2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I could be wrong so correct me if I am... but didn't the Blue offer more money to Zach several years back and he turned them down to stay out East?   

I'm not sure if they made an official offer, but Walters has said that Collaros is a guy they've wanted for awhile....

2 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

IMO ,a more than adequate replacement for Drew....IF we lose him. Which I think is highly likely.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think Gray is at the talent level of Desjarlais. There's a drop off in replacement, but Gray is good enough to be adequate. I'm hoping he takes the next step in his development with more regular reps this season...

Collaros’s knows his career was almost over before coming to Winnipeg. He knows the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. He has a great opportunity to add to a late career legacy on a well coached team, good offense and most importantly a well protected offense. I can’t see him taking the money and running to a place that won’t offer him those things.Winnipeg will give him a good offer, with a chance to three peat and a chance to keep him healthy again for 18 games.

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

For discussion.....

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/17/reigning-mop-back-to-back-grey-cup-champ-zach-collaros-has-all-the-leverage-in-contract-negotiations-with-bombers/

Zach Collaros has the Bombers by their blue balls.

Each second, minute, hour and day that go by, the price rises for re-signing Collaros. Offers have been made but none lucrative enough for him to sign on the dotted line. The pending free agent would be coveted by multiple CFL teams if he happens to hit the open market on February 8.

Since arriving in Winnipeg at the trade deadline in October 2019, the athletic QB has played the best football of his career. He’s won 17 of 19 starts, including back-to-back Grey Cups, and earned the league’s Most Outstanding Player award in a unanimous vote.

Collaros earned a prorated $424,285.71 last season while leading the CFL with 20 touchdown passes and a 111.0 QB rating. He was the best quarterback in the three-down league and even his counterparts would agree, while definitely being underpaid.

His situation is comparable to Bo Levi Mitchell following the 2018 season. Mitchell had done the double, grabbing the MOP award and a second Grey Cup as a starter. He actually entered free agency, entertained offers until Stampeders general manager John Hufnagel opened his wallet to pay Mitchell $2.8 million over four years for an average of $700,000 annually.

That’s the kind of money Collaros could command from rival CFL franchises. The Argonauts would be intrigued by the idea of bringing the 33-year-old back to Toronto where he started his career. It could be a homecoming of sorts, as Collaros makes his off-season home in nearby Aurora, which is less than a 40-minute drive — without traffic — from BMO Field.

Paul LaPolice would love to be reunited with Collaros in the nation’s capital. The offensive coordinator and QB worked closely together in 2019 to help the Bombers win the 107th Grey Cup. Ottawa has lots of salary cap space and Redblacks GM Shawn Burke was in Hamilton for all of the years Collaros spent with the Tiger-Cats, critical familiarity.

Both Toronto and Ottawa have cash to spend on Collaros if the opportunity comes about. At minimum, competing teams could drive the price up on Winnipeg if negotiations go the distance. The Bombers are trying to keep as many key pieces on the roster as possible while eyeing a three-peat, but Collaros is the most important by a country mile.

If Collaros leaves the Blue Bombers, the only QB currently under contract is Dru Brown. Losing No. 8 would completely change the Bombers’ ability to compete for a third straight CFL championship with the 109th edition scheduled to be hosted by the rival Roughriders in Saskatchewan. Winnipeg Football Club president Wade Miller would love to hoist the cup there, but Collaros must be in blue and gold for a legit shot at that dream turning into reality.

It’s a rare time where one player has all the leverage and, with football careers being unpredictable and short, Collaros needs to break the bank while he can. His recent accolades add up to him becoming the highest paid player in the CFL. The major question: will Winnipeg pay up or does Collaros wear new colours next season? We’re about to find out and the drama could be high behind the scenes.

Tldr dunk is dying to write a post mortem on the Bombers where collaros leaves as a fa or he signs a giant contract that limits our ability to retain fas. 

