2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

So, looking ahead....what's our off season going to look like? Coaches and GM all still under contract, right? Players? Who's going to the NFL? Who do we think might bolt in FA? Pieces that we'd like to see the WBB pick up in FA? 

Edited by Noeller

I think our best case scenario is Alford gone, Jeffcoat gone. Don’t think we can avoid a scenario where we don’t lose at least that caliber of talent. Alford, NFL. Jeffcoat, CFL.

Goveia would be a great fit in Ottawa so maybe he goes too.

Expecting Harris retires, thinking Big Stan may as well but he’s so durable that maybe he’s got some mileage left on him. I’m more convinced than I was before that Bighill will play next year as well.

Willie, Alexander, Rose all seem like Bombers for life on D. Same with Darvin (if we want him), Bailey and the boys on the OL. 

I’ve also started to mentally prepare myself for the remote possibility Collaros walks away from football.

I don’t expect it but it wouldn’t shock me. The guy looked so beaten and finished when he was in a rough situation, I wouldn’t be surprised if he decides he wants to just go out on top. It may be further in the rear view mirror than it once was, but the reality is he still could be a hit away from a rough life after football. Man do I ever want him back though.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think our best case scenario is Alford gone, Jeffcoat gone. Don’t think we can avoid a scenario where we don’t lose at least that caliber of talent. Alford, NFL. Jeffcoat, CFL.

Expecting Harris retires, thinking Big Stan may as well but he’s so durable that maybe he’s got some mileage left on him. I’m more convinced than I was before that Bighill will play next year as well.

Willie, Alexander, Rose all seem like Bombers for life on D. Same with Darvin (if we want him), Bailey and the boys on the OL. 

Alford is young and very talents, definitely going to get looks from the NFL,hoping Jeffcoat can work something out but he deserves a raise and no one can blame him.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ve also started to mentally prepare myself for the remote possibility Collaros walks away from football.

I don’t expect it but it wouldn’t shock me. The guy looked so beaten and finished when he was in a rough situation, I wouldn’t be surprised if he decides he wants to just go out on top. It may be further in the rear view mirror than it once was, but the reality is he still could be a hit away from a rough life after football. Man do I ever want him back though.

Idk...getting traded from the gappers had to be the low point of his career. If there was ever a reason to hang them up and just protect your health that would be it. He stuck with it. Now that he has a healthy MOP/GC season behind him it would shock me if he walked away now.

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I sadly agree on Alford getting an NFL shot. Not sure why @Mikethinks Jeffcoat is gone. Hoping Bryant + Harris+Collaros do another year. Suspect most of the guys want the shot at Back to Back to Back and building a dynasty like the Lakers (as Jefferson said).

Don’t really think it’s Jeffcoat per se, I just think that’s where we could probably lose a big piece and absorb it the best (with Kongbo) but I just think it’s realistic to expect we lose somebody 

2 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Sizzling hot take alert

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

If this is the case, that is the one player I do not see us being able to recover from the loss of. Harris, Adams, Jeffcoat, Alford could all go and I feel our depth would find a way, but if Zach is gone that fundamentally weakens our team in a massive way. Would hope for a free agent pick-up rather than what we have In the wings here and now. 

5 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I dont think Mourtada comes back.

I’m not 100% convinced of this, and here is why. If Castillo stays, then no-brainer Mourtada is gone. But if Sergio does depart back to the NFL or elsewhere, then Mourtada may be the best option to at least come back to camp and try out against Liegghio or another pick-up. He was terrible early but did straighten out his angles in his later efforts and went 12/13 in FGs and converts in his last two games. Also has the strongest kickoff leg of the bunch. But with the early struggles the perception was set in stone that he was done from the fans, so I see why people think he will not be here - I just think Walters is not quite ready to cut bait until the Castillo situation is clear. Plus, if the club thought he was useless regardless of who else was here, they would have cut him already. I think Walters is hedging his bets on Castillo’s return and is keeping Mourtada around for training camp insurance for now. Not saying I agree with that approach, just how I think it could play out. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I think Harris stays for 1 more year to get to 10K. But it wouldn't surprise me if he hangs them up either. I figured Bryant would be the most likely to say goodbye. But his interview in the locker room, he was talking about how he wants to keep everyone together to go after a 3 peat....so that gives me hope.

I also think Jeffcoat stays. I can see us losing Lawler(NFL) for a few months anyway. Nichols/Alford and maybe Richardson(CFL)? 

Like always it's going to be an interesting off season.

Bryant I am certain will be back....Even in his talk with Bauming he alluded to it if you listen closely

Jeffcoat NFL window is done...and he won't leave here...we will work it out, These guys wanna be a dynasty, and I truly believe they will sacrifice to make it happen

Biggie isn't retiring, and I highly doubt Harris is....He's on the cusp of 10 000 yards so no way he hangs them up...Maybe he takes a bit of hometown discount to keep the team together

Collaros....it wouldnt shock to see him walk away on top...but I think he has a big fire in him still, and is truly happy playing again.,.U see it in him, so I see him back

Lawler may get a look, but he also has already, and isnt super young anymore and there are tons of guys like him down south and in the draft every year....Bailey is a lifer here

Alford I think may be the one to get a sniff...hope not....but he' earned it....Rose will be back....BA...Hopefully Darby...Mike jones and Nichols I am sure, and Mercy could be back at sam...so Darby and his versatility could be back at corner or half

I think we will be able to retain all the guys we want...and then some

nope...these guys are tight...and will be talking....i cant see anyone we want to retain bolting to another CFL team....our only significant losses should be due to NFL and or retirement...but I truly don't see any retirements.....they all want one more run, and nobody who is of later age who may consider it won't hinder us performance wise next year....win or lose tho next yr, I can see a couple walking away

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Speaking of changes. This may have been Hamiltons last shot with this crew. I'm not sure what they're going to look like next year but they have some serious change coming. I do feel for that fan base, but also love that their "stars" didn't get it done.

yeah...that team as it is now has just had the window slammed shut on it....sucks for the fanbase, as we were just there, but to see mouthpiece Lawrence....whiny quitter Banks and dirty Dylan Wynn miss their shot....was better than actually winning it almost

Just now, Nolby said:

It'll be interesting but I think the biggest leverage we have at bringing players back won't be as much of a money thing, O'Shea has literally changed our culture,players will take bullets for him and he lets his players be players and that's huge.

Culture here, the brotherhood...obviously the winning helps.....but also the way players and their families are treated here, the professional environment that many a layer likens to how the NFL does business, is what will keep guys here, and buddies of players on other teams inquiring, and wanting to be here....truth to it all...if there is a guy we are targeting in free agency, and it works fiscally for our structure...u can bet that we land them.....before...not so much unless we wayyyy over payed

1 minute ago, do or die said:

Most likely guy gone, from a age and aspiration perspective is Alford (NFL)

yup....he is slight and smallish....may be our saving grace....if he not tho.....being back on a rookie deal is huge for retaining guys for 2022....same with Nichols....

There are definitely players that will be looking for pay raises and all that comes out of the pie that feeds other players, so something has to give.  Nick Taylor, Darby or Maston may have to be sacrificed to retain the D rookies, Darvin may not be renewed and Harris may have to take a deeper cut if he wants to return, with Brady looking to be the man, Augustine probably leaves. 

My biggest concern is along the O-line, Couture, Desjarlais, Eli and Gray can probably go wherever they choose and stuff their pockets with twice the cash, it will be hard to retain all of them when other teams are desperate for O-line help.  Neufeld, Stanley and Hardrick probably play out their careers without much fuss.  D-line could see the loss of Kongbo and maybe Sayles as they step up to starter status and their pay stubs should rise significantly.  Jake, Stove, Willie and Jeffcoat probably Bombers for life.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne