My Head Hurts....

do or die

to quote the great Jimmy Buffett and the all time greatest hangover song......

My head hurts, my feet stink, and I don't love Jesus.
It's that kind of mornin',
really was that kind of night.
Tryin' to tell myself that my
condition is improvin' and if I don't
die by Thursday I'll be roarin' Friday night.

12 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Here’s an idea CFL, let’s make Saturday day our day for the Grey Cup. :)

A bit of CFL trivia for you - the Grey Cup was always played on a Saturday for a long period of its history, until 1969 when it began being played on Sundays.  Of course 1970 is an exception, for some reason that year the game was played on a Saturday.  So technically, the Grey Cup was played on a Sunday in 1969, on a Saturday in 1970, and ever since then, has always been played on a Sunday.  Perhaps with Randy wanting to make some big changes to the game, we can move the Grey Cup to Saturday again.

And because I am a trivia buff who just can't stop with the trivia...the 1988 Grey Cup was the last Grey Cup that the Governor General of Canada (at the time being the Right Honorable Jeanne Sauve) presented to a winning football team, which just happened to be the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.  Here's the video evidence:

Fast forward to the 9 minute mark.  I assume that Bill Baker, the Commissioner in 1989, was the one who did away with the tradition of the Governor General presenting the Cup, and he was very happy to do it as he got to give the cup to his Rider buddies in 1989.  I think the CFL should bring this tradition back of having the Governor General be involved.  This is Canada's only true professional sport that is ours alone.  The whole reason that the CFL had the Governor General present the Trophy was that the guy who commissioned the Grey Cup in the first place, was the Governor General of Canada at the time (and his dad was the one who invented Earl Grey tea).  Why this tradition was ended in 1989 is a mystery to me.

It struck home to me yesterday watching the Bombers go up on the stage and accept the trophy from Randy and a clearly unhappy James Duthie, and two masked anonymous RCMP officers, in an empty stadium.  Time to class this Cup presentation up a bit I say, and get the Governor General back into the ceremony.  This is a league with a strong tradition, let's keep it that way!

19 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

How many people could tell you who the current governor general is? I know I couldn't. 

the same amount that could have told you that Jeanne Sauve was the GG in 1988.  The difference being no one had Google back then, or smart phones.  Our current GG is Mary Simon.   And given she can't speak French, she'd keep it short and sweet at the Cup ceremony.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

And because I am a trivia buff who just can't stop with the trivia...the 1988 Grey Cup was the last Grey Cup that the Governor General of Canada (at the time being the Right Honorable Jeanne Sauve) presented to a winning football team, which just happened to be the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.  Here's the video evidence:

Fast forward to the 9 minute mark.  I assume that Bill Baker, the Commissioner in 1989, was the one who did away with the tradition of the Governor General presenting the Cup, and he was very happy to do it as he got to give the cup to his Rider buddies in 1989.  I think the CFL should bring this tradition back of having the Governor General be involved.  This is Canada's only true professional sport that is ours alone.  The whole reason that the CFL had the Governor General present the Trophy was that the guy who commissioned the Grey Cup in the first place, was the Governor General of Canada at the time (and his dad was the one who invented Earl Grey tea).  Why this tradition was ended in 1989 is a mystery to me.

It struck home to me yesterday watching the Bombers go up on the stage and accept the trophy from Randy and a clearly unhappy James Duthie, and two masked anonymous RCMP officers, in an empty stadium.  Time to class this Cup presentation up a bit I say, and get the Governor General back into the ceremony.  This is a league with a strong tradition, let's keep it that way!

I noticed how Demski didn't seem very impressed with Ambrosie. No smile. No eye contact. He just gave Demski the Most Outstanding Canadian Trophy & the player walked away. To me, it was clearly a "Give me the trophy & get out of my face moment". Ambrosie looked a bit taken aback. Almost intimidated.

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

the same amount that could have told you that Jeanne Sauve was the GG in 1988.  The difference being no one had Google back then, or smart phones.  Our current GG is Mary Simon.   And given she can't speak French, she'd keep it short and sweet at the Cup ceremony.

And piss off every whiny separatist like Blanchet in Quebec. 

I think tho part of it was he was hurt...he hurt his ribs on the touchdown to darvin in o.t chipping a defensive end in pass protection...u can see him almost double over in pain...and O'Leary orange came in for extra point...and who btw was wide open to score it if Zack saw him...woukda been nice for a total unknown to score that

43 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think tho part of it was he was hurt...he hurt his ribs on the touchdown to darvin in o.t chipping a defensive end in pass protection...u can see him almost double over in pain...and O'Leary orange came in for extra point...and who btw was wide open to score it if Zack saw him...woukda been nice for a total unknown to score that

I saw that. Mentioned it to my wife & son at the time. 

8 hours ago, Booch said:

Didn't Demski also get shaken up when he was tackled on a jet sweep?