2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

If we do end up having to search outside or Burnahms camp then id like to see us find a real burner,had guys who could run intermediate and short routes with ease but haven't had a receiver who blows the top of a d in a while.

Edited by Nolby

33 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Losing Lawler would suck... but a couple years ago people would have said Lawler would be no big loss. Now that Lapo has left you will see receivers develop here a lot better. 

I mean you're right... but to be fair... Lawler was highly touted as far back as training camp posts. He was a stand out then and it was only a matter of time before he broke out to be a legitimate say top 10 wr in the cfl.

Hell I remember doing tc write ups his rookie year and him being a big stand out. And I'm certainly no football scout. It was an obvious dead give away talent 

Sure lapo was conservative but still the writing was on the wall with lawler. Consider me in the camp of talent like his doesn't just show up on a cfl roster every year. Receivers may make statements more frequently in a buck pierce offense, but don't kid yourself. Lawlers quite a bit ahead of the curve 

Edited by CodyT

19 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Our opponents ran for 100+ yards against us in 4 of the 7 games Richardson missed. The rest of the season it happened once. A lot of the time teams just couldnt establish the run against us because they were down by so much early. We were hovering around 6 yards per carry against which was last in the CFL for a good chunk of last season. If we lose Richardson and arnt as dominate offensively it could be a whole different season in 2022. Teams knew we could be run on but just didnt have the time to keep at it. My point being Richardson is more valuable than a lot of people think. I like Sayles and he was good but he looks more like a DE to me. Doesnt have the size to be a run stuffing difference maker in the middle like Richardson.

Defence is a team game, and a team net sum. I could honestly care less how many rushing yards we gave up in an 8 game span we were surrendering less than 15 points per game and a mind boggling 2nd half defence efficiency of less than a TD surrendered. I guess if you wanna pick a number and blame one guy in a 12 man group for that number being less than stellar than sure....have at it....Sayles sucks. But that is a pretty narrow view that lacks a lot of context imo. I am not suggesting Stove isn't the better DT, he is, but guys are trying to lobby pretty hard that there was something wrong with our defence when he wasn't in the lineup and I think that is some pretty revisionist history. I will take a defence that averages less 13 points per game surrendered, and just over 5 pts average in the 2nd half, and surrenders a 100 yards rushing on average every day, and twice on Sunday. We're really splitting hairs when we are calling any part of probably the most stifling defence in the modern era as being problematic, and it is especially insane to suggest that the fault lies at one players feet over an 8 game span. 

I really strongly believe that our defence allowed teams a bit of rushing in order to prevent the pass, and to limit scoring. The score sheet I think strongly indicates that whether intentional or not this definitely was the case.

People are speculating about the potential impact of losing Stove. My opinion is that for half the season we were without him and our defence was stellar. That's the bottom line imo. There are other guys yet to be signed that I am not as confident we could afford to lose

Edited by GCn20

20 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Defence is a team game, and a team net sum. I could honestly care less how many rushing yards we gave up in an 8 game span we were surrendering less than 15 points per game and a mind boggling 2nd half defence efficiency of less than a TD surrendered. I guess if you wanna pick a number and blame one guy in a 12 man group for that number being less than stellar than sure....have at it....Sayles sucks. But that is a pretty narrow view that lacks a lot of context imo. I am not suggesting Stove isn't the better DT, he is, but guys are trying to lobby pretty hard that there was something wrong with our defence when he wasn't in the lineup and I think that is some pretty revisionist history. I will take a defence that averages less 13 points per game surrendered, and just over 5 pts average in the 2nd half, and surrenders a 100 yards rushing on average every day, and twice on Sunday. We're really splitting hairs when we are calling any part of probably the most stifling defence in the modern era as being problematic, and it is especially insane to suggest that the fault lies at one players feet over an 8 game span. 

I really strongly believe that our defence allowed teams a bit of rushing in order to prevent the pass, and to limit scoring. The score sheet I think strongly indicates that whether intentional or not this definitely was the case.

People are speculating about the potential impact of losing Stove. My opinion is that for half the season we were without him and our defence was stellar. That's the bottom line imo. There are other guys yet to be signed that I am not as confident we could afford to lose

No one said Sayles sucks. Like another poster mentioned, he's more of a hybrid DE who just doesnt have the body/strength of Richardson so by nature isnt the run stuffer Stove is. Use the eye test, stats, whatever you want, it cant be debated that Richardson in the lineup made a huge difference for our run defense. Not to be forgotten is the fact that he routinely ties up two blockers freeing up the two Jeff's to do their damage more easily. Losing him may have a trickle down effect on those guys too. We waltzed through the season pounding the league so our run game issues without Stove didnt hurt us. My point is Richardson is a huge asset on D and it will suffer if he leaves, especially so if our offense isnt as potent next season and teams can stick with us longer.

3 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

No one said Sayles sucks. Like another poster mentioned, he's more of a hybrid DE who just doesnt have the body/strength of Richardson so by nature isnt the run stuffer Stove is. Use the eye test, stats, whatever you want, it cant be debated that Richardson in the lineup made a huge difference for our run defense. Not to be forgotten is the fact that he routinely ties up two blockers freeing up the two Jeff's to do their damage more easily. Losing him may have a trickle down effect on those guys too. We waltzed through the season pounding the league so our run game issues without Stove didnt hurt us. My point is Richardson is a huge asset on D and it will suffer if he leaves, especially so if our offense isnt as potent next season and teams can stick with us longer.

That and we routinely drop multiple linebackers into coverage. And it's easier to do that if the d-line can make the stop

16 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Getting another NFL look

I'm glad for him. If he keeps up how he finished the season he will make the nfl. If not we will be Happy to have him back. 

My big concern with this potential loss is his rotation spot as a ni. Briggs and Gauthier were over extended last year. They left us exposed too frequently in the run game. Those two have no chance of beating a block. They get swallowed up and pushed out of gaps too easily. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I'm glad for him. If he keeps up how he finished the season he will make the nfl. If not we will be Happy to have him back. 

My big concern with this potential loss is his rotation spot as a ni. Briggs and Gauthier were over extended last year. They left us exposed too frequently in the run game. Those two have no chance of beating a block. They get swallowed up and pushed out of gaps too easily. 

Maybe we should be focusing on an under-the-radar rotational Canadian player in FA? Seems like a shrewd pickup Walters would make. Just can't let our Canadian depth get depleted too much

Just now, BBlink said:

Maybe we should be focusing on an under-the-radar rotational Canadian player in FA? Seems like a shrewd pickup Walters would make. Just can't let our Canadian depth get depleted too much

Yeah that'd be huge. I'd take cam judge but he wouldn't come cheap. And kyrie had a monster performance in the post season. 

Wouldn't be bad to have more 2 saftey looks with the Hallett boys drawing in. 

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah that'd be huge. I'd take cam judge but he wouldn't come cheap. And kyrie had a monster performance in the post season. 

Wouldn't be bad to have more 2 saftey looks with the Hallett boys drawing in. 

No thanks to Judge. Besides being a bit of a wingnut he is overpaid for his production. I wouldn't want him in our locker room.

44 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Richardson is an asset for sure. However, we have a TON of assets we need to sign and he quite frankly is probably the most expendable of what will be our big ticket D items. If he wants to stay on the low side of market value I'm all for it, but I don't think we can realistically afford him without potentially losing a player that would be a far greater loss. 

Can we lose Rose? That would be a much bigger problem...could we lose Biggie? Our defence would take a huge hit. Can we lose BA....our middle would be suspect. Can we lose Richardson? We give up 30 yards a game more in rushing and little to no difference in points against. Just saying. I'm not trying to dump on RIchardson but his loss, IF we have to lose someone, represents the least problems.

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No thanks to Judge. Besides being a bit of a wingnut he is overpaid for his production. I wouldn't want him in our locker room.

Richardson is an asset for sure. However, we have a TON of assets we need to sign and he quite frankly is probably the most expendable of what will be our big ticket D items. If he wants to stay on the low side of market value I'm all for it, but I don't think we can realistically afford him without potentially losing a player that would be a far greater loss. 

Can we lose Rose? That would be a much bigger problem...could we lose Biggie? Our defence would take a huge hit. Can we lose BA....our middle would be suspect. Can we lose Richardson? We give up 30 yards a game more in rushing and little to no difference in points against. Just saying. I'm not trying to dump on RIchardson but his loss, IF we have to lose someone, represents the least problems.

I'd honestly prefer to lose Rose over Richardson. Walters has proven he can find DB's and there are tons of them out there. We legit had 30+ in camp last season. Beastly DT's are much harder to come by.

5 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I'd honestly prefer to lose Rose over Richardson. Walters has proven he can find DB's and there are tons of them out there. We legit had 30+ in camp last season. Beastly DT's are much harder to come by.

When was the last time you remember us having crappy DTs?  I can remember very clearly when the last time we had a crappy secondary was. Winston Rose's do not grow on trees. We are only 3 years removed from Kevin Fogg being our shut down corner. Let's not forget that.

Well if Kongbo is gone for a bit, and I believe this is his last chance to stick there for at least a year, maybe 2, then his Canadian vet money easily can cover keeping Stove, so it's a win in that regard, as I would think whatever Kongbo would have been valued at outweighs what Stove would command...I think we good there, and I am sure if we reach out to a Canadian defender in FA, They won't be opposed to coming here

There are several Canadian guys available in free -agency that we could sign at linebacker/dline to rotate in as that extra Canadian on defense to allow us to off-set that ratio rotation we had going on...

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

When was the last time you remember us having crappy DTs?  I can remember very clearly when the last time we had a crappy secondary was. Winston Rose's do not grow on trees. We are only 3 years removed from Kevin Fogg being our shut down corner. Let's not forget that.

There is a difference between ok DT's and game changing DT's which is what Richardson is. And i seem to recall being 9-1 before Rose came back last season. One could argue our secondary was BETTER last season than 2019. Rose is awesome but IMO Richardson would be a bigger loss to our defense.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

There is a difference between ok DT's and game changing DT's which is what Richardson is. And i seem to recall being 9-1 before Rose came back last season. One could argue our secondary was BETTER last season than 2019. Rose is awesome but IMO Richardson would be a bigger loss to our defense.

I recall being 8-1 before RIchardson came back too. Can't play that card.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I recall being 8-1 before RIchardson came back too. Can't play that card.

Fair enough, but from the get-go we didnt have any issues with our pass defense last season. Alford + Nichols more than made up for the loss of Rose/Sayles. That wasnt the case with our run defense when Richardson was missing.

happy for Kongbo and any others that get their chance to make some big NFL bucks. 

Re: Kolankowski, I'd love to hear from the OL coach as to how they view his progression so far, and how they see him going into camp this year. The obvious answer is that he's the new 6th OL that rotates in more frequently, but I'm curious if he's potentially overtaking Gray for a starting spot. Just out of curiosity.....

Pretty sure Jones is needing some off-season surgery, and if it didn't require it, pretty sure he isn't able to do workouts right now....Fully expect him back, and Taylor if we need/want him

Nichols is back if he doesn't get an NFL deal....which I doubt (age and past PR time against him) and If we can fit Rose and Darby in I think we are fine...I know team will do all they have to in order to retain them, and Taylor will be back here if team see's another year in him, and pretty sure Jones is a lock to be back...He wont break the bank with this contract.

Also I am sure Maston will come on value coming off injury, and it wouldn't shock me to see Sayles back here next year too