2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Nichols is signed...if he doesnt get NFL deal..I think he is done there..age...and has some PR time already, Sayles is back as well, and I know Darby loved it here, and expect him back...same with Rose and Jones, so the loss of Alford is easily absorbed, and we also have Maston who will be back, and prob on a team friendly deal coming off injury.

Richardson tho...only so many bucks to go around when we still need to ink Biggie..BA and Rose...he may be the casualty which would suck, but Biggie and the Jeff's over him I can live with...I like our Dtackle depth if those rookies are all back

I don't even want to think about losing stove. I'd sooner see Sayles walker and rose gone. We dont have another guy to play nose idk how many guys in the league could fill his role. Maybe drake Nevis would be cheap. 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I don't think there is as big a difference between Stove and Sayles as you might think. Nevis was head and shoulders better against the run than Stove in his rookie year. Run stopping is usually the last thing a rookie DT becomes good at. There is a very real trajectory of run stopping improvement that Sayles underwent in 2021. His first few starts the Bombers got gashed pretty bad but after that the stats showed significant improvements over his final few starts against some very tough running backs. IF Sayles show improvement from year one to year two like Stove did than I don't expect much drop off at all. However, the best case scenario would be that we re-sign Stove...definitely.

The difference is that they aren't remotely the same type of player. Sayles who I think is phenomenal and ready for a massive year isn't a nose. 

Sayles plays a 3 tech. Out side shoulder of the guard is his alignment. Stove plays on the center. This stagger gives us great ability to collapse the pocket and helps our layered pressure. One de going wide on a deep Pass rush angle and the other rushing shallow. This obviously isn't what we do all the time we rotate guys and fronts a good bit. But this is the bread and butter that opens the rest up. 

Sayles is like a hybrid de dt. He pass rushes from inside position. We some times use a 3 de front usually with willy in this role. This both closes running gaps and collapses the pocket or pushes it back onto the qbs lap. 

Stove goes up the middle into a double team virtually every snap he plays. Some times he knocks his man down soo fast its more like 2 1 on 1s. No one here has that kind of bull rush. Rose and walker are similar tool sets to Sayles. 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

We weren't dead last but it was an issue. However, this was compounded by two really poor games against Toronto early in the season. They ran the rock at will against us and it really wasn't on Sayles. They were picking heavily on Jessie Briggs who was in at WIL those two games.

When Rocquemore came back and replaced Briggs, Gauthier, and Brown at WIL our run defence signficantly improved even though Sayles was still starting. I would say the combination of the loss of Stove AND the rotating door at WIL and SAM early in the season were the factors that led to our run defence being poor over the first 6 games.

Rocq hardly played d after coming back. He mostly played teams. It wasn't till the play offs we limited the Briggs and Gauthier sub package. With those guys at lber and no Stove we got our lunch eaten inside. 

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

In a world where we could only keep 2/3 of Biggie, Stove and BA. Biggie and BA would be the two to keep.

In that world I'd rather lose one of the ends. Stove ba and biggie are what makes our defence work. It's like demski Harris and collaros on offense. 

You can find a guy plays wr rb or qb. But trying to find a qb with collaros mobility Harris blocking and catching and demskis blocking and versatility is as hard as finding a great qb. 

Finding a nose who can play 2 gaps and eat double teams alive while also having the range to run down plays to the side line is beyond hard.

Drake Nevis was and maybe is an excellent nose. But he couldn't get off tackle play 2 gaps or get after the qb like Stove. Stove is just 25. Give him a full year in 2022 and he's easily the most dominant inside line man in decades. He's a Larry Allen level freak. 

Drake rotating in with stove playing 3 again would be deadly. No guard in the league can block him 1 on 1. 

Stan will be back for sure....Couture and Desjarlais are the question marks. Hopefully it's just Desjarlais to the NFL, and then it's just a matter of shifting one of the guards to LG from RG. Gray and Neuf normally play on the right side, but I'm sure one can move left. We've still got that kid in the states that we drafted last year, and then Walters will draft an OL in the 1st round again this year, so the pipeline will continue a steady flow....

28 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So who are we hoping for next: Biggie, BA, Collaros, Bryant, Lawler, Stove, Duke Williams to the Riders for $250,000, A Fajardo raise from $512,000?

Yes. Any and all of that. 

29 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He is coming back.

I would think so too. Guy like that at the top of his craft on a dominant team. Ride on till you can't. That said I do hope he calls it quits at a time when he still has a very high quality of life remaining. 

