2021 Grey Cup GDT - Bombers vs. Tiger-Cats

TrueBlue4ever

10 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Re-watching the game again, now that I can fully calm down knowing that we win - a lot has been said about the Ti-Cats taking a knee on the kick-off to make it 25-22, but what about the mental error on the previous kickoff after the Demski TD, where the Ti-Cat player tries to bat the ball out of the air (and unsuccessfully hits it as it goes by him) and then it sails through the end zone.  If that player had been coached properly by his special teams coach Reinebold (lol) he would have let that ball sail through the end zone untouched, which according to CFL rules, would not have resulted in a rouge.  As much as the knee to make it 25-22 was important, it wouldn't have been as big a deal had the Hamilton player not touched the ball on the previous kick-off before it went through the end zone.  Mental errors.   As I said previously, it's amazing to me how these games always boil down to a few important plays, that either make the difference due to superior human effort or mental error.  Finally, due to an over-riding amount of talent and coaching, the Bombers, after being on the short-end of the stick for so long, are finally winning those battles on the important plays that make the difference.

You can't tell me if the roles were reversed, that Janarion Grant, sitting back waiting for the kickoff with a strong wind in his face, would have touched the football before it went out of touch in a game that close.  He would have been told by the coaches to let it go through the end zone without conceding a point.  Because that's what good coaching in that situation would have advised, and Hamilton, in that situation, did not have good coaching.  Thankfully, that's what we have.  FINALLY.  We out-coached Hamilton in every phase of the game.  So great to see after so many years of other teams out-coaching us.  

In my experience returners on KOs are taught to never let a ball get behind them unless there is zero chance of catching it. It's rare air for a KO to go out the back of the end zone though so that's probably why. 

4 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

I guess I was ahead of my time. I never cheered for the green team. Although I hated the Edmonton green team even more. How could they have a high school kid kicking punts? Not fair at all. (timeline is a bit off here but there has been a lot of beer and stuff between that time and now)

Yup I grew up hating Edmonton more than anything.  I had to live through that period where they won 5 straight cups.  And we never ever beat them.  They always found a way to win, even if it was on sketchy roughing the passer calls on John Helton.  

That being said, five straight Bomber cups sure would be nice.  Only three more to go!

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

In my experience returners on KOs are taught to never let a ball get behind them unless there is zero chance of catching it. It's rare air for a KO to go out the back of the end zone though so that's probably why. 

ok, then let's just call it luck on that kick-off that the ball bounced at just the right time such that it went high enough so that the returner couldn't bring it down, but low enough where he could still touch it before it went out of bounds.  The Bomber bounce lol...

Or maybe Sergio just planned it that way lol...

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yup I grew up hating Edmonton more than anything.  I had to live through that period where they won 5 straight cups.  And we never ever beat them.  They always found a way to win, even if it was on sketchy roughing the passer calls on John Helton.  

That being said, five straight Bomber cups sure would be nice.  Only three more to go!

Looks like we were the team to stop the streak in 1983! 

Edmonton changed the East-West thing & the way we cheer in the Grey Cups. Five straight wins & the Bombers being knocked out by that team at least twice in the West Final started the hatred. It was no longer an East vs West thing anymore. It was anyone but Edmonton. That's carried over until now. I was at the 1986 Grey Cup cheering wildly for Hamilton who won. I had Esks fans asking why we weren't cheering for a Western team. I yelled back to one Edmonton fan, "You're kidding, right??" They couldn't understand the hatred. 

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah, finally.  Boy that felt good.

Hugh Campbell & Warren Moon had left for Houston in the 1983 off season so they weren't the same te.... Nah! It felt good!!! Lol.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

28 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Edmonton changed the East-West thing & the way we cheer in the Grey Cups. Five straight wins & the Bombers being knocked out by that team at least twice in the West Final started the hatred. It was no longer an East vs West thing anymore. It was anyone but Edmonton. That's carried over until now. I was at the 1986 Grey Cup cheering wildly for Hamilton who won. I had Esks fans asking why we weren't cheering for a Western team. I yelled back to one Edmonton fan, "You're kidding, right??" They couldn't understand the hatred. 

Hugh Campbell & Warren Moon had left for Houston in the 1983 off season so they weren't the same te.... Nah! It felt good!!! Lol.

Moon was playing in that 1983 semi-final game that Winnipeg won, wasn't he?  Campbell had left after 1982 and went to the LA Express and then to the Oilers in 1984, where Moon joined him.  

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Moon was playing in that 1983 semi-final game that Winnipeg won, wasn't he?

Yes he was.

Threw for 5600 yards and 31 TDs  that year.

In his final CFL season of 1983, he threw for a league-record 5,648 yards and won the CFL's Most Outstanding Player Award. The season was not as successful for the Eskimos however, as they finished 8-8. Having barely made the playoffs (which they would have missed altogether if not for a loss by the Calgary Stampeders to the last place Saskatchewan Roughriders in the last week of the regular season), Moon's Eskimos were throttled in Winnipeg by the Blue Bombers in the West Semi-final.

Edited by Geebrr

21 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Yes he was.

Threw for 5600 yards and 31 TDs  that year.

In his final CFL season of 1983, he threw for a league-record 5,648 yards and won the CFL's Most Outstanding Player Award. The season was not as successful for the Eskimos however, as they finished 8-8. Having barely made the playoffs (which they would have missed altogether if not for a loss by the Calgary Stampeders to the last place Saskatchewan Roughriders in the last week of the regular season), Moon's Eskimos were throttled in Winnipeg by the Blue Bombers in the West Semi-final.

Weird that all it took was Campbell leaving as coach for that team to fall down.  Especially with all of that talent still in the stable and such an amazing QB as Moon still at the controls.  Not sure what happened there.  

35 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Moon was playing in that 1983 semi-final game that Winnipeg won, wasn't he?  Campbell had left after 1982 and went to the LA Express and then to the Oilers in 1984, where Moon joined him.  

You know, you may be right... I just rechecked the Esks roster & Moon is there. Good one, KBF.

Pete Katella took over as HC from cCmpbell in 1983 but was fired mid season. IIRC, there were issues with Katella & some of the veterans & the way he treated them. A lot of players weren't happy. He was replaced by Jackie Parker. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Weird that all it took was Campbell leaving as coach for that team to fall down.  Especially with all of that talent still in the stable and such an amazing QB as Moon still at the controls.  Not sure what happened there.  

5 Cups in a row, complacency must have set in at some point. 

Other than that, it is odd.

I was born in '80, so I never really got to see Moon play, but I still have to think he's the best to ever do it in this league. One of those guys who shoulda never been anywhere other than the NFL, but for that systemic, centuries-old racism down there. Disgusting. What a hero that guy is. Flutie, shoulda never been here, but for being a few inches too short. We have been pretty lucky with our little boutique league, to have players of that calibre up here, even for a short while...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I was born in '80, so I never really got to see Moon play, but I still have to think he's the best to ever do it in this league. One of those guys who shoulda never been anywhere other than the NFL, but for that systemic, centuries-old racism down there. Disgusting. What a hero that guy is. Flutie, shoulda never been here, but for being a few inches too short. We have been pretty lucky with our little boutique league, to have players of that calibre up here, even for a short while...

Earlier than that NFL caliber QBs such as Glenn Dobbs came up here and were paid more than in the 4 down league. Even though he played for the Riders it's a great story. Top 10 games at Mosaic Stadium: Glenn Dobbs quarterbacked Roughriders to 1951 West title | Regina Leader Post

All kinds of players came up here from the 1950's to the early 80's. NFL stars like Bud Grant, D i c k Huffman, Neil Armstrong & Buddy Tinsley of the Bombers. Or college players like Ken Ploen, Jim Van Pelt, D i c k Shatto, Joe Theismann, Leo Lewis, Don Luzzi, Tom Brown, Joe Kapp, Jackie Parker, Jim Corrigal, Tim Anderson, Vic Washington, John Helton, Jim Stillwagon, Johnny Rodgers & a lot more. Even as late as 1980, the Als signed the top NFL draft pick of the Cleveland Browns by the name of MLB Tom Cousineau. These guys were all studs & legit NFL players & they all played up here. Lest I forget the Als also signed RB David Overstreet, WR Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Rec Fred Biletnikoff, DL Keith Gary & WR James Scott who caught 81 passes for over 1,400 yards & 6 TD's in 1981 but returned to the Chicago Bears  a year later. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

All kinds of players came up here from the 1950's to the early 80's. NFL stars like Bud Grant, **** Huffman & Buddy Tinsley of the Bombers. Or college players like Ken Ploen, Jim Van Pelt, **** Shatto, Leo Lewis, Don Luzzi, Tom Brown, Joe Kapp, Jackie Parker, Jim Corrigal, Tim Anderson, Vic Washington, John Helton, Jim Stillwagon, Johnny Rodgers & a lot more. Even into the early 80's we signed one of the top NFL draft pick of the Cleveland Browns in MLB Tom Cousineau. These guys were all studs & legit NFL players & they all played up here. 

Rocket Ismail!

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

I remember watching an X-game against the Esks.......anticipating that Tom Wilkinson didn't have much left at QB.  He played a half....and the new backup came in......some guy named Warren Moon.  
By the time that game ended.... was mightily depressed.   This guy seriously didn't belong in this league....and would be the starter real soon.....and we would never beat these dudes.    And that's what happened.....