2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

7 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Bighill isnt going anywhere. He lives here year round with his family and already has an offseason/after football career in place here. Its just a matter of time and numbers.

Absolutely,he's 33,a 2 year contract is what I'm thinking. He's still playing at  the highest level,it'll be retirement after the Bombers.

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Bighill isnt going anywhere. He lives here year round with his family and already has an offseason/after football career in place here. Its just a matter of time and numbers.

I was told on here that he's not committed to Winnipeg and that he could find a similar off season job anywhere else in the country.   

I'm thinking he's staying here and wouldn't leave the city and start a new career and relocate his family over a 20 k raise on a lesser team. 

4 hours ago, Rod Black said:

This afternoon the analyst on the FCS division 1 football Championship game mentions…”the first time I ever saw a cup snake was at Winnipeg -home of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers”. The mention was because the NDSU fans were building a beer snake as the team had just scored their fifth TD to take the lead 35 - 0  over Montana State. Don’t know the analyst and can’t find his name. 

Former Bomber Jay Walker was on the 1998 team

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I was told on here that he's not committed to Winnipeg and that he could find a similar off season job anywhere else in the country.   

I'm thinking he's staying here and wouldn't leave the city and start a new career and relocate his family over a 20 k raise on a lesser team. 

He just spent more than a year having a custom house built. He’s not going anywhere. 

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yeah, i mean im sure our offer will be fair. At this stage in his career is he really going to uproot his family, take his kids away from school and friends, and leave a great locker room with a great chance at a 3rd straight Grey Cup, to go play in another city for an extra 20K or so? Not a chance.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

29 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Who told you that? He loves it here.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Who told you that? He loves it here.

His own words.

“That doesn’t mean I can’t still pursue that career somewhere else, because I can,” the 33-year-old said. “Just always easier to stay where you are. I have to take a serious look at if I’m going to play four more years, what are those four years going to look like?

“You just have to take a very serious look at the time you have left and make the most of it.”

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/bombers-notes-thisll-be-harder-than-it-was-keeping-the-beatles-together-bighill-deserves-the-biggest-raise-jeffcoat-and-jefferson-would-love-to-stay-pierce-hopes-theyre-all-back

Edited by bigg jay

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

His own words.

“That doesn’t mean I can’t still pursue that career somewhere else, because I can,” the 33-year-old said. “Just always easier to stay where you are. I have to take a serious look at if I’m going to play four more years, what are those four years going to look like?

“You just have to take a very serious look at the time you have left and make the most of it.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/winnipegsun.com/sports/football/bombers-notes-thisll-be-harder-than-it-was-keeping-the-beatles-together-bighill-deserves-the-biggest-raise-jeffcoat-and-jefferson-would-love-to-stay-pierce-hopes-theyre-all-back/wcm/c5023fee-dd42-4a18-8410-f0f47781cb40/amp/

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/bombers-notes-thisll-be-harder-than-it-was-keeping-the-beatles-together-bighill-deserves-the-biggest-raise-jeffcoat-and-jefferson-would-love-to-stay-pierce-hopes-theyre-all-back

So because he didn't tell the media that he would only play in Winnipeg that means he doesn't want to be here?

He will get paid the same as Willie and everyone will be happy.

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

So because he didn't tell the media that he would only play in Winnipeg that means he doesn't want to be here?

I take his comments as more of a negotiation tactic than anything - just letting people know it's not a slam dunk. 

He's also made comments about his paycut was him betting on himself after a down season (for him) in 2019.  After the season he just had, I'd say he won that bet... Just a matter of how much it'll payoff.

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

No, just that he knows his value and he knows the value of Winnipeg. He's balancing two things but won't take an unnecessary discount. 

Just now, bigg jay said:

I take his comments as more of a negotiation tactic than anything - just letting people know it's not a slam dunk. 

He's also made comments about his paycut was him betting on himself after a down season (for him) in 2019.  After the season he just had, I'd say he won that bet... Just a matter of how much it'll payoff.

Agreed.

He is not an idiot. He knows he is worth a fair number. 

He will get it or we are ******* up.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

No, just that he knows his value and he knows the value of Winnipeg. He's balancing two things but won't take an unnecessary discount. 

He shouldn't.

First beer snake I saw was during cricket. The Ozzies have some CRAZY long beer snakes. But, you can have matches that last 12 hours in a day, so the opportunity to build is incredible. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

Agreed.

He is not an idiot. He knows he is worth a fair number. 

He will get it or we are ******* up.

He shouldn't.

He won't. And, I don't think Walters would expect him to. 

23 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Walters was not wrong the other day when he said if everyone wants fair market value, it's going to be tough.  

Right, but Bighiill also knows that there is value staying here in Winnipeg. He could make more upfront elsewhere but balances that with the value of staying in Winnipeg. He'll need to to take a discount to earn more money in the longer term. 

18 hours ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

It's great to finally see us signing back some of the cornerstones that lead us to two straight Grey Cups. One thing I was trying to do was find a consolidated list of who we have signed for next season's camp that would update as new signings came in. I'm obviously following our new signings as they happen but I'm not 100% sure on which players have contracts that didn't expire for 2022. I had read that we had just one of these on offence (Demski) but I'm not sure about defence. Since I couldn't find one I thought I would do a very simplistic version right here that we could potentially update as players get signed. Something like this:

Blue Bombers under contract for 2022 camp/season:

Offence:

QB -

RB -

REC - Demski*, Blake Jackson

O-Line - Hardrick

FB/TE - 

Defence:

D-Line - Thomas*, Jefferson, Jeffcoat

LB -

DB/S - 

Special Teams

Kicker -

Punter -

Other -

* Denotes non-import

This is probably not a complete list and I was hoping people could fill in the blanks on who I am missing. Either that or post a link to somewhere that has the info already. Thanks!

This is my unofficial list:

QB: Dru Brown  A

RB: Kyle Borsa  N

WR: Kelvin McKnight  A

Blake Jackson A

Nic Demski N

B O'Leary -Orange N

OL: Jermarcus Hardrick  A

Drew Richmond  A

Jalen Burks  A

K: Marc Liegghio  N 

Ali Mourtada  A

DL: Jake Thomas  N

Ricky Walker  A

JoJo Wicker  A

Willie Jefferson  A

Jackson Jeffcoat A 

Casey Sayles A

Cedric Wilcots  A

LB: Kyrie Wilson A

T Gaskill-Cadwallader N

Robbie Lowes  N

Les Maruo  G

DB: Dee Alford  A

Deatrick Nichols  A

Marwin Evans  A

Demerio Houston  A

Mike Hampton  A 

Malcolm Thompson  A

Nick Hallet N

Noah Hallet  N

Redha Kramdi  N

Edited by WinnipegGordo

17 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Former Bomber Jay Walker was on the 1998 team

Further more, Jay Walker wore number 8 as a QB for the blue. Apparently he threw for four td passes in 2 games. 

There are a couple kickers that are free agents in the event Castillo isn’t available. Big Bede (an acronym that suits the BB) and Lauther. 

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

Further more, Jay Walker wore number 8 as a QB for the blue. Apparently he threw for four td passes in 2 games. 

There are a couple kickers that are free agents in the event Castillo isn’t available. Big Bede (an acronym that suits the BB) and Lauther. 

Weird. Looking at his stats. He had 400 yards, 4 tds, completed 66 percent of his passes and zero interceptions and never played football again after that season. Does anyone know why his career ended so abruptly? I was too young at the time I couldn’t tell you anything about those late 90’s teams haha