2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

16 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

And just who else is out there in free agency, pray tell? Masoli and his non-vaxx status or Trevor Harris, and who else?

Call me crazy but i honestly think Harris could have a lot of success behind our o-line and backed by our defense. We could reincarnate the 2000 Baltimore Ravens(our defense was arguably better last year), and he could be our Trent Dilfer.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

13 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Call me crazy but i honestly think Harris could have a lot of success behind our o-line and backed by our defense. We could reincarnate the 2000 Baltimore Ravens(our defense was arguably better last year), and he could be our Trent Dilfer.

Harris is better then a Dilfer,   a comp to Dilfer would be a guy like Fajardo.  

Harris can thrive if he isn't relied upon to carry a team on his back.   Clearly Zach would be a far better option but if we had to Harris would work. 

6 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I could see this as an option, Harris when he's on, the passing yards are there and surrounded with the core Bomber team, that would be scary as well..... I'd exhaust Zack Collaras discussions, before we go Trevor Harris.....

8 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

No way would I want Trevor Harris here. Dude crumbles under pressure and is over the hill, not to mention there are rumors he is locker room cancer. Give me a diamond in the rough young QB with upside and lower salary any day.

Worst case we lose Collaros to Toronto and Masoli ends up in Ottawa. Where is Harris going to go? If he wants to still be a starter it would have to be here and most likely at a discount. You cant win with young QB's unless youre the Stampeders apparently. He still has game based on his sample size with Montreal last season, and he's never played behind an o-line as good as ours. He wouldnt need to be all-world with us, just be serviceable and limit turnovers. And i would imagine him coming into a veteran championship winning tight group with OSH at the helm would effectively smother his ego/locker room issues, if he infact has any. Trust me, i desperate want Collaros back but we could win with Harris.

I wouldn't take Harris or Masoli unless they showed serious changes in character and even then pretty much min contracts. 

I fully believe you can get qbs who as rookies can produce at a minimum pro level. I'd rather go with a rookie streveler Evans heavy balls etc. But at this point I don't think either young qb we have are replacement level. 

Rather than spending atleast 150k plus on a guy like that I'd rather the Bombers give our guys raises or maybe poach a decent rotational ni. 

I think there's one very important part of the equation to re-up Collaros....It's not mentioned much BUT not every club has the type of head coach the Bombers have....Not all head honchos are like Mike O and I'm sure that fact has passed through Collaro's thought processes...Not only would he be leaving a stud o line but also the best coach in the league....IF he chose to depart...Things to think about on Zacks part....😉

Edited by Stickem

Collaros was the top QB in the league last year so he should be paid the top $. If we don't pay him, other team(s) will. Considering we were a middle of the road team without him and a dominant team with him, we need to sign him at top $ even if that means losing a couple of other players. I don't buy the idea that we can be dominant with Harris or MBT or Masoli. 

If Collaros went elsewhere I think Plan B would come down to 4 options.

T. Harris, Masoli, MBT or Matt Nichols (if fully recuperated)

I think any of those 4 options would be able to guide the Bombers to a comfortable playoff spot and look good doing so, as the machine has been pre-tuned to perform,  predicting anything beyond a playoff appearance is a wild ass guess.

Edited by Fatty Liver

11 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

If Collaros went elsewhere I think Plan B would come down to 4 options.

T. Harris, Masoli, MBT or Matt Nichols (if fully recuperated)

I think any of those 4 options would be able to guide the Bombers to a comfortable playoff spot and look good doing so, as the machine has been pre-tuned to perform,  predicting anything beyond a playoff appearance is a wild ass guess.

Nichols is broken and MBT is half nuts, hard pass on both. Harris and Masoli are the only real options if Collaros leaves imo.

28 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Collaros was the top QB in the league last year so he should be paid the top $. If we don't pay him, other team(s) will. Considering we were a middle of the road team without him and a dominant team with him, we need to sign him at top $ even if that means losing a couple of other players. I don't buy the idea that we can be dominant with Harris or MBT or Masoli. 

I'd be curious who you'd see us give up to make room for a big Collaros payday. I love Collaros and really think we need him back, but I also don't think he's the most important player in terms of our overall success. 

At the end of the day, this is just boredom discussions, as I really think they'll reach a mutual agreement and this will all be much ado about nothing, as usual. 

any news on Streveler?  Only thing I've heard about him lately is that Lapo wants him as the Ottawa QB1.

51 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I fully believe you can get qbs who as rookies can produce at a minimum pro level.

I dunno about this ... not a lot of evidence for it.  Seems like when a CFL team goes into the season without an established QB, that team generally craps the bed.  Good rookie starters come along only about once a decade ... Allen, Flutie, Ray, Evans .. can't think of any others. 

None of the current crop of CFL QBs made waves as rookies, tho VAJ started and won three games in his first CFL season.

11 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

The D has given up 14 points a game with Collaros as QB.

I love ZC. We need to make sure he is back. But he isn't the only reason we are winning.

and let's be honest, as much as we all love ZC, it's not like he was putting up "Doug Flutie Circa 1996" numbers....

How do you win in the CFL

1. QB

2. Oline

3. Canadians

4 Pass Rush

Zack is 17-2 as the starter. He is not going to put up gaudy numbers in a Bomber system that when they are going only throw the ball 25-30 times a game.  Watching him the past couple years he is so good at those throws outside of the pocket, throws where he can't get properly set. Don't want to go back to the QB days before him. 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

and let's be honest, as much as we all love ZC, it's not like he was putting up "Doug Flutie Circa 1996" numbers....

His QBR in 2021 was phenomenal at 111.0, even if he didn't put up gaudy passing yards. 

He was a factor in the success of team but not the only factor, IMO. FWIW, I'd rank the defense first in terms of overall impact to the success of the 2021 season.