. The Toronto game we lost in Toronto we missed all (nearly all?) FGs which would have made the difference. I contend we win that game with half decent kicking. 

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

False. The Toronto game we lost in Toronto we missed all (nearly all?) FGs which would have made the difference. I contend we win that game with half decent kicking. 

Went 0/2 in field goals (a single point off of those 2 misses), 5 missed points, lost by 7. Did not have the ball or a chance to kick game winner at the end. Would not have made the difference. 

I don't recall if he's a FA or not but would there be any interest in Banks at a lower pay? I know he'll be 34 but he still has some speed and seems fairly reliable,just an idea if Lawler buggers off and we don't acquire a player like Burnham to replace. Lucky would've been nice as he's a burner but not saying I still wouldn't be happier than **** if Lawler signed back here.

33 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I don't recall if he's a FA or not but would there be any interest in Banks at a lower pay? I know he'll be 34 but he still has some speed and seems fairly reliable,just an idea if Lawler buggers off and we don't acquire a player like Burnham to replace. Lucky would've been nice as he's a burner but not saying I still wouldn't be happier than **** if Lawler signed back here.

How long would Banks last in a FIFO locker room? Whiny ***** doesn’t fit here. 

22 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Banks, in my opinion won't be a "good fit" in Wpg.

Should Kenny Lawler leave Wpg, our guys (Rasheed Bailey, Drew Wolitarsky, Darvin Adams) need to be re-signed, sooner that later. Free agents, if available, such as Jaelin Acklin, Jake Wieneke, Kamor Jorden & Bryan Burnham need to be looked at. 

Question to all, have we got someone within our current signed recruits capable of replacing Lawler? 

1 minute ago, camper_2 said:

Banks, in my opinion won't be a "good fit" in Wpg.

Should Kenny Lawler leave Wpg, our guys (Rasheed Bailey, Drew Wolitarsky, Darvin Adams) need to be re-signed, sooner that later. Free agents, if available, such as Jaelin Acklin, Jake Wieneke, Kamor Jorden & Bryan Burnham need to be looked at. 

Question to all, have we got someone within our current signed recruits capable of replacing Lawler? 

Jorden doesn't have the circus catch resume Burnahm does but I'd definitely be interested,I also feel like Bailey is our next go to.

16 hours ago, JCon said:

Middle of the road team. 🤣

Will just say anything. 

We've had 1 year of being dominant with Collaros. Before that we never got a first in the west and we didn't win many playoff games. 2019 was a great playoff run with Collaros after coming in 3rd in the West, 4th in the league. That's the definition of middle of the road and you know it. 

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo problems. Would been dominant without the lapo play not to lose mentality in previous years too.

Lapo was 4-0 with Collaros. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

We've had 1 year of being dominant with Collaros. Before that we never got a first in the west and we didn't win many playoff games. 2019 was a great playoff run with Collaros after coming in 3rd in the West, 4th in the league. That's the definition of middle of the road and you know it. 

Every year is different. At the time Nichols went down and we turned to Streveler we were the best team in the league. We lost a couple games playing with our backup...happens to even really good teams...and then we traded for a veteran when that backup got injured and quickly went back to our best team in the league play.  What happened in seasons prior is completely irrelevant no matter how much you would like it to be part of the narrative. Were we mediocre in 2018...not really...we went to the West final. In 2017 and prior...yea maybe a touch better than mediocre but thats year's before and as I stated earlier...COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. At the time we got Zac we were the best team in the league but needed a QB. The proof is in the pudding. I'm not trying to discredit anything that Zac did, but realistically in 2019 we won because we were the best team...not because we had the best QB. In 2021, it was little bit of both.

I agree that this crap on Lapo narrative is getting a little over the top. He did not hold us back from winning and his Grey Cup ring is the proof of that. One can disagree with his style etc, but it doesn't have to be exaggerated to suggest that his offence held anyone back from winning more. 

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Yeah and lapo taking his foot off the gas lost at least the Toronto and Montreal games. That would have put them at 13 wins behind only Hamilton in terms of wins on the year... so don't give me that crap that they needed collaros to be a top team. 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

34 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Every year is different. At the time Nichols went down and we turned to Streveler we were the best team in the league. We lost a couple games playing with our backup...happens to even really good teams...and then we traded for a veteran when that backup got injured and quickly went back to our best team in the league play.  What happened in seasons prior is completely irrelevant no matter how much you would like it to be part of the narrative. Were we mediocre in 2018...not really...we went to the West final. In 2017 and prior...yea maybe a touch better than mediocre but thats year's before and as I stated earlier...COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. At the time we got Zac we were the best team in the league but needed a QB. The proof is in the pudding. I'm not trying to discredit anything that Zac did, but realistically in 2019 we won because we were the best team...not because we had the best QB. In 2021, it was little bit of both.

I agree that this crap on Lapo narrative is getting a little over the top. He did not hold us back from winning and his Grey Cup ring is the proof of that. One can disagree with his style etc, but it doesn't have to be exaggerated to suggest that his offence held anyone back from winning more. 

You're making justifications/excuses for the fact that we were 3rd in the West, 4th overall in 2019, which is the definition of middle of the road. Before that is COMPLETELY RELEVANT when talking about the level of success for the team in the Canadian Mafia era. The Mafia era: a 5th, a 4th, 3 3rds, a 2nd and a 1st. 2021 is the only dominant team. The 2nd was above average and the rest were average to below average. Before 2019 we had 1 playoff win in 4 playoff games. That's below average.

Words matter. I said Middle of the road, which means being in the middle, not mediocre which means below average.

Collaros moves the pocket, extends plays, hits the deep ball and doesn't turn the ball over very often. He throws on time and on target. None of the QB's we've had in the last 7 years or more could do all of those things.

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

Someone tell him the "Middle of the Road Blue Bombers" have won back to back Grey Cups. 

I wish, when you blocked someone, you didn't have to see their quotes either. 

I've constantly said we were dominant in 2021 because we were, but we weren't in 2019 or any time before that. It's why MOS got his first COY award in 2021. The dominance started the day that Collaros got his first start in Blue and Gold. Is that fact lost on you?

BTW: Someone asked who I'd be willing to give up to sign Collaros for what he's worth. Adams and/or Harris plus the guys we're losing to the NFL would more than make up the extra dollars.

BTW2: I think we sign Collaros for a bit more than Faj-JJ got.