2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

yup..we have depth to manage losses....I fully expected Desjarlais...so having Gray and ELI who could start for any team already around takes that sting away, and makes them easier to resign.

Same with DB's...we can still have solid core of returnees even if we lose both rookies, so resigning of Darby, Jones, Taylor...eases that pain...have to remember Darby can play either corner or halfback, and very well.....so if Maston is ready, and able...easy transition...I doubt we lose both DB's tho, and I think Alfords slight frame will not help him...but could be a one yr loss ala Rose...

So if we star a Rose Taylor BA Darby Jones secondary with Maston at sam...we be fine...we also could have Houston and Miller both back too..I assume they both on 2 yrs deals no?...rookies in the league? Or was Houston on IR/PR at end of yr...which is still a big nothing burger, and sure he an easy resign

Very astute point on Matson and his ability to fill a hole. Had forgotten about him as an in-house option. Provided he can return from injury fully repaired.

Then again, it feels like 90% of the league is at free agent status this year, so pretty much anyone is up for grabs right now if a hole needs filling. (Yes an exaggeration but boy lots of unsigned people). 

17 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

If we lost Lawler, I actually think Jake Weinke is worth going after.

He'd be very nice but he won't be cheap,as for us losing potentially Lawler,Nichols and Alford; I trust we will find replacements,Rose is back and likely to stay,they may not make the rosters down south as their talent pool is humungous. This means we may end up keeping Taylor even though he's a little older and we still have Mike Jones who was bumped out of the starting lineup. I won't ever question our top brass and their vision,Im not worried at all. I expect a little bit of a drop off defensively (it'll be tough to top this year's defense) but I expect lots of talent to be available to us and players that want to play here .

11 minutes ago, Nolby said:

He'd be very nice but he won't be cheap,as for us losing potentially Lawler,Nichols and Alford; I trust we will find replacements,Rose is back and likely to stay,they may not make the rosters down south as their talent pool is humungous. This means we may end up keeping Taylor even though he's a little older and we still have Mike Jones who was bumped out of the starting lineup. I won't ever question our top brass and their vision,Im not worried at all. I expect a little bit of a drop off defensively (it'll be tough to top this year's defense) but I expect lots of talent to be available to us and players that want to play here .

Taylor is a bit older..but in phenomenal shape...and played strong all yr....If he's back, and as good as last yr...I'm more than happy while one or two of the rookies test their luck for a yr down south..Nichols has had time too..so not sure what his PR eligibility left is...he may need to make a active roster, or be he's out

And a workout doesn't mean a contract offer...time will tell

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Taylor is a bit older..but in phenomenal shape...and played strong all yr....If he's back, and as good as last yr...I'm more than happy while one or two of the rookies test their luck for a yr down south..Nichols has had time too..so not sure what his PR eligibility left is...he may need to make a active roster, or be he's out

And a workout doesn't mean a contract offer...time will tell

Taylors age never made him a liability so age here in this case is literally just a number and I as well would be more than happy to keep him aboard.

Edited by Nolby

Losing Lawler would be a big loss, he’s not exactly old but he’ll be turning 28 by the time the season starts next year so maybe there’s a chance he’ll be back next season. But he was outstanding this season his hands were as steady as they come and I don’t think anyone else made as many tough second down catches as he did. 

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

YAY!!! I mean, they could still leave if they get a promotion, but it's good news for us. Someone is going to steal them at some point and they'll be better for it. 

I could see us losing Goveia at some point, but I get the impression that McManus is with us until he's let go or retires.  His scouting job allows him to keep living in the US (Florida, I think), and he's probably pretty comfortable there.  Goveia seems to have some aspirations to be a GM some day and the right fit will come along for him eventually.

What a great analogy from McManus:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/12/23/goveia-mcmanus-extended-2023/

“It’s like when you’re building a new house and you need a well and you have to find out where the water is,” McManus explained. “So, you’ve got holes all over the backyard trying to find out where the water is. But once you land that water and the pump gets going, it gets easier.