2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

So, he's not ready at all. Does Castillio punt?

But do you keep the guy around for his entire developmental time? Cameron famously got cut by 6 or 7 teams and didn't stick with us until he was 27 yo. 

Do we let Liegghio keep doing crappy punts for another season until he's "ready"?

I think I agree.

I think Liegghio has turned into a very good punter. There's a lot more to punting than distance. Directional punting and hang time are just or maybe even more important and I thought he was getting pretty good at that.

Just now, Jesse said:

Who did we have when Medlock was our starter?

Do teams normally have a bunch of kicking depth?

I certainly have no issues with PRing him, but does he want that?

2019 they had a global kicker on the roster. Before that they never had a K on the PR

40 minutes ago, coach17 said:

I think Liegghio has turned into a very good punter. There's a lot more to punting than distance. Directional punting and hang time are just or maybe even more important and I thought he was getting pretty good at that.

Right but Castillo punts too. Did Liegghio develop into a good punter? I would like to see some of the statistics, comparing him to others. 

I'm not sure what to do with Liegghio. Do we need to develop a kicker, if we can keep Castillo? 

4 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I didn't put it all on personal issues. It was one of several things mentioned.

I also did not say he should be handed the #2 spot. I said bring him back to compete for it.

He was given it in 2022. There was no competition at the #2 spot. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Right but Castillo punts too. Did Liegghio develop into a good punter? I would like to see some of the statistics, comparing him to others. 

I'm not sure what to do with Liegghio. Do we need to develop a kicker, if we can keep Castillo? 

You keep Legghio. And you keep Castillo. One punts. The other kicks. 

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don't want another Rene Paredes situation.

Not the same. We didn't look at Paredes at all really. We have a season worth of evaluation on Liegghio. Plus his leg strength is questionable and that is not likely to change. Reminds me a lot of Justin Palardy who is a far more apt comparable imo.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Don't change the conversation to something that is not even remotely comparable to next year.

We aren't talking about a non pre-season 2021. We are talking about a full pre-season 2022. 

It was perfectly reasonable to do what they did. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If the Bombers want to bring back McGuire I'm OK with that but it would be monumentally risky not to try upgrade at that position. He's a 3rd year guy, we should bring in a vet to either push him or unseat him at backup.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Not the same. We didn't look at Paredes at all really. We have a season worth of evaluation on Liegghio. Plus his leg strength is questionable and that is not likely to change. Reminds me a lot of Justin Palardy who is a far more apt comparable imo.

Disagree. He has a good leg. 

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

Disagree. He has a good leg. 

He struggled badly with distance on anything more than 40 yards and his KO average was the lowest in the league. Maybe he was holding something off to try get accuracy but he was short, way short, on multiple FGs that were not outside the range one would expect of a CFL kicker.

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

How did it cut costs? And it wasn't Ambrosie it was the CFLPA. If I remember correctly it was brought in to help spread the wealth instead of tying up salary on 3 qbs.

I'm not advocating for it. But blaming it on Ambrosie doesn't make sense.

I really think you need to rethink your post. Not carrying a qb on the roster means he gets PR money as he doesn't dress. This wasn't a CFLPA initiative. Why would they be in favour of cutting a qb position? Randy Ambrosie in conjunction with the BOG's brought in cuts to a third qb as well as coaches, scouting & admin cap. All have hurt the CFL. It's not 3 downs that has hurt the CFL, it's cutting salaries & positions in the wrong places. 

14 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Don't change the conversation to something that is not even remotely comparable to next year.

We aren't talking about a non pre-season 2021. We are talking about a full pre-season 2022. 

It was perfectly reasonable to do what they did. 

And at every other position too, right? 

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I really think you need to rethink your post. Not carrying a qb on the roster means he gets PR money as he doesn't dress. This wasn't a CFLPA initiative. Why would they be in favour of cutting a qb position? Randy Ambrosie in conjunction with the BOG's brought in cuts to a third qb as well as coaches, scouting & admin cap. All have hurt the CFL. It's not 3 downs that has hurt the CFL, it's cutting salaries & positions in the wrong places. 

The QB doesn't dress, that is right. But ANOTHER player does, and they get paid a game check. If I remember correctly the CFLPA was in favour of that change because it helped spread the money around on game day and didn't give it to someone who barely (if ever) plays a down. I'm not talking about changing downs/coaches etc. I'm talking about how the 3rd QB rule DOES NOTHING to save money. They money is still spent, just on other players...which was the original purpose of it happening (I'll try and find the article that talks about it)

Also the rule change is in the CBA which means the CLFPA HAD to agree to it.

Edited by Bigblue204

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And at every other position too, right? 

I am not going to do this.

I don't really get what you are going on about.

Nobody has said he should be handed the #2 spot next year.

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The QB doesn't dress, that is right. But ANOTHER player does, and they get paid a game check. If I remember correctly the CFLPA was in favour of that change because it helped spread the money around on game day and didn't give it to someone who barely (if ever) plays a down. I'm not talking about changing downs/coaches etc. I'm talking about how the 3rd QB rule DOES NOTHING to save money. They money is still spent, just on other players...which was the original purpose of it happening (I'll try and find the article that talks about it)

We also have CFL 2.0. We're lucky to have a German player who is developing into a very good DL in Thiadric Hanssen. Not many teams can say that as they used that position to bring in kickers & punters to circumvent losing a Canadian at the very least on special teams as a tackler or blocker. I think that rule will be with us until Randy Ambrosie is gone which isn't soon enough. 

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I am not going to do this.

I don't really get what you are going on about.

Nobody has said he should be handed the #2 spot next year.

Then why is your BP rising?? We just won back to back Grey Cups. Just relax. It's all good. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47rumwa5p6vibhx57f94

Edited by SpeedFlex27