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Stan will be back for sure....Couture and Desjarlais are the question marks. Hopefully it's just Desjarlais to the NFL, and then it's just a matter of shifting one of the guards to LG from RG. Gray and Neuf normally play on the right side, but I'm sure one can move left. We've still got that kid in the states that we drafted last year, and then Walters will draft an OL in the 1st round again this year, so the pipeline will continue a steady flow....

It's all gonna come down to nfl combine for dobson. If he gets the inv he will be drafted and gone for the year. If he some how doesn't get the inv or gets banged up and limited we get him in camp. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with another good ol in this draft too. The mafia know how to identify and develop guys that will fit the system. They don't even need to be high picks. They've turned up some good ol with depth picks. 

19 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So who are we hoping for next: Biggie, BA, Collaros, Bryant, Lawler, Stove, Duke Williams to the Riders for $250,000, A Fajardo raise from $512,000?

Couture, B.A,. Bailey, Darby, Woli & Collaros this week....

next week early Bryant, then Rose, Oliveira, Biggie, Briggs, Gray & Benson

36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Do any of you know how Liam Dobson's season went for him this past year? Will he be available for us this upcoming season, would be my question. I really can't find much on him.....

Geoff Gray will be the logically choice to slide into Desjarlais position (he's paid his dues). Chris Kolankowski has been with the team this past year & resigned, correct?

Agree, O-line pic in either the first or second draft round make sense, but think we need to think of a defensive tackle as a pic for down the road as an early pic as well. Just my two cents....

15 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

Do any of you know how Liam Dobson's season went for him this past year? Will he be available for us this upcoming season, would be my question. I really can't find much on him.....

Geoff Gray will be the logically choice to slide into Desjarlais position (he's paid his dues). Chris Kolankowski has been with the team this past year & resigned, correct?

Agree, O-line pic in either the first or second draft round make sense, but think we need to think of a defensive tackle as a pic for down the road as an early pic as well. Just my two cents....

He moved around. Started at both guard spots c and rt a couple games. They didn't have a great team. They ran rb by committee. And none of em were very good. 

He did play very well though as much as a single good ol can on an average or worse line. He was honorary mention on the all sunbelt team. Which is pretty tough to do as an ol on a bad offense. 

Like I said earlier depends on the combine. The guy is a generational athlete at ol. If he gets to the nfl combine healthy he will put up crazy numbers and crush guys 1 on 1. He's a work out warrior. If he doesnt then we got a great chance of getting him this year. 

He also dropped 10lbs.  He could probably drop another 10 but he's soo quick and explosive he doesn't need to in order to stick. 

He only had like 1.5 pan cakes per game vs the crazy sum he had in Maine. I'm pretty sure his main knock downs would be a record if that's tracked. 

17 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The only true “must” is Collaros. Of all the positions we need to fill, his loss at QB would cripple us.

Unless there is someone big available at FA then yes I agree. I've not thought about losing Collaros much because it just seems so dark of a timeline

22 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

😟

Atlanta needs all the help they can get at receiver. The cupboard is bare. If Lawler ends up signing does Walters take a run at Burnham??

Everyone would love Burnham

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

😟

Atlanta needs all the help they can get at receiver. The cupboard is bare. If Lawler ends up signing does Walters take a run at Burnham??

Genuine question,I know Burnham is a top 3 receiver whether he's got tons of yards,TDs or not. He's clutch,reliable,rock solid hands but he's turning 32,do we still break the bank(if Lawler is as good as gone) or do we look elsewhere?

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

Unless there is someone big available at FA then yes I agree. I've not thought about losing Collaros much because it just seems so dark of a timeline

Everyone would love Burnham

Burnham should be crawling back to us after refusing our offer last year and having to spend a year in his chosen hell.

29 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Genuine question,I know Burnham is a top 3 receiver whether he's got tons of yards,TDs or not. He's clutch,reliable,rock solid hands but he's turning 32,do we still break the bank(if Lawler is as good as gone) or do we look elsewhere?

Losing Lawler would leave a huge hole. He and Collaros were magic together and Zach loves him. I like Bailey and our other receivers but none of them can replace what Lawler brings. I think Walters would need to look at FA's if Lawler leaves. I dont see an in house replacement. I wouldnt throw the bank at Burnham but maybe you can get him at a discount with the enticement of a championship. He's on the wrong side of 30 but i think Burnham still has a couple years of elite play left in him.