2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

3 hours ago, Geebrr said:

His back up LT went out and he was under fire in a bad weather game.

Did he play good? No. Do I want to just walk away? No. 

Isn't he a fairly new first time dad as well? 

Dude had a lot going on. I want a better look

I have no problem with that but he was given the #2 spot this season & he needs to earn it. So, I'd like to see the Bombers sign another qb that he truly has to compete against. Other players have to earn their spots so should McGuire. Question: If Collaros had been injured in the West Final & McGuire came in & played the same way that he did in Montreal, would we be willing to cut him some slack had we lost? I doubt it. I expected a lot more from McGuire. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have no problem with that but he was given the #2 spot this season & he needs to earn it. So, I'd like to see the Bombers sign another qb that he truly has to compete against. Other players have to earn their spots so should McGuire. Question: If Collaros had been injured in the West Final & McGuire came in & played the same way that he did in Montreal, would we be willing to cut him some slack had we lost? I doubt it. I expected a lot more from McGuire. 

Honestly to me he's looked like Dominique Davis 2.0, has the right tools and on paper looks like a great QB, but just can't seem to put it all together.

9 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Honestly to me he's looked like Dominique Davis 2.0, has the right tools and on paper looks like a great QB, but just can't seem to put it all together.

Agree. The starting qbs in this league & the NFL all have to deal with personal & family issues. As well as distractions that are good & bad. You don't think Tom Brady had personal & family things going on during his career? MIke Reilly had to deal with the death of his Mother. Anthony Calvillo's wife had cancer & he played at a high level with a heavy heart.  Even if Stanley Bryant had played & that entire OL was intact wouldn't have made a difference. Weather is part of the game. McGuire wasn't ready to play. I thought he'd go out there & light it up. Nope. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's ridiculous for any of us to judge McGuire at this point. The ONLY thing we have to go on is the monsoon game in Montreal. We have no idea what he has or doesn't have. 

I'm not against McGuire coming back. I just want competition at the #2 position. Whether that's signing another young qb or bringing in a veteran backup. He needs to be pushed because of competition in order to get better. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

We really need to be able to carry 3 QBs without penalty. It's the only way to have a vet back up AND groom the next generation. 

I agree. Another stupid Randy Ambrosie initiative to cut costs that affecting play as well as scoring. A QB driven league & we can't have competent backups or develop young third stringers.

Yes lets dump on McGuire ignoring his pre season play 2 seasons ago where he looked perfectly fine.    Lets ignore the fact that the team has kept him and choose him for Bennett when he first arrived.  I'm sure his one game playing with back ups in terrible weather conditions completely overshadows the endless hours of time that the coaching staff has watched of him in practice.  

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Yes lets dump on McGuire ignoring his pre season play 2 seasons ago where he looked perfectly fine.    Lets ignore the fact that the team has kept him and choose him for Bennett when he first arrived.  I'm sure his one game playing with back ups in terrible weather conditions completely overshadows the endless hours of time that the coaching staff has watched of him in practice.  

I just said he shouldn't just be given the #2 QB position again. He needs to EARN it. Which also means that he'll be brought back.  

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Agree. The starting qbs in this league & the NFL all have to deal with personal & family issues. As well as distractions that are good & bad. You don't think Tom Brady had personal & family things going on during his career? MIke Reilly had to deal with the death of his Mother. Anthony Calvillo's wife had cancer & he played at a high level with a heavy heart.  Even if Stanley Bryant had played & that entire OL was intact wouldn't have made a difference. Weather is part of the game. McGuire wasn't ready to play. I thought he'd go out there & light it up. Nope. 

I didn't put it all on personal issues. It was one of several things mentioned.

I also did not say he should be handed the #2 spot. I said bring him back to compete for it.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I agree. He seemed to struggle with basic execution in that game. His accuracy was poor, and his reads were just as bad. I expect a first time starter to have happy feet and make some bad decisions/turnovers...that's a given. However, a guy with 2 years experience should have been able to come into the game and look decent in the short game at least. In my opinion, he folded under the Friday Night Lights and that is not a great characteristic to have in a player and it is not easy to coach that out of them.

Edited by GCn20

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I agree. Another stupid Randy Ambrosie initiative to cut costs that affecting play as well as scoring. A QB driven league & we can't have competent backups or develop young third stringers.

How did it cut costs? And it wasn't Ambrosie it was the CFLPA. If I remember correctly it was brought in to help spread the wealth instead of tying up salary on 3 qbs.

I'm not advocating for it. But blaming it on Ambrosie doesn't make sense.

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

How did it cut costs? And it wasn't Ambrosie it was the CFLPA. If I remember correctly it was brought in to help spread the wealth instead of tying up salary on 3 qbs.

I'm not advocating for it. But blaming it on Ambrosie doesn't make sense.

There are other costs beyond just straight payroll. 

But, I would say it's the commissioners job to to promote and make the game better. They are the advocate for the league and should be able to sway ownership/representatives to help make it better. The PA also wants the game to be better. 

I don't see how having fewer QBs makes the product better. You can't hide a good, developing QB, on the PR without the risk of him being scooped. 

11 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Like I have said before BC was doing this before this year. I would suspect teams would even if they could carry 3 QB will only carry two to save money.

But, BC took the gamble that Reilly, who was making a big percentage of their salary cap, would stay healthy. 

We ran with 3 and most teams did. 

I just wish it was up to the individual teams to make that decision and leave them the ability to dress 3 QBs. Technically, I know they can but it costs them a DI.

30 minutes ago, JCon said:

There are other costs beyond just straight payroll. 

But, I would say it's the commissioners job to to promote and make the game better. They are the advocate for the league and should be able to sway ownership/representatives to help make it better. The PA also wants the game to be better. 

I don't see how having fewer QBs makes the product better. You can't hide a good, developing QB, on the PR without the risk of him being scooped. 

What other costs? And how does having one less qb on the game day roster save money? They still dressed a player and that player still got paid. Which is what this "rule" was about. It wasn't about spending less, just about spending less on QBs. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I just said he shouldn't just be given the #2 QB position again. He needs to EARN it. Which also means that he'll be brought back.  

We had Dru Brown on the roster and will obviously bring in other QBs for training camp.

You're fighting an argument against yourself.

That said, I was disappointed with McGuire as well, but am happy to have him come back if that's what the club wants.

Just now, JCon said:

Do we keep Liegghio? 

So, he's not ready at all. Does Castillio punt?

But do you keep the guy around for his entire developmental time? Cameron famously got cut by 6 or 7 teams and didn't stick with us until he was 27 yo. 

Do we let Liegghio keep doing crappy punts for another season until he's "ready"?

Just now, GCn20 said:

I wouldn't if we get Castillo back on a multi year.

I think I agree.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

So, he's not ready at all. Does Castillio punt?

But do you keep the guy around for his entire developmental time? Cameron famously got cut by 6 or 7 teams and didn't stick with us until he was 27 yo. 

Do we let Liegghio keep doing crappy punts for another season until he's "ready"?

I think I agree.

Castillo does punt...and actually is a pretty good punter. I just don't get a strong sense that releasing Liegghio, or any kicker for that matter, would come back and bite us hard. 

Edited by GCn20