These are the good times people …

IC Khari

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I don't want to take anything away from this 2019-2021 team as they are very dominant, and maybe it's just my memories being foggy, but those teams in the 1980's faced some really strong opposition from teams like BC, Edmonton, and Toronto.  There weren't a whole lot of free spaces on the bingo card, except maybe Ottawa.  The Bombers had to be so good and on their game in those days.  I'm not saying that that isn't the case now, but this season there sure seemed to be very few teams that could match up with Winnipeg, and a whole lot of garbage teams like the Elks, Red Blacks, Lions.  Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but I'd also like to see what this version of the Bombers would do against teams who were much stronger than what we saw this season.  A whole lot of really bad football being played, by almost everyone except the Bombers.

I was around for those years and while there were great players that might man for man be better than todays team such as West, Ty Jones, Clements, Walby, The Sheriff, Battle, Gray , Murphy, etc. They were not the team as a whole that this one was. This team would crush those 80's strong TO, Ed, and BC teams. 

40 minutes ago, coach17 said:

I was around for those years and while there were great players that might man for man be better than todays team such as West, Ty Jones, Clements, Walby, The Sheriff, Battle, Gray , Murphy, etc. They were not the team as a whole that this one was. This team would crush those 80's strong TO, Ed, and BC teams. 

Yes totally different eras.  Can you imagine how many goals Connor McDavid would score if he was playing in 1981 instead of 2021?  It wouldn't even be fair (hardly fair now!).  I agree this team would crush the teams of the 1980's.  Conditioning etc has changed a lot since those days.  And yes, this team has a ton of talent.  It just seemed most of the season we were playing in a different league than most other teams, that's how big the talent discrepancy was.

10 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'm pretty sure the entire province of SK would just implode and become a massive sinkhole.

The Rider fanbase falls 10,000 years in the past. They look up & are in wonder of that blue & gold light in the sky. The thousands of Rider fans all cry out, "We don't want to go back!!"

35 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yes totally different eras.  Can you imagine how many goals Connor McDavid would score if he was playing in 1981 instead of 2021?  It wouldn't even be fair (hardly fair now!).  I agree this team would crush the teams of the 1980's.  Conditioning etc has changed a lot since those days.  And yes, this team has a ton of talent.  It just seemed most of the season we were playing in a different league than most other teams, that's how big the talent discrepancy was.

Yeah, the current Bombers would crush those 1980s teams.

Especially since most of the players from the 1980s would be in their 60s now. 

2 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Yeah, the current Bombers would crush those 1980s teams.

Especially since most of the players from the 1980s would be in their 60s now. 

The offensive & defensive lines would be the difference. Back in 1984, the OL was 255-280 lbs with the exception of Chris Walby pushing 300. Now we have guys that are 295-320 lbs. The game would be lost on the LOS.

I can say with confidence that guys like DL Stan Mikawos, DE Tony Norman, S Scott Flagel, LB Tyrone Jones, DB David Shaw, OL Chris Walby, QB Tom Clements, RB Willard Reaves, SB's Joe Pop & Rick House, WR's Jeff Boyd & James  Murphy from that 84 GC team could all play today if they were in their primes. Maybe not all on the Bombers because of the dynamic players we have now but on other teams in the CFL. In. Their. Prime. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

31 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The offensive & defensive lines would be the difference. Back in 1984, the OL was 255-280 lbs with the exception of Chris Walby pushing 300. Now we have guys that are 295-320 lbs. There were no Willie Jefferson or Jackson Jeffcoat to contend with. The game would be lost on the LOS.

I can say with confidence that guys like DL Stan Mikawos, DE Tony Norman, S Scott Flagel, LB Tyrone Jones, DB David Shaw, OL Chris Walby, QB Tom Clements, RB Willard Reaves, SB's Joe Pop & Rick House, WR's Jeff Boyd & James  Murphy from that 84 GC team could all play today if they were in their primes. Maybe not all on the Bombers because of the dynamic players we have now but on other teams in the CFL. In. Their. Prime. 

It would be a pleasure to see Tyrone in his prime again, mentoring this crop of young bucks we have now.

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The offensive & defensive lines would be the difference. Back in 1984, the OL was 255-280 lbs with the exception of Chris Walby pushing 300. Now we have guys that are 295-320 lbs. The game would be lost on the LOS.

Those guys were all great players. I have a 58 James West jersey but only because 35 Ty Jones was sold out.  

But 1985 athletes can not compete with 2021 athletes.  Not only training but nutrition and techniques are all way more advanced now. The players are bigger, stronger, more resilient and have more technique and knowledge. 

I am getting older but I know that the good old days are never better.  

45 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Already booked time off work and made a reservation for a van to take the boys and I to Regina to watch our three-peat in 2022!!! LETS GO BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE!

Talking with some friends about getting an AirBnB for GC next week. Will definitely be taking the time off work for it. Can't wait!