15 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Looks like he plays with a mean steak. As a rotational guy I've been impressed by how often he seems to be involved in scuffles.

Nasty and local... Love it.

Yep. Good chance he starts this year. Happy he's back. Long term i think he could still be a rt in the cfl. 

4 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Collaros’s knows his career was almost over before coming to Winnipeg. He knows the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. He has a great opportunity to add to a late career legacy on a well coached team, good offense and most importantly a well protected offense. I can’t see him taking the money and running to a place that won’t offer him those things.Winnipeg will give him a good offer, with a chance to three peat and a chance to keep him healthy again for 18 games.

He was done like dinner. His resurgence is one of the all time come back stories. 

I would think collaros values an ol over a few k at this point. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Yep. Good chance he starts this year. Happy he's back. Long term i think he could still be a rt in the cfl.

One thing Gray has over Desjarlais is a longer reach and stride but he's in no way gangly. I could definitely see him as a RT

Just now, Jpan85 said:

People forget he started 12 games in 2019 replacing Neufeld.

And we did quite well over those 12 games

55 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Our OL is rounding into shape with Hardrick, Neufeld and Gray, would love to see Couture and Bryant back soon.

Given Biggie liking every Bomber announcement on Twitter, I have to assume he is back.

Biggie is in Hawaii, so I bet a deal gets finalized when he's back. 

Neuf was in Hawaii too when he was announced as resigned...thins may be already basically ironed out, and they are just seeing how the other pieces come together in possibly sprucing up his deal a bit more.....I also have no concerns of Couture not being back...Bryant u may as well pencil in at LT too

As far as Collaros, not sure how to take that article, and whether to even believe it...Th Qb market in CFL is no longer a 700k and up range....not even 600k and up.....and all parties involved know that.

If at worst he wants top dollar, then he will get prob 525..550....to eclipse what Faj makes...which is still completely laughable. 

Media love this narrative like somehow Zach is some sort of mercenary where money is all that matters.  He knows what it’s like to be cast off like damaged goods and already weighed his health vs his career.  On top of that he’s got a young family to take care of, so bolting for a few more dollars at the risk of getting killed Reilly-style makes no sense.  Throughout his time in Winnipeg all he’s talked about is his love for the game, his teammates and how good the organization is.  The business side will take care of itself.

9 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Media love this narrative like somehow Zach is some sort of mercenary where money is all that matters.  He knows what it’s like to be cast off like damaged goods and already weighed his health vs his career.  On top of that he’s got a young family to take care of, so bolting for a few more dollars at the risk of getting killed Reilly-style makes no sense.  Throughout his time in Winnipeg all he’s talked about is his love for the game, his teammates and how good the organization is.  The business side will take care of itself.

The media just flat out hates that the Bombers are good and are trying to pretend that there is no way they can remain good.

Collaros just has to look at his career before coming here and re-live some of those shots he took that put his career in jeopardy.....He has solid protection here and that has to count for something....If he weighs it all out I'm sure the bump in salary AND the thought of remaining behind an all star o line will carry the day....I know he's probably thinking that after the year he had, and the awards that came with it, that that should be worth a good jump in his contract...If it's reasonable from both sides, his ask and our offer, I can't see him wanting to move on...We shall see

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Collaros just has to look at his career before coming here and re-live some of those shots he took that put his career in jeopardy.....He has solid protection here and that has to count for something....If he weighs it all out I'm sure the bump in salary AND the thought of remaining behind an all star o line will carry the day....I know he's probably thinking that after the year he had, and the awards that came with it, that that should be worth a good jump in his contract...If it's reasonable from both sides, his ask and our offer, I can't see him wanting to move on...We shall see

Unless Collaros is already suffering from brain damage, he and his wife have to know that a couple-few big hits on him and he will likely suffer permanent, career-ending damage. He is far, far better off re-signing with the Blue where his career will be longer and at the end of it, he will still be able to recognize his wife and kids.