2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

4 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

Remember, the Sask media/fan base had Fajardo MOP at the first snap of the 2021 season. That changed quickly this season, once all DC's figured it out...  But, this group (Sk media/fan base) still living in a dream world. The sad thing, Cody keeps reading this stuff, takes it to heart and then it effects his game. I honestly, feel for the guy.

At the start of 2019 Fajardo was the 2nd string QB behind ZC for the Riders. I will give Fajardo this, that once he got his opportunity, he got on a roll and things went his way. But, he is far from the starting QB's out here in the western conference. He did make the statement, I'm in my second year as a starting QB.

he also going into his 6th yr now as a QB....He is not 2 years new to the game, and he is already 30 for 2022 season....He is/was a run first QB...in College and CFL, and can't read a defense to be able to make a play if it's not the primary read, and I cant recall may a time seeing him go through read progressions...he always locked on his guy pre snap...I don't think he has worked on, or has anyone working with him there to try and learn and evolve past the one read, and chuck and duck or run metality.

He would be a great QB used ala the Strev, just not as punishing, or as hard to take down as Strev was, and a guy who in game injury can give u a win...thats what I see

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

he also going into his 6th yr now as a QB....He is not 2 years new to the game, and he is already 30 for 2022 season....He is/was a run first QB...in College and CFL, and can't read a defense to be able to make a play if it's not the primary read, and I cant recall may a time seeing him go through read progressions...he always locked on his guy pre snap...I don't think he has worked on, or has anyone working with him there to try and learn and evolve past the one read, and chuck and duck or run metality.

He would be a great QB used ala the Strev, just not as punishing, or as hard to take down as Strev was, and a guy who in game injury can give u a win...thats what I see

Thanks, Booch, agree with you. He would blend in nicely, with a system that uses two (2) QB's... I have wondered how, he would look in a offense such as the Bombers...

24 minutes ago, Booch said:

astonishing thing about Fajardo is that he's .750 as a starter and he showed in the western final he's got a lot of ability to rescue broken plays.  Gotta respect that.

Think he's a good match for a team whose QB is going to be under duress a lot.  A pocket passer would get killed behind that green OL. Long as your line is so leaky, you might as well roll with Fajardo.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

yup, not worried one bit this off season....nope....not a bit

Quietly, BB have been introducing their rooks to the field all year.

Obviously Legghio had a lot of eyes on him and was under a ton of pressure to follow up on Money's play. But, if he survived 2021, he will only improve next year. 

Then there is Kramdi, O'Leary-Orange, and Cadwallader. These guys, (especially Cad, who played in 14 games) are all going to hit the ground running in 2022. Even Kolankowski played (although not a rook) and could make an impact next year.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Yeah I could see him being a good-great backup QB.

As a starter he’s just a bible thumping version of Dan LeFevour

On 2021-12-13 at 1:50 PM, Nolby said:

I just caught that video of Stanley,there's nothing in his locker room interview that even hinted at retirement. I think Harris is the one that would make sense to retire,I know he's close to 10000 but back to back grey Cup victories for your home town team is a way to ride off.

Growing up in Manitoba I my personal top two ways to retire would be A) winning the cup at home, B) winning the cup in Regina. I hope Harris has one more year to go in and try win it all in front of the fans who hate us the most

7 hours ago, Booch said:

Desjarlais will be here, or trying in NFL...we wont let him go

Jeffcoat as well....he isn't making chump change as it is...so his bump wont be massive...he's going into his 3rd contract. Also remember....that possible extra 15 to 35k for playoff money goes a long way.

Eli won't have border issues, and I would be shocked if he is not back, and not vaxxed....

Assuming that Josh Johnson and his vet salary is gone, tho I sure not huge, but still significant, and if we retain Rose, I could see Taylor getting the SMS axe unless he takes a shave, as I am sure we are gonna try to lock up Darby...he seems to love it here, and with Nichols and Alford (if we don't lose him to NFL) on rookie deals we could conceivably have him and Mike Jones back for next year...which would be huge...I am not including BA in the convo as he I am sure is a lock to be back, and we have BA money already factored into the 2022 mix...and we work around it with the DB's....Not sure about Maston, but coming off injury he may be relegated to a bargain deal this year regardless where he gets offers, so expect him back too.

Certainly we are gonna lose someone of great value, has to happen you would think, but we do have depth to cover it, as well as now proven scouting and strong drafts...I'm not worried as all teams in similar situation, and a good majority needed upgrades to what they had so will splurge, or try to on the shiny objects and it will have ripple effect...only so much money to go around in the league...so once the big wads get spent, a lot of really good guys are gonna have to sign somewhere for less than they made, or the same amount..thats just the economics

Therein is where I think we have a huge advantage....guys wanna stay here, be here, or come here, and knowing if we have the legit shot to get to at least the WF..possible Grey Cup again..well thats money to players and a draw, not to mention the way they treated here, and the culture..we gonna be alright 

Feels a lot like Sukh Chungh to me.

Someone is going to offer more than we can compete with.

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

Chungh got lots of money but he was also going home. If Demski was always coming here, Sukh was always going there. 

I guess my point is where is Desjarlais going to go to be closer to home? He's from around Windsor and played in Windsor. Closest team is Hamilton. Definitely closer but not like playing at home. 

I may be reading the transactions page wrong, but it looks like we don’t have many guys who are under contract next year. Is the option year still a thing? If it is, it looks like we exercised our option on Nichols, Demski, Wilson, Alford, Liegghio and a handful of others today. If it’s not and that’s all we have under contract for 2022 well then my god we are in trouble lol 

Also worth mentioning because I saw someone mention Mourtada hasn’t been cut yet: he’s not under contract, he ended the year on the PR.

Also worth mentioning: we apparently signed a DB named Marwin Evans today. 

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I may be reading the transactions page wrong, but it looks like we don’t have many guys who are under contract next year. Is the option year still a thing? If it is, it looks like we exercised our option on Nichols, Demski, Wilson, Alford, Liegghio and a handful of others today. If it’s not and that’s all we have under contract for 2022 well then my god we are in trouble lol 

Also worth mentioning because I saw someone mention Mourtada hasn’t been cut yet: he’s not under contract, he ended the year on the PR.

We need to sign Mourtada so that we can cut him properly. 

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think that sounds pretty accurate.

I am not too worried about it though. I think the majority of guys want to stay here.

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

The life of the CFL.. we will bring back the majority of the guys. That playoff bonus money is definitely a factor. 

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

We won the Grey Cup the following year.

Worked out pretty great. People were concerned.

At the time, no one could have predicted Desjarlais and Couture would be shutdown interior linemen. I couldn't help remembering the year Mike Kelly lost 3 Canadian OL in free agency. That led to some pretty awful offensive lines. 

5 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

At the time, no one could have predicted Desjarlais and Couture would be shutdown interior linemen. 

I’m sure Walters had an idea. The guy is a genius. He knows his football. He’s still so young when it’s all said and done he’s going to be one of the greatest GM’s of all time.