2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Pretty sure Jones is needing some off-season surgery, and if it didn't require it, pretty sure he isn't able to do workouts right now....Fully expect him back, and Taylor if we need/want him

Nichols is back if he doesn't get an NFL deal....which I doubt (age and past PR time against him) and If we can fit Rose and Darby in I think we are fine...I know team will do all they have to in order to retain them, and Taylor will be back here if team see's another year in him, and pretty sure Jones is a lock to be back...He wont break the bank with this contract.

Also I am sure Maston will come on value coming off injury, and it wouldn't shock me to see Sayles back here next year too

Hopefully Jones comes back.

Nichols is 27 and coming off a great year. This may be his last kick at the can but I coild see someone bringing him to camp. 

I think Sayles signed a multi-year deal in BC? Could be wrong. I remember it being 3 years.

Edit:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/3downnation.com/2021/01/09/former-bombers-defensive-back-marcus-sayles-signs-with-b-c-lions-report/amp/

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

ahhh...I thought he was on a 1 yr....scratch him...but wasnt a need anyway....we have several inhouse who could/should be back..I know team is high on Houston...lives here still too I think

I took his 3 year signing as a bit of a slap to the face. 

He kind of gave the vibe that he never really wanted to live here. That is fine, everybody isn't going to love it. But, I have no real care if he ever comes back. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

He kind of gave the vibe that he never really wanted to live here. That is fine, everybody isn't going to love it. But, I have no real care if he ever comes back. 

yup...possibly...and hampers his cup hopes out there haha

35 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I view his contract as more of a desperation move by BC as opposed to a slight from Sayles. You cant blame him for following the term/money. I highly doubt Walters was offering a 3 year deal and even if he was guaranteed BC was offering more. Theyve been trying to buy wins for a few years now and over paying left and right.

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I view his contract as more of a desperation move by BC as opposed to a slight from Sayles. You cant blame him for following the term/money. I highly doubt Walters was offering a 3 year deal and even if he was guaranteed BC was offering more. Theyve been trying to buy wins for a few years now and over paying left and right.

You pretty much have to offer them 2 or 3 years to lure them away. We did it before we could generate our talent. Like on the football field, where one strength help feeds another pushing the whole team up, it's the same with FA - the better you are as a team and org, the better you can retain your talent. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

You pretty much have to offer them 2 or 3 years to lure them away. We did it before we could generate our talent. Like on the football field, where one strength help feeds another pushing the whole team up, it's the same with FA - the better you are as a team and org, the better you can retain your talent. 

Agreed. I think he would have been more than happy to stay here. Just a case of BC offering more term/money.

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

No thanks to Judge. Besides being a bit of a wingnut he is overpaid for his production. I wouldn't want him in our locker room.

Richardson is an asset for sure. However, we have a TON of assets we need to sign and he quite frankly is probably the most expendable of what will be our big ticket D items. If he wants to stay on the low side of market value I'm all for it, but I don't think we can realistically afford him without potentially losing a player that would be a far greater loss. 

Can we lose Rose? That would be a much bigger problem...could we lose Biggie? Our defence would take a huge hit. Can we lose BA....our middle would be suspect. Can we lose Richardson? We give up 30 yards a game more in rushing and little to no difference in points against. Just saying. I'm not trying to dump on RIchardson but his loss, IF we have to lose someone, represents the least problems.

He wasn't over paid in ssk. And in tor he was under used. But coming off that year he could come cheap. And he's good on teams. 

If you think stove is easier to replace than a db then man idk what to say. Stove biggie and ba are the hardest to replace on our d. I don't think you get the nature of what he does. Maybe 2 other guys in the league can do what he does. 1 was injured and might not be able to do it any more and neither are as good as stove. 

We replaced 2 excellent dbs in Sayles and rose with rookies in 2021. When stove was out we got thrashed in the run game. 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I recall being 8-1 before RIchardson came back too. Can't play that card.

What you're missing is we always have a nose. We only replace a guy when we already have another. Poop Bryant Nevis stove. And stove is the best of them by a mile. 

No stove no ship. We replaced 3 starting dbs from 2019. 

Fogg was one of many guys who stuck for vet reasons. Don't forget he was a turn over and td machine. Also if you look back we cut dbs instead that started for other teams and ppl wished it was him instead. 

The difference in our d is that ba lets biggie and the dbs do more. Stove lets biggie play mlb. No stove and we play that terrible 5 man front. 

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He wasn't over paid in ssk. And in tor he was under used. But coming off that year he could come cheap. And he's good on teams. 

If you think stove is easier to replace than a db then man idk what to say. Stove biggie and ba are the hardest to replace on our d. I don't think you get the nature of what he does. Maybe 2 other guys in the league can do what he does. 1 was injured and might not be able to do it any more and neither are as good as stove. 

We replaced 2 excellent dbs in Sayles and rose with rookies in 2021. When stove was out we got thrashed in the run game. 

If you think that getting a 100 yards average on the ground against us with a depleted LBer crew is damaging you are wrong. We gave teams the run so that they couldn't pass or score on us. I mean you say we got gashed on the run but the difference between Stove in the lineup and Stove out of the lineup was 30 yards rushing per game. Insignificant really and even less so when you factor in that the CFL is a PASSING game, and in Stove's absence we were the number one defence defending the pass in just about every category but most importantly a HISTORIC low for points scored against us. I'm not saying Stove is easy to replace, all I am saying is that he is the easiest to replace without hampering our pass defence and that is our bread and butter. Could we find lightning in the bottle and find two all star level DBs again this year....maybe but even with our excellent recruitment I wouldn't take that chance. We've lost Alford already and losing Rose or Alexander would be devastating.

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

What you're missing is we always have a nose. We only replace a guy when we already have another. Poop Bryant Nevis stove. And stove is the best of them by a mile. 

No stove no ship. We replaced 3 starting dbs from 2019. 

Fogg was one of many guys who stuck for vet reasons. Don't forget he was a turn over and td machine. Also if you look back we cut dbs instead that started for other teams and ppl wished it was him instead. 

The difference in our d is that ba lets biggie and the dbs do more. Stove lets biggie play mlb. No stove and we play that terrible 5 man front. 

What? You are suggesting we go to a 5 man front without Stove? Didn't happen when he was out this year and won't happen now if we lose him. I am unclear where you even get that idea from?  I don't want to lose Stove he's a helluva player but you are way overselling him. Our defence would be just fine without him if it comes to that.

Edited by GCn20

18 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The only true “must” is Collaros. Of all the positions we need to fill, his loss at QB would cripple us. 

I don't know where Collaros would potentially go if he didn't sign with the Bombers, but worse case scenario Zach retires. Walters signs Trevor Harris and he rides the B-train to first place in the West. Playoffs results are too much of a crap shoot to predict, but one win and a G.C. appearance would not be that difficult to imagine.  Harris is a good QB, and playing with the best players would make him even better. 

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't know where Collaros would potentially go if he didn't sign with the Bombers, but worse case scenario Zach retires. Walters signs Trevor Harris and he rides the B-train to first place in the West. Playoffs results are too much of a crap shoot to predict, but one win and a G.C. appearance would not be that difficult to imagine.  Harris is a good QB, and playing with the best players would make him even better. 

Collaros would be a huge loss and it would be tougher to win without him, but it's certainly doable. Heck we just about got there with Nichols.

15 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If for some reason Collaros isn't back, I'd take Dane Evans over Trevor Harris.

14 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

No thanks on Masoli. I would very much like the Bombers to sign Evans. But I doubt that happens.

If Collaros and the Bombers can't come to that agreement then I'm all for signing Dane. He's proven he can get there or help get you to the dance but still can't get over that hump,this team could get him there.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

If for some reason Collaros isn't back, I'd take Dane Evans over Trevor Harris.

You would end up in a bidding war to sign Evans, were Trevor Harris would gladly hand over his left nut to line up behind the Bombers O-line.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

27 minutes ago, JCon said:

Maybe the Ticats splash big cash at Zach? How much would you be willing to spend of our cap space for Collaros? 

I don't think for a second he would do this but... 

What is he said, $600k, no less? $100k signing bonus. 

Then I say, "Hello Dane Evans."

I like Zach, want him to be our QB but if that is the ask, I try to land Evans-Masoli-Harris at a likely lower cost and use the savings elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Then I say, "Hello Dane Evans."

I like Zach, want him to be our QB but if that is the ask, I try to land Evans-Masoli-Harris at a likely lower cost and use the savings elsewhere.

I have no problem making Zach the highest paid QB, he's earned it. But if his ask is beyond reason(like 600K+) and he wont budge, then by all means turn your attention to Evans. 

10 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I have no problem making Zach the highest paid QB, he's earned it. But if his ask is beyond reason(like 600K+) and he wont budge, then by all means turn your attention to Evans. 

Gotta think Toronto or Hamilton would throw their wallets at Collaros at the first sniff of news of the Bombers and Zach at a crossroads. Sign Dane to Zach's old co tract numbers and use the extra coin to try and lure someone in like Burnham.

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

No QB should make more than 550 - and I don't want to pay Zach that.

I don't think there's an arm in the league that actually warrents more than 450 right now - though I know Zach will make us go higher than that,

I mean Fajardo is making what, 515K? Based on that market setting(thanks knobs to the left), getting Collaros at the 525K-550K is reasonable IMO. I'd be hesitant to go beyond that.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti