Jump to content

2021 Grey Cup GDT - Bombers vs. Tiger-Cats


TrueBlue4ever
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

I was born in '80, so I never really got to see Moon play, but I still have to think he's the best to ever do it in this league. One of those guys who shoulda never been anywhere other than the NFL, but for that systemic, centuries-old racism down there. Disgusting. What a hero that guy is. Flutie, shoulda never been here, but for being a few inches too short. We have been pretty lucky with our little boutique league, to have players of that calibre up here, even for a short while...

I am a Vikings fan seeing a 38 year old Moon still get it done was amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, do or die said:

I remember watching an X-game against the Esks.......anticipating that Tom Wilkinson didn't have much left at QB.  He played a half....and the new backup came in......some guy named Warren Moon.  
By the time that game ended.... was mightily depressed.   This guy seriously didn't belong in this league....and would be the starter real soon.....and we would never beat these dudes.    And that's what happened.....

Yes Edmonton got blessed with so many good players in that exact same time frame both on the Oilers and Esks, it was a tragedy to see both teams win so often back then.  Going into games knowing you were going to lose, no matter what.  Kind of like how it was for teams that played the Bombers this year I guess...lol...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those Edm. teams were cash heavy in those days....There was no sms at the time and they were making all kinds of coin and spent it on top tier players...much to the chagrin of the rest of the league...I believe that was the reason the league instituted the sms so there was more of an even playing field.....It wasn't long after that the schmoes came back down to earth, when they only had to spend what everyone else in the league had to invest in players....Today it's not a money problem that has sunk them to new depths ....it's more a personnell problem in the coaching and running of the club...poor hiring choices....And with that we might lose a real good one to that club as Ted Goveia is headed there for a GM interview today......All I can say is , from my biased point of view......don't take it Ted....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

Those Edm. teams were cash heavy in those days....There was no sms at the time and they were making all kinds of coin and spent it on top tier players...much to the chagrin of the rest of the league...I believe that was the reason the league instituted the sms so there was more of an even playing field.....It wasn't long after that the schmoes came back down to earth, when they only had to spend what everyone else in the league had to invest in players....Today it's not a money problem that has sunk them to new depths ....it's more a personnell problem in the coaching and running of the club...poor hiring choices....And with that we might lose a real good one to that club as Ted Goveia is headed there for a GM interview today......All I can say is , from my biased point of view......don't take it Ted....

yeah, you have to think, knowing what he knows now, would Lapo have taken the head coaching gig in Ottawa?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah, you have to think, knowing what he knows now, would Lapo have taken the head coaching gig in Ottawa?

He for sure would have taken it even if it was a worse tire fire. Very few new head coaches get to be handed a winning combination from the get go and those that do seldom are able to keep it. He knew what he was getting into and needed to prove himself. We should respect him for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sure he would have as most if not all career coaches think they have what it takes to turn things around doing it their way. 

Taking on a blue ribbon franchise leaves only down side for a new leader. To be honest, the most ruthless executives want to take on a tire fire. Statistically, any improvement makes one look like a miracle maker. As an example, the perennially struggling 2 bit Virtucon lost its leader due to a severe freezing. 30 years later, without a narcissistic head, yet diligent No. 2, it became one of the most successful modern day turnaround stories in history. They even made movies about it! It’s a classic business school tutorial. 

Edited by Rod Black
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021-12-17 at 4:00 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

 Even as late as 1980, the Als signed the top NFL draft pick of the Cleveland Browns by the name of MLB Tom Cousineau. These guys were all studs & legit NFL players & they all played up here. Lest I forget the Als also signed RB David Overstreet, WR Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Rec Fred Biletnikoff, DL Keith Gary & WR James Scott who caught 81 passes for over 1,400 yards & 6 TD's in 1981 but returned to the Chicago Bears  a year later. 

Vince Ferragamo too!

tho poor Vince could never figure out how to deal with the extra man in coverage.  Threw a lot of picks and I don't think he ever won a start.  a TJ Rubleyish performance from a big-deal NFL star.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Vince Ferragamo too!

tho poor Vince could never figure out how to deal with the extra man in coverage.  Threw a lot of picks and I don't think he ever won a start.  a TJ Rubleyish performance from a big-deal NFL star.

The difference between the CFL & NFL. Some guys get it right away. Some guys don't.

In fairness to Vince Ferragamo, I read that he & his wife moved their family to Montreal. They tried to be a part of the community where they lived in the Montreal area. They even took French lessons to try to fit in. I never heard one story about him being an asshat to the media or fans. He was offerred a lot of $$$ to play for the Als & why wouldn't he take it? In a lot of ways it's too bad it didn't work out for Ferragamo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Taking on a blue ribbon franchise leaves only down side for a new leader. To be honest, the most ruthless executives want to take on a tire fire. Statistically, any improvement makes one look like a miracle maker. As an example, the perennially struggling 2 bit Virtucon lost its leader due to a severe freezing. 30 years later, without a narcissistic head, yet diligent No. 2, it became one of the most successful modern day turnaround stories in history. They even made movies about it! It’s a classic business school tutorial. 

You may be fricken right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching the o.t 2 point convert...A key thing overlooked was a psych job by Woli and Zack...watch for them having a one on one "discussion" prior to snap...and then when play runs..watch Woli release and suck 3 guys to him..main one Bailey's cover guy leaving him wide open for the 2 point grab...u can even see Adeleke wondering wtf and why was that guy wide open....sneaky buggers lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Booch said:

Watching the o.t 2 point convert...A key thing overlooked was a psych job by Woli and Zack...watch for them having a one on one "discussion" prior to snap...and then when play runs..watch Woli release and suck 3 guys to him..main one Bailey's cover guy leaving him wide open for the 2 point grab...u can even see Adeleke wondering wtf and why was that guy wide open....sneaky buggers lol

I'll never get tired of watching that OT, so when I watch it again today I'll look for Woli.  It was funny watching Adeleke throwing his hands up going "WTF" as Bailey was basically uncovered.  You could also hear all the air get sucked out of that stadium on that catch, as the fans just all collectively went "Oh no, we not only need to score, we need to get two points after we score, on one of the best defenses in the past 50 years in the CFL, maybe ever".  The look on Needy B's face said it all, they knew they were done.

Edited by kelownabomberfan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bighill almost jumped as well in the play Nichols made to thwart the TD...game of inches indeed

Kongbo too made a key play in the run stuff Biggie and Rose made late in 4th quarter forcing a field goal..played it perfect..forced Masolli to bubble back and flip to Jackson where biggie and rose were able to clean up..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Booch said:

Watching the o.t 2 point convert...A key thing overlooked was a psych job by Woli and Zack...watch for them having a one on one "discussion" prior to snap...and then when play runs..watch Woli release and suck 3 guys to him..main one Bailey's cover guy leaving him wide open for the 2 point grab...u can even see Adeleke wondering wtf and why was that guy wide open....sneaky buggers lol

I remember seeing that live and thinking there is no way this ball is going to Wally after they had that chat. Didn't realize he drew that much coverage though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I remember seeing that live and thinking there is no way this ball is going to Wally after they had that chat. Didn't realize he drew that much coverage though.

yup....musta been a planned trick....but it sucked 3 guys over and freed up Bailey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Just rewatched the game last night. Just saw a hellacious hit by Jeffcoat that I missed the first time. Just steamrolls the RB behind the play at 7:02 of the 2nd Q. I highly recommend anyone who didn't notice this one (behind the play) to take a look. Hilarious.

There was another play, I think in the OT, where Jefferson just tosses the RB aside like a rag doll trying to get to Masoli.  I think it was the play before the INT, IIRC.  I didn't get a chance to re-watch yesterday as I got engrossed in the Jets game, something that hasn't happened to me in awhile lol...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

There was another play, I think in the OT, where Jefferson just tosses the RB aside like a rag doll trying to get to Masoli.  I think it was the play before the INT, IIRC.  I didn't get a chance to re-watch yesterday as I got engrossed in the Jets game, something that hasn't happened to me in awhile lol...

watch in O.T ...I think was O.T where Willie sends the tackle on his ass....funny

 

47 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Just rewatched the game last night. Just saw a hellacious hit by Jeffcoat that I missed the first time. Just steamrolls the RB behind the play at 7:02 of the 2nd Q. I highly recommend anyone who didn't notice this one (behind the play) to take a look. Hilarious.

was that where hi pinned him after the play like a wrestler?...I Laughed at that as well, if thats the same play

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021-12-19 at 11:28 AM, kelownabomberfan said:

I'll never get tired of watching that OT, so when I watch it again today I'll look for Woli.  It was funny watching Adeleke throwing his hands up going "WTF" as Bailey was basically uncovered.  You could also hear all the air get sucked out of that stadium on that catch, as the fans just all collectively went "Oh no, we not only need to score, we need to get two points after we score, on one of the best defenses in the past 50 years in the CFL, maybe ever".  The look on Needy B's face said it all, they knew they were done.

Hindsight is 20/20, if Hamilton OT strategy was to catch up from behind, why wouldn't they go 3rd and goal to try to win the cup?

Not sure if Steinauer had the gut though!  

Going to OT was a safe bet for sure...!